Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
You have to keep in mind that these first drives are on the Euro spec 45, which ironically is less hardcore with it's subdued suspension. Wait until C&D, MT, etc. do their extensive testing to find out if this car is going to be epic or not. If it runs 12.6 in the 1/4, then I'm all in!

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
"epic"...that term is so overused today. In deference to my friends in and around the Boston area I prefer "wicked awesome." :wink:

In all seriousness though, it's hard to imagine that it won't be a great little car. 0-60 in 4.6 sec is pretty impressive. From my perspective, anything quicker is gravy. In my opinion, what will make or break this car from a performance perspective is its AWD system and suspension set-up. If it drives like a FWD car with a weak AWD system, enthusiasts will serve it demerits like a 24hr roadside diner (e.g., MINI's All4 system -- it sucks the proverbial butt). Also, if it isolates the driver from the road it will be relegated an 'also-ran' in deference to cars like the M135 ("it's a lot of fun, but not as proficient or communicative as an M135..."). AMG cars have a reputation for brutal acceleration and good handling...but handling that doesn't quite match its Bavarian competition.

And, it cannot avoid suffering (to some of us) from not having a manual transmission option. I, for one, would happily pony up for it even if it wasn't offered as a $0 option. And, yes, I would know that I was making it slower by virtue of ticking that box on the order form.

Regardless, assuming we can give any credence to its paper specs I think it will be hard to argue against the car's own merits. But, as you pointed out, time will tell. :) I can't wait to start seeing articles on the CLA itself.

-Eric

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"epic"...that term is so overused today. In deference to my friends in and around the Boston area I prefer "wicked awesome." :wink:

In all seriousness though, it's hard to imagine that it won't be a great little car. 0-60 in 4.6 sec is pretty impressive. From my perspective, anything quicker is gravy. In my opinion, what will make or break this car from a performance perspective is its AWD system and suspension set-up. If it drives like a FWD car with a weak AWD system, enthusiasts will serve it demerits like a 24hr roadside diner (e.g., MINI's All4 system -- it sucks the proverbial butt). Also, if it isolates the driver from the road it will be relegated an 'also-ran' in deference to cars like the M135 ("it's a lot of fun, but not as proficient or communicative as an M135..."). AMG cars have a reputation for brutal acceleration and good handling...but handling that doesn't quite match its Bavarian competition.

And, it cannot avoid suffering (to some of us) from not having a manual transmission option. I, for one, would happily pony up for it even if it wasn't offered as a $0 option. And, yes, I would know that I was making it slower by virtue of ticking that box on the order form.

Regardless, assuming we can give any credence to its paper specs I think it will be hard to argue against the car's own merits. But, as you pointed out, time will tell. :) I can't wait to start seeing articles on the CLA itself.

-Eric
A couple of those reviews are for the CLA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.