Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you dont use' premium 93 fuel the engine light will come on with silver or regular gasoline. please do not try this.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
if you dont use' premium 93 fuel the engine light will come on with silver or regular gasoline. please do not try this.
Are you saying this because it has happened to you or because you think it will happen to you?

-Eric

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a CLA 45 AMG in order and we don't have 93 fuel here...only 91 fuel.

Do I will have problems with my car or performance will be affected ?

What is the fuel octane rate that is write on the car ?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Guys,

Relax.
The manual says 91 octane is the minimum.
I have no idea where the OP got this from or why he posted it.
The manual even covers what you should do if you have to use lower octane fuel.
Your car's ECU will react accordingly to avoid knocking if you put Regular (87) fuel in your car.
No need to lose sleep.

-Eric

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,

Relax.
The manual says 91 octane is the minimum.
I have no idea where the OP got this from or why he posted it.
The manual even covers what you should do if you have to use lower octane fuel.
Your car's ECU will react accordingly to avoid knocking if you put Regular (87) fuel in your car.
No need to lose sleep.

-Eric

Eric, i don't encourage it at all. my neighbor filled up silver at BP and his engine light came on he has a CLA 250 also
I jsut dont think its worth taking the risk, the manual doesn't state alot of things.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Eric, i don't encourage it at all. my neighbor filled up silver at BP and his engine light came on he has a CLA 250 also
I jsut dont think its worth taking the risk, the manual doesn't state alot of things.
Forget the colors, 91 or higher is what it calls for. Maybe the gas cap wasn't on all the way, this can produce a CEL.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
27 Posts
filling with lower octane level increases knocking. If the engine is tuned for 91, then it is recommended to use 91. One or two fills up is fine, but never below is better. This increases your engines life. Think of it this way, saving $2-3 per fill up but paying mechanic for tune up/ repairs or filling up with recommended fuel and avoid headaches.

Filling up with 93 octane is even better and increases few hp, but not necessary.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
91 is the minimum and the engine should be happy with it. Otherwise, MB shouldn't be selling the CLA here in Vegas where 93 is scarce and almost non-existent.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
91 is the minimum and the engine should be happy with it. Otherwise, MB shouldn't be selling the CLA here in Vegas where 93 is scarce and almost non-existent.

Exactly 91 minimum. You shouldn't put a lesser grade. If you have access to 93 even better.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I don't know what 'silver' is but your neighbor either didn't put on their gas cap properly or had a different emissions related issue.

-Eric

·
Registered
488 Posts
You are right about the 95 or 98 being RON, but I believe your 91 or 93 is also RON.
my source: Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FUEL: RON
"regular" gasoline in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US: 91–92
"EuroSuper" or "EuroPremium" or "Regular unleaded" in Europe, "SP95" in France: 95

Or do you mean AKI?
"Premium" or "Super unleaded" gasoline in US (10% ethanol blend) RON:97 AKI:92-93

"Super E10" 95 RON and "Super Plus E5" 98 RON are available practically everywhere. Big suppliers such as Shell or Aral offer 100 RON gasoline (Shell V-Power, Aral Ultimate) at almost every fuel station. "Normal" 91 RON is only rarely offered because lower production amounts make it more expensive than "Super" 95 RON. Due to a new European Union law, gas stations are being required to offer a minimum rate of the new mixture of "Super" 95 RON with up to 10% Ethanol branded as "Super E10".[citation needed] Producers are discontinuing "Super E5" 95 RON with <5% Ethanol[citation needed] so cars that are unable to use E10 must use 98 RON petrol instead.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
silver is the middle one at BP. i filled up 40$ last night i got phenomenal MPG 38MPG highway i like seeing that gas gauge all the way to the top lol ;) i only fill up 93 though especialy if you have a CLA 45 93 is a must !

·
Registered
178 Posts
Relax everybody. As many people have said 91 is all you need. In many parts of the US 93 just isn't available. The check engine light is a known issue and MB already has a software update to fix it. Just take your car to the dealer and be done with it. I think people should do a little more research before posting statements that aren't true and freaking people out for no reason.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Relax everybody. As many people have said 91 is all you need. In many parts of the US 93 just isn't available. The check engine light is a known issue and MB already has a software update to fix it. Just take your car to the dealer and be done with it. I think people should do a little more research before posting statements that aren't true and freaking people out for no reason.
👍

1 - 20 of 23 Posts