Mercedes CLA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
David, please let us know about your system, the install, costs, picture quality, resolution, etc. I am still interested in finding a good high quality system that works. I also feel a good system is a good investment for our cars. Thank you.
Hey , why don't you give NAVTV a try? Its a US based company, and it is not NAVI-TECH. Its been more than a week, and I am happy with the performance and reliability thus far. But I would definitely pay for a pro installer to put it in. Instructions are provided on connections, and it just depends on the quality work of the installer. Go for it... you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
How much is that kit?
I believe it is USD399.00 for just the interface. Then its up to you to locate the installer who is savvy with installing these systems , as there will be popping of dash panels and also some work in the trunk area (no drilling of holes into the metal chassis required). You can get the camera as well from NAVTV, but you can probably get it cheaper from the installer.

The reason I looked at NAVTV was their compatibility with the MB COMMAND system , and the current OS on it (mine is NTG 5.1).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Mine is also 5.1. It seems like the NavTV is a good system based upon your recommendation. It will still be necessary to find a good HD camera and one that does not require drilling of the body. Thank you.

and yes, concur, re find a good professional installer. I had a good installer as he has been installing cameras, stereos, remote start kits, etc, for over 30 years. He did a very clean job of installing the Navi Tech system, at least 4-5 times.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
David, when I contacted Emerald they stated you no longer drill the plastic handle but rather now have to drill the trunk panel (metal) That was about 5 months ago. I was going to buy the Emerald until they told me I had to drill metal and they said they no longer have a camera for the trunk mount. When did you buy your unit?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
David, according to the photos you showed you have the Emerald system if I am not mistaken. Emerald is supposed to be very good, OEM quality.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I believe that is a hybrid system, a Navi Tech camera/trunk handle and an interface from Taiwan. Hopefully that would work. IMO, Navi Tech can't make an interface that works, or at least, again, IMO, not for my car, or others on this site. Hopefully the Taiwan company could teach them how to make an interface that works. But then, again, IMO, someone would have to teach them customer service, and again, IMO, honesty, integrity, etc, IMO, again based on my experience with them, IMO.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a 2014 w/Premium Package -NO Multimedia/Command- just Audio20 w/5.8". I have been looking at this system : Mercedes BENZ Rear Camera Module with PAS+PDC function

for CLA-CLASS (W117) NTG4.5 with 7" Command or 5.8" audio20 audio50 system. I am curious if anyone here has looked at this one or had actual experience with it.

Mercedes Pas PDC Handle Rear View Camera CLA Class W117 AUDIO20 NTG4 5 NTG5 | eBay

·
Registered
1,774 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If so, i wouldn't buy a kit..
What month was your MY14? When I bought my MY 15 my sales man told me that all 2015 cars do not come with backup camera while 2014's did. I didn't know that not all 2014s came with the camera

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Rick, what is the quality of the camera? Is it HD, 480, 720? I have also looked at this company and have been corresponding with them by email. Is that a motorized camera? I believe this is a Chinese company.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts