Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just came back from a 2 week vacation and started up my CLA and got a yellow error warning "Top Up Coolant, see owners manual" , and the engine fan goes on full and also my parktronic sensors not working properly.

Not sure whats wrong, maybe a software update or so... will see on monday when Benz is back as there was no technicians working over the weekend. :crying:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Just came back from a 2 week vacation and started up my CLA and got a yellow error warning "Top Up Cooland, see owners manual" , and the engine fan goes on full and also my parktronic sensors not working properly.

Not sure whats wrong, maybe a software update or so... will see on monday when Benz is back as there was no technicians working over the weekend. :crying:
I hope this is not the old "Never buy First Year German Cars" happening all over again. Please keep us posted on the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First it started with the front one on the right side... It was "detecting" something even when there wasnt anything around at all. Usually it was shouting after I started the engine or when I stopped at traffic lights. After two days the same problems started with the left one. It was almost constant warning during driving so I needed to switch it off otherwise it would make me go crazy. I have these problems since the very first day. They checked my car and said some of the sensors needs to be replaced :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Which problems? Beacuse also mine sometimes don't work properly...
If you ask me, the noise of the parksensors is not very loud at all.
Especially when you have the radio loud.Also the warning beep is active just for a short while.It doesn't keep on warning you when you're still in a "hazard" zone.
At least that's with my car.

Greets!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also the warning beep is active just for a short while.It doesn't keep on warning you when you're still in a "hazard" zone.
At least that's with my car.
Greets!
yes! it's so. I asked Mercedes-Benz if it's possible to change this parameter but they said no :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am taking delivery of CLA 200 in September or October.

For all those members who have been driving the CLA for a few months already, what other problems have you come across?

I would be grateful to know what are the problems so that I am we'll prepared when using the car. Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey all.

I have the 220CDI Automatic AMG.
Driving this baby for about 3 months now and these are the "first problems"
I've encountered:

•Clacking noise coming from left front
train when reversing in a direction and
driving away in the other direction.
Dealer checked everything for tightness
--> no problems
Noise still there,so did a few
"emergency stops" --> noise gone
Most probably left brake pads had to
settle themselves a bit more.

•Paint on front brake calipers gone after
the first real wash. (with wheel cleaner)
Cleaner that I've been using for years
now. --> I can understand this happens
after a year or so,but not from the first
wash?! So I repainted everything
myself,looks better than from factory. ;)

•If you take off the engine cover,check
for chafing on the ecu wire loom.
Mine was already punctured through
the protective sleeve due to chafing!
After about 4 weeks driving the car..
-->slightly rerouted wire loom with a few
extra straps,problem solved!
Also the compressor (turbo) vacuum
lines could be routed better to prevent
early puncturing due to chafing,but this
is a cheap repair compared to the ecu
wire loom.

I'm a technician by trade so any other person is most likely not checking this stuff...but it shows that build quality can be better.I've always been a BMW driver and you don't have this with their cars of the same price range.
But then again,I have one of the first CLA's here in Belgium so build quality could have improved already.

BUT nevertheless I am VERY happy with my first Mercedes.
Drives like a dream!Very low consumption in ECO drive!
And everyone is looking at the car as if it comes from another planet.

Greets!

·
Registered
294 Posts
The wire and vacuum hose chafing issues could become a serious issue if widespread among all cars with this engine. Now that the CLA's are in standard production, this may be a new problem that did not exist in pre-production phase when they were built very carefully with many more inspection points. MB corporate engineering needs to be aware to check for either a design problem or a factory installation problem. Please report your findings to your dealership service personnel ASAP.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The wire and vacuum hose chafing issues could become a serious issue if widespread among all cars with this engine. Now that the CLA's are in standard production, this may be a new problem that did not exist in pre-production phase when they were built very carefully with many more inspection points. MB corporate engineering needs to be aware to check for either a design problem or a factory installation problem. Please report your findings to your dealership service personnel ASAP.
We used to half joke about German car manufacturers using the owners to shake out their design flaws part due to their relatively low production volume - hence the NEVER purchase a new first year model or first year production used car policy from us long time German car owners which included a few Mercedes sales representatives.
I figured with computer simulation and much much higher production, they have had this issue covered. But may be not. Here we see so many forum members ( myself inclusive ) dying to get the very first CLA class perhaps not knowing we may be the test subjects buying potential problems ridden first year, completely new cars built in a completely new manufacturing facility. I am just remembering how horrible the first ML320s were in the 90's built in the new ? Alabama plant. It took years for that car to get off the Consumer Report's black-list and I am hoping the CLA will not be joining that list...

·
Registered
288 Posts
We used to half joke about German car manufacturers using the owners to shake out their design flaws part due to their relatively low production volume - hence the NEVER purchase a new first year model or first year production used car policy from us long time German car owners which included a few Mercedes sales representatives.
I figured with computer simulation and much much higher production, they have had this issue covered. But may be not. Here we see so many forum members ( myself inclusive ) dying to get the very first CLA class perhaps not knowing we may be the test subjects buying potential problems ridden first year, completely new cars built in a completely new manufacturing facility. I am just remembering how horrible the first ML320s were in the 90's built in the new ? Alabama plant. It took years for that car to get off the Consumer Report's black-list and I am hoping the CLA will not be joining that list...
The Gyor, Hungary plant isnt new..they have been making the A class for a while now. Its a bit surprising to see these kinds of problems crop up....hmmn. It might be better to wait a year and see how things shake out...

·
Registered
495 Posts
•Paint on front brake calipers gone after the first real wash. (with wheel cleaner) Cleaner that I've been using for years now. --> I can understand this happens after a year or so,but not from the first wash?! So I repainted everything myself,looks better than from factory.

Pitou, are you talking about the painted calipers that are apart of the Sports Package?

This would be horrific if this really happens after the first wash. If it does I'll be using my warranty!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The Gyor, Hungary plant isnt new..they have been making the A class for a while now. Its a bit surprising to see these kinds of problems crop up....hmmn. It might be better to wait a year and see how things shake out...
First year production is 2012 at the Hungarian factory. So the 2014 CLA will be their third model year and a new model.

·
Registered
26 Posts
•Paint on front brake calipers gone after the first real wash. (with wheel cleaner) Cleaner that I've been using for years now. --> I can understand this happens after a year or so,but not from the first wash?! So I repainted everything myself,looks better than from factory.

Pitou, are you talking about the painted calipers that are apart of the Sports Package?

This would be horrific if this really happens after the first wash. If it does I'll be using my warranty!
I'm talking about the grey painted brake calipers but on the 450 they're red,no?
And much bigger!
The dealer says it's a Mercedes disease for years now...also the wheel bolts are prone to corrosion very early he says.
Mercedes knows about it apparently but doesn't really take action. Its just part of a dusty brake,no? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
"If you take off the engine cover,check for chafing on the ecu wire loom. Mine was already punctured through the protective sleeve due to chafing! After about 4 weeks driving the car.. slightly rerouted wire loom with a few extra straps,problem solved! Also the compressor (turbo) vacuum lines could be routed better to prevent early puncturing due to chafing,but this is a cheap repair compared to the ecu wire loom."

Pitou, I am an ordinary folk. What will happen to my car if I don't know about the above?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pitou, I am an ordinary folk. What will happen to my car if I don't know about the above?
Pchankm7, if you have the 220CDI engine then the next time you are at your MB dealer, ask them to check for the wire and vacuum hose chafing as described by Pitou. Wire chafing is likely to cause intermittent electrical malfunctions and possibly cause the engine to stop running. Vacuum hose chafing will cause the engine to run rough. This doesn't sound like an extreme emergency where you need to take the car in today, but make it reasonably soon. If you do not have the 220CDI engine then I don't think you have any reason for concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks buddy. So if I have the petrol engine, these problems shouldn't arise? Am I correct to say petrol and Diesel engines have their own design?

Shouldn't the petrol engine has the same wiring at the same location?

I used to have a B200 which had stalling problems which even the MB dealer here could not identified and rectified even being grounded a few times at their workshop. I had to trade in as it was giving me nightmare. Thus I worry for my new CLA 200 (petrol, 1597 cc)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts