Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a sale on H&R sport springs here in Vancouver, got them for $320 (tax and shipping included). H&R Part no. is 28881-4.

I have the Bilstein B8 plus installed, but not happy with how the factory springs is matching with it. So took the dive , ordered the springs and will be getting it installed next Friday.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
-25mm or so??

check for aluminum front skid plates too ...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting my H&R springs finally today , FEDEX delivery in the evening. Will get it installed this saturday. Will update after installation.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
hope you have a 5ft ruler floating around to get a proper height check :cool:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My H&R springs are now installed on my CLA by my local shop.

Observations:
1. car drop was fine, there is still 1 finger gap on my front wheel axle, and 1.5 finger gap on the rear axle.
2. Ride is firmer than factory sports springs but definitely not harsh. Especially the H&R springs are now combined with the Bilstein B8 Plus shock absorbers. On the regular city roads, with the typical irregularities, it is surprising "smooth" riding.
3. no tire rubbing observed when cornering hard. much flatter cornering stance.

I was apprehensive when my car went into the shop for the installation, but I have to say I am glad to have done it. Much happier with the ride and handling now. I totally recommend the H&R springs.
In retrospect, When I recently installed Bilstein B8 Plus and paired them to the factory springs, the ride and handling seems compromised, there seems to be quite a bit of vertical travel going over bumps (Albeit, the Bilsteins did effectively dampen the motion well).

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Glad it worked out!
The b8s are probably designed for the shorter suspension travel ...

So any new front scrapes yet?

Those damn porcupines and possums i swear ...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad it worked out!
The b8s are probably designed for the shorter suspension travel ...

So any new front scrapes yet?

Those damn porcupines and possums i swear ...
No , the front lip height dropped maybe 10mm, not an issue with scrapes over speed bumps , as long as I don’t race over the speed bump.
I took a long drive today and I really like the tight handling and stiffer ride.
But I think you have to pair it with compatible sports shocks that accommodate lowering springs. The Bilsteins B8 seem to work well with the H&R sport Springs.
The dropped stance looks really nice.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regular road speed bumps are fine, and even slight inclines in garages is not a big deal. No scraping of the front lip.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Hey ... post a lower half shot ... just above wheel arch height

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Not bad!
Looks like the new spring rates gave you 15~17mm final drop which is just right

If a good coilover shows up with a 5~30 range i might give it some thought

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another side shot of the lowered CLA. It’s really not bad at all. I’m liking the look a lot , the ride is firm, sometimes a little “bouncy”, but dampened , maybe the combined stiffness of both springs and shock , makes it a little busy.
I once went a little fast over a traffic light crossing hump, and came down a little hard, the impact was surprising not harsh, and well dampened. I could feel the compression of the suspension and it came up once to it’s zero level and no more bounce.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
But the overall ride comfort and firmness is affected quite a bit by the tire pressure, from my observation.

I ran a couple of different tire pressures:

38 Psi Front/33 Psi rear - feels a little "sloppy" when going over irregularities on the road at speeds < 40mph. feels more "bouncy" as well.

40 Psi Front/36 Psi Rear - feels less "sloppy" and an optimal trade off between firm feel and comfort. < currently using this.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Did you get the AS3 or similar?
Sidewall flex on different tires shows up for constant pressure comparisons (remember the 20psi runs on the rft’s to get rid of the roller coaster ride? )
Since you firmed up the suspension (else it would be terminating often) the tires will naturally take up more of the “work” and wear a tad sooner
Though glad you can pick up the pressure effects ... shows the suspension work function is now indeed different
But 40 cold is like +11% up front ... geee

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you get the AS3 or similar?
Sidewall flex on different tires shows up for constant pressure comparisons (remember the 20psi runs on the rft’s to get rid of the roller coaster ride? )
Since you firmed up the suspension (else it would be terminating often) the tires will naturally take up more of the “work” and wear a tad sooner
Though glad you can pick up the pressure effects ... shows the suspension work function is now indeed different
But 40 cold is like +11% up front ... geee
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on my CLA. This tire seems more compliant than the AS 3+ it replaced.
Hence 40 Psi Front feels like 38 Psi on the Pirelli Cinturato RFT that was previously factory fitted to my CLA.

Also, interestingly, after the spring installation, it seems to have slightly more negative camber than with the factory setting. not drastic (like some ghetto dropped cars), but noticeable.

Also reading the articles on lowering springs, it does take driving the car for several hundred miles for the springs to settle into the equilibrated dropped height.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Yeah unless you have camber plates it will go negative since the motion geometry is still fixed
Some kits have those plates or adjustable links
Surprised the AS4 are softies
My Contis are much less jarring than the Bridgestone rfts yet the sidewalls are pretty tough despite being only 21.5lb for the 235/40

1 - 18 of 18 Posts