Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok this is new ... the starter failed?!
Was eco used all the time?????

Funny this thread just reminded me of a couple days ago a bmw stopped for us to use the crosswalk and it was silent (so i thought it was an e car) but then when the starter engaged i practically jumped out of my skin when the wretched sounds started ... i swear it sounded like the pinion was grinding against the ring gear ... and i said out loud “there goes the starter!” and the poor guy driving the car heard me and sadly acknowledged “yeah i know”
I never touched the drive mode selector so I assumed it was always in Normal mode. I’ve done almost 20k miles in 7 months and in a bunch of stop and go traffic so I don’t know why I didn’t expect the starter to fail, with the car starting and stopping every 30 seconds (I like to creep up in traffic so I’m constantly coming to a complete stop then creeping up so the car is shutting off and on constantly until it decides to stop).

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
well ... your usage pattern is high wear
most of us have that darn eco off for good reasons

·
Registered
368 Posts
So major update as well they’ve figured out what the cause of failure was.......drum roll please....The Starter failed and needs a replacement. Auto start stop has to go off indefinitely now (how do you do that).
That's a question we've been asking since 2013. We'd all chip in to your Go-Fund-Me page for that solution.

We're all starting the car and pushing the %@&*! ECO/A button every time we re-start. I'm just glad that on our early models - once per start did it. After 2015 it came back on again when changing to sport, manual, comfort, etc. and you have to push it again!

We've heard a few folks complain theirs' stopped working and the rest of us are hoping for that problem.

On another note: I feel bad for those that have soured on MB. It appears most of the negative feelings could have been prevented by having the right dealer. I'm glad you finally found a good one.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts