Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
First drive: Mercedes CLA 45 AMG - BBC Top Gear

This review didnt sound great. they gave the car 6 stars out of 10.
They make it sound just ok. I was hopeing for amazing. the 0-60 times and the quarter mile sound great but they trash the rest of the ride.
They trash the sound of the car which is really disappointing. i hope the upgraded exhaust will sound better

·
Registered
896 Posts
the patagonia is growing on me...

still have white pre-ordered tho...

white - silver - red is what im down to now!

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are sound clips online with the upgraded exhaust. The sound is really nice, kinda like a WRX with the low pitch rumble.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You have to keep in mind that these first drives are on the Euro spec 45, which ironically is less hardcore with it's subdued suspension. Wait until C&D, MT, etc. do their extensive testing to find out if this car is going to be epic or not. If it runs 12.6 in the 1/4, then I'm all in!

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
"epic"...that term is so overused today. In deference to my friends in and around the Boston area I prefer "wicked awesome." :wink:

In all seriousness though, it's hard to imagine that it won't be a great little car. 0-60 in 4.6 sec is pretty impressive. From my perspective, anything quicker is gravy. In my opinion, what will make or break this car from a performance perspective is its AWD system and suspension set-up. If it drives like a FWD car with a weak AWD system, enthusiasts will serve it demerits like a 24hr roadside diner (e.g., MINI's All4 system -- it sucks the proverbial butt). Also, if it isolates the driver from the road it will be relegated an 'also-ran' in deference to cars like the M135 ("it's a lot of fun, but not as proficient or communicative as an M135..."). AMG cars have a reputation for brutal acceleration and good handling...but handling that doesn't quite match its Bavarian competition.

And, it cannot avoid suffering (to some of us) from not having a manual transmission option. I, for one, would happily pony up for it even if it wasn't offered as a $0 option. And, yes, I would know that I was making it slower by virtue of ticking that box on the order form.

Regardless, assuming we can give any credence to its paper specs I think it will be hard to argue against the car's own merits. But, as you pointed out, time will tell. :) I can't wait to start seeing articles on the CLA itself.

-Eric

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"epic"...that term is so overused today. In deference to my friends in and around the Boston area I prefer "wicked awesome." :wink:

In all seriousness though, it's hard to imagine that it won't be a great little car. 0-60 in 4.6 sec is pretty impressive. From my perspective, anything quicker is gravy. In my opinion, what will make or break this car from a performance perspective is its AWD system and suspension set-up. If it drives like a FWD car with a weak AWD system, enthusiasts will serve it demerits like a 24hr roadside diner (e.g., MINI's All4 system -- it sucks the proverbial butt). Also, if it isolates the driver from the road it will be relegated an 'also-ran' in deference to cars like the M135 ("it's a lot of fun, but not as proficient or communicative as an M135..."). AMG cars have a reputation for brutal acceleration and good handling...but handling that doesn't quite match its Bavarian competition.

And, it cannot avoid suffering (to some of us) from not having a manual transmission option. I, for one, would happily pony up for it even if it wasn't offered as a $0 option. And, yes, I would know that I was making it slower by virtue of ticking that box on the order form.

Regardless, assuming we can give any credence to its paper specs I think it will be hard to argue against the car's own merits. But, as you pointed out, time will tell. :) I can't wait to start seeing articles on the CLA itself.

-Eric
A couple of those reviews are for the CLA

·
Registered
14 Posts
kinda gutted with the reviews, the lack of noise from the exhaust is really putting me off the car...however would like to see one when it hits the uk with the quad exhaust

1 - 11 of 11 Posts