Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the dealer had resolved the COMMAND system software issue, and having a little skepticism about aftermarket OEM units, I have now booked to have the NAVTV oem backup camera to be installed on my CLA this weekend. Will provide update when its installed.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Keep us posted MAV. Whom will perform the install? Will they have to drill any holes in the body or trunk for the installation of the camera?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep us posted MAV. Whom will perform the install? Will they have to drill any holes in the body or trunk for the installation of the camera?
It's a outfit called RPM ELECTRONICS in Burnaby, Vancouver. From what I gathered in my research they do lots of high end cars including mercedes bmw Ferrari Porsche Audi etc... total projected cost, tax included = CAD1228.00 or with today's exchange rate USD 850.00

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Good luck and please keep us apprised. I was going to go with Emerald until I learned they had to drill the body. Then Navi Tech until I lost hundreds of dollars on a system that never worked. I am searching for a system that works. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The reverse camera interface unit was installed today. It's the Navtv interface unit and my installer was able to install the camera at the same place as the factory camera. Flush mount camera. Very discrete and small. When it was done, it took them 5 hours to install and the work I have to say is very professional. Aside from the small tiny infra-red dong discretely placed below the dash panel, everything is very nicely put together.
The unit has the guidance lines as well and 720p HD colour as well.
No drilling of holes into metal. Clean install.

There is a 2 sec delay for the display to switch to rearview camera , but that's fine for me.
This unit can also add a front camera at the lower front lip for watching out for those darn parking humps.

Overall, Quite happy with install.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Mav, you stated no drilling of holes in metal. How and where was the camera installed? Pictures? What is your impression of the picture quality? 2 second delay should not be an issue. Congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good for you glad it all worked out. IR dongle thingie for ?????
It has the remote control that can be used to switch to front camera (if installed) or use watch video if DVD unit installed.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Total cost was USD850.00 tax included.

Now it feels better as folks will not say "what ? A mercedes and you don't have a rearview camera?"

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have been 3 days now since I installed the NAVTV backup camera system. Really glad I made the investment. Now when I back up, I can immediately see what's behind me, and only depend on the backing up beepers for the places where the camera can't catch, as the camera only has a 140 degree field of view. But I really appreciate RPM electronics for working to put the camera at the same place as the factory system, and the camera they provided, was so clear, real HD quality. Way better than my backup camera in my 2007 Acura RDX. The guidelines are not quite on point, but that is expected, as the camera is set about 2cm off center of the trunk. I believe this would be true of most factory systems as well.

But that being said, I noticed that with the remote control, I can pull up a menu which appears to allow some kind of adjustment to the guideline positions. I will check it out with NAVTV but ultimately, its not a big deal.

I am contemplating installing a front camera to the lower lip, so I can ensure I don't hit a parking bumper. This NAVTV system allows this feature.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now it feels better as folks will not say "what ? A mercedes and you don't have a rearview camera?"
LOL my dad still chirps me for that. Hes like "why is there no rearview camera on this $50k benz when a base mazda 3 has it???". He left me speechless...

Post some pics of the system and with the rear view camera activated. Want to see the interface.

You have it installed on the command system right?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Mav, did they drill the plastic trunk handle for the install? Or did the kit have a new trunk handle w/ the camera?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mav, did they drill the plastic trunk handle for the install? Or did the kit have a new trunk handle w/ the camera?
No, they drilled a hole into the plastic trunk handle , but no hole through any metal. They ran the wiring through under the plastic panels in the trunk.

To get a new trunk handle / camera from the MB, will probably cost me another $600.00. There is no aftermarket handle with camera available at this point, except from MB.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
20160201_125411.jpg

Yes the interface is linked through the COMMAND system.

Sorry, don't know why the picture is uploaded with it rotated counter-clockwise

1 - 20 of 72 Posts