Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was driving on the highway in the left lane when all of a sudden my engine decides to cutoff on me. No throttle available car just started coasting. Error message on the driver screen said something about consult user manual or something like that. Didn’t have time to read it as I was trying to avoid getting rear ended by trucks. Fortunately I was able to cross lanes in time to pull over into a bus stop. Turned car off and on and everything went back to normal. This could of gone a lot worse I was lucky not to have caused an accident. Did a search and found someone that had a similar issue which the dealer told them turned out to be a faulty fuel pump relay. Taking the car to the dealer on Sat but was just curious if anyone else had this issue and what it turned it to be. Hoping to have some info I can share with Mercedes in case the Tech has no clue where to start looking. Thanks all. My car is a 2014 CLA 250 4 Matic with only 22K miles on it.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Oh gosh here we go again ... this limp mode will create stored “implausible” codes in the ecu and the initial quick test should display the error locations
Two more common causes are (1) the accelerator connector faults and (2) frayed main harness location between battery tray and engine
But have them run the IQT under their Xentry diag system

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot JMC really appreciate the help. This same thing happened about 2 years ago but thought it was a glitch with the eco mode because it happened when I came to a stop. The highway incident was a lot more sobering needless to say. One thing I did notice though the day it happened while I was reversing out of the garage I noticed my backup camera didn’t engage. Thought that was weird and sure enough the cutoff happened about 20 min later while driving. Not sure if there’s is a correlation there. Anyway thanks again.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Sure thing hope all gets resolved
The rear cam may be related to a particular signal acquisition module tied to the shifter signals so not sure how that has a dependency on engine operation ... but with these cars there may be some odd software setup we dont know about
Anyway let them scan it to locate the fault logs

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
This has happened to my 2014 CLA on several occassions when my car was new, with 2-3 trips to the dealership who found nothing. I even let them keep my car for a few days and they test drove for a total of xx miles. All negative.

I installed pedal commander back in 2015 and the limp mode never came back.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input Picard. My car is currently at the dealer for service but I don’t have confidence in that they will be able to isolate the issue. Similar to your case. With that said that Pedal Commander device looks very interesting. Could you share the model number of the one you purchased. I just looked it up but didn’t see one compatible for CLA models. I may give that a try either way.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the input Picard. My car is currently at the dealer for service but I don’t have confidence in that they will be able to isolate the issue. Similar to your case. With that said that Pedal Commander device looks very interesting. Could you share the model number of the one you purchased. I just looked it up but didn’t see one compatible for CLA models. I may give that a try either way.
This one (PedalBox) is compatible: https://www.pedalbox.com/en/mercede...tic-117-351-218ps-160kw-1991ccm/pedalbox.html

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Must have been the connection pins within the accelerator module in your particular case ... and the harness work may well have reset those connections (the disconnect then reconnect step in their diagnostic procedures)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So just heard back from Mercedes. They left a message telling me that they replaced the accelerator pedal (under warranty). I haven’t had a chance to speak to them directly but apparently there was an internal failure of this component based on the text I received. The car was running fine when I drove there and did not go into pre-safe / limp mode so I’m guessing maybe it was faulty and would fail intermittently. I’ll reply with more info. once I have a chance to speak to them. Thanks again to everyone that chimed in to help really appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
had this issue myself mate , after numerous visits was finally diagnosed as the faulty accelator pedal as JMC has touched on, first couple of times they tried to claim it was a software update that was needed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my car i had for 3 years, 3-4 visits and it was gone, It was a ECU update that fixed the problem, take it in to the dealership right away for a ECU update! Hope it fixes the problem! Good luck!

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Yeah different production runs had variant problem centers ... which makes sense since the issues are in the particular batches of parts or software modules

·
Registered
92 Posts
This has happened to my 2014 CLA on several occassions when my car was new, with 2-3 trips to the dealership who found nothing. I even let them keep my car for a few days and they test drove for a total of xx miles. All negative.

View attachment 61118
The message is clear to me, don't tamper with getting error codes,

this is not a problem for me - i wouldn't know how to do that, and maybe it is better that way - so i always go to the dealer ...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
.......I’ll reply with more info. once I have a chance to speak to them. Thanks again to everyone that chimed in to help really appreciate it.
Were you able to speak with them?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts