Mercedes CLA Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
587 Posts
@DrOzCLA
You know those fancy expensive animal hair brushes reserved for the boss’ (woman’s) suede shoes?
Steal it and use a very light dab of nonsolvent rubber conditioner (like the german rubber protectant) and brush it in
A little elbow grease (and antiscreams earplugs) may give the results you want
Leaves a nonsling semimatte finish
Thank you JMC! Is there a particular brand of rubber conditioner that you use? If I get detained and questioned by she who must be obeyed, I will of course send her in your direction as my co-conspirator ;)

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Thank you JMC! Is there a particular brand of rubber conditioner that you use? If I get detained and questioned by she who must be obeyed, I will of course send her in your direction as my co-conspirator ;)
Hah! Don't kid about stuff like that ..... geee.
I was using Nextzett (a little puff tipped bottle for the window seals) but that is expensive for the task.
Gonna try more finance minister friendly products like RymaxRubberConditioner or Meguires#40 for the larger tire sidewall surfaces.
Though have to find stuff with minimal solvents ... still recall the old days of using black Kiwi shoe wax on those really tall 70-series tires!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Did you put the new tires on?
Like others have said, changing tire pressures helps quite a bit. Takes the edge off. I go with the pressures on the gas cap (which are lower) rather than the ones on the door jamb.

I have been using run flats (Pirelli P Zero Nero in the past and now Bridgestone Driveguards). I hate them and I am done with run flats. I just threw a donut in my trunk and have ordered conventional tires (Continental ContiProContact). Will be getting them installed in the next few days so I will report back and let you know if it helps improve the ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Like others have said, changing tire pressures helps quite a bit. Takes the edge off. I go with the pressures on the gas cap (which are lower) rather than the ones on the door jamb.

I have been using run flats (Pirelli P Zero Nero in the past and now Bridgestone Driveguards). I hate them and I am done with run flats. I just threw a donut in my trunk and have ordered conventional tires (Continental ContiProContact). Will be getting them installed in the next few days so I will report back and let you know if it helps improve the ride.
how did the new tires help the ride?

·
Registered
62 Posts
@%1; hey Travis. The conventional tires did help. It is still a firm ride but it’s not as harsh if that makes any sense. It’s not as harsh and unpleasant as before but it’s still firm as the sidewalls are still not very big (I kept the same size tires - 225 40 R18). I’m ok with it though because it helps to keep that “riding on rails” character to the CLA which is, after all, a 4 door “coupe”. The change will not make your CLA into an S Class. If you want that you are better off trading it in. I’m keeping mine because I love the dynamic character of the car. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 CLA 250 4matic
63 Posts
I’m in PA like the OP so I know exactly what he means. A lot of the roads in my township are still brick lol.
Well, anyhow I’ve bent 2 wheels driving on the roads here, and the original owner has also bent a wheel so that’s 3 so far in this vehicles lifetime. My CLA has always been equipped with the continental run-flats and quite frankly I’m sick of these flintstone wheels. I’m taking them off Thursday. I’m going with the Continental PureContact LS. I have a feeling I’ll be very happy with the upgrade.

·
Registered
2015 CLA 250 4matic
63 Posts
Hey @MountainGrayCLA!
Good to see you still rolling here
Hey brother, still here lol. I tend to lurk often as most discussions in the archives still hold resourceful info when I’m curious of something.

Anyhow, I got the new tires put on and bent wheels replaced…
as far as the wheels, the one that was bent, you could barely tell by visual inspection. The wife said she could see it but I couldn’t. The 2nd bent wheel, right in the center of the rim it had a round baseball sized dent in the center. Going to be more careful here on out.

Now onto the tires…Continental PureContact LS are what I equipped, and it’s night and day as far as ride quality. I took the car out a few times so far, and it’s so much more quiet, your unavoidable road obstacles such as riding over sewer lids etc, I no longer feel the cringe every time I’d run over one. I wish Mercedes would just equip these cars by default with high end non-run flats.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
totally concur bro ... when i went from the flintstone rft to conti ecs it was almost like a different car
stickier too less spin at launch more fun ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
MountainGray
I recently installed those Conti Pure Contact LS on my 2014 CLA, you are exactly right, night and day ride! It's like a new car. So happy with the ride, best of luck with yours, smart choice

21 - 33 of 33 Posts