Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Rate the quality of your factory paint on your Mercedes CLA 250/45?

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed the many tiny chips and nicks the paint job gets. Is it just me or is this a less than standard paint on a Mercedes CLA 250/45 vs other Mercedes models?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have almost the same car as you and I have the same problem. I don't know if it's the paint or the fact it's more noticeable on the white. It sucks though because I always thought white was supposed to not show those kind of things as much.

-Brandon

·
Registered
296 Posts
Same here white car pits all over the doors

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
0ver a year with mine had 2 tiny chips passenger quarter panel and on drivers rear door.
I repaired it with DR colorchip came out perfect.
paint quality is a hell of a lot better then my old Subaru sti.
heavy wax is your friend and do not tail gate.
you see trucks run away if possible.

Reactions: Eclipse1825

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
my white CLA also has a number of pitted chips, I did some touch-up work and if I was really anal about it, I would have gone crazy now, but as it stands, if I stand like 3 feet away and not see it apparently, then other people will probably not see it as well. out of sight, out of mind.

honestly, for a reasonably priced "upscale" car, I don't really have a complaint about it. If I drove a ferrari, yeah, I will be totally anal about it, and I would be so high strung about chips. If really anal, why not 3M skin the whole car?

Honestly, no matter how good a paint job is, like what Lexus claims theirs to be, the paint surface is really only at most 1-2mm thick, a high velocity small stone chip will crack that paint layer really easily. Just drive sensibly and a avoid driving behind dump trucks, pickup trucks or those crazies who like to spin their rear wheels upon take off. A small stone chip is small issue compared if the engine was malfunctioning.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't see any issues with the paint that wouldn't be seen on a more expensive Mercedes. Are most people seeing issues on flat white or black as opposed to metallic colors? Can't think of any other reason why, and even that doesn't seem likely.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't see any issues with the paint that wouldn't be seen on a more expensive Mercedes. Are most people seeing issues on flat white or black as opposed to metallic colors? Can't think of any other reason why, and even that doesn't seem likely.
I have owned BMWs , Acuras... same issue with stone chips.

And the paint does not have to be metallic paints or solid colour paints, the paint layer is still 1-2mm thick and will chip due to stone chips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts