Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have eluded to this on other threads but the newly published R & D first drive on the CLA45 I read yesterday brought up the same question.
A heavily optioned CLA45 easily exceeds $60000. A base C63 is around $61000 and a C63 Coupe is $62000 with Premium 1 + panoramic roof standard.
The article gave a helf-hearted endorsement on the CLA45 agreeing it is almost as fast as the C63 but clearly leaning towards the big V8 even given the $12000
difference in base price. It would be an easy choice for R & D if the two cars are around the same price.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I read that article and the question keeps bringing me someplace mentally that I don't want to go!

The C63 is just a lot more car than the CLA45 even if the performance is so close. It just is. The materials are better. It comes with more standard stuff. Blah, blah, blah. It also costs $61K vs. $49K for the CLA45. That's a lot more money...to me, at least.

But, hold on...it's not really $12K more because we're comparing a car (the C63) that is built on a platform nearing its end of life that MB is now discounting and comparing it to a white hot new model (the CLA45) that is selling at MSRP. So, really the question isn't about the $12K difference in base price. It becomes a question of whether you get a C63 for $60K with the same (or similar equipment) as you would get in a CLA45 for $55-60K. At the end of the day, a no frills C63 at $61K is still more car than a no frills CLA45 at $49K....but does that C63 really cost $61K? :) Edmunds places the "True Market Value" of a C63 without any options at $56K. Maybe I need to stick my head back in the sand. :D

I think the answer comes down to what we (individually) want from a car.

- Do you really even want a C63? It's the same question I asked of the member comparing a new CLA to a used CLS or another member who was considering a heavily discounted E Class. How great of a deal is it if you don't really want the alternative in the first place? Just because it's technically a better deal doesn't make it the right car for you. If the alternative option excites you just as much as the CLA then it makes sense to consider.

If you find the idea of a C63 intriguing but aren't convinced then I'd ask....

- How important is a V8? I know you know this but a 4 banger will never be a V6 or a V8 (aurally or otherwise). I'm not saying it's less than a V8. It's just different.
- How important is AWD? For me, it's the reason that I won't consider the M3 or C63. As much as the pricing bothers me the C63's lack of AWD is a deal killer.
- How important are nicer materials? A car based on an economy platform will not be the same as a car based on a near-luxury platform. You can plop down $40K on a Subaru Impreza STI Special Edition and get a car that will do 0-60 in 4.7 sec (with the potential for MUCH more in the hands of the right tuner)...but it's still based on an $18K Impreza. The $22K extra doesn't get you a nicer dashboard with better materials. It buys you wicked performance and a bulletproof engine that likes to make gobs of power that it puts down with alacrity to all four wheels. As well as it performs, it will never feel like a $40K BMW, Audi or Mercedes.
- How important is it to be the first guy on the block with a CLA45? Next year, the car will be a year old, a year more common and perhaps seeing some discounts. There will also be a new C-Class and probably a new, more expensive, AMG version to further differentiate itself from the CLA price-wise and performance-wise. So, the C63 successor will be more expensive, probably faster, less of a "deal" than it is today.
- Do you want the last model year of a C63 and the depreciation hit that sometimes goes with it? You pay less up front (the market giveth) and then you buy a car worth that much less (and it taketh away). Good times.

Try taking the financials out of the equation and ask yourself which car you truly WANT more. Now ask yourself why it really matters that you can buy another car (one you don't want as much) for a similar price? Get the car you want. I know it's not really that simple...but...why not?

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never liked the C63 because it was a beast of a car and quite scary to drive, especially with moisture on the road. There is no turning off of the power.
The M3 comes with the power turned off ( much reduced throttle response ) and only becomes a beast when you hit the "M" button.
I seriously considered the C63 Coupe. It is a much prettier car with upgraded handling and equally fast but more civilized (new 2012) compared to the 4 door.
The 13 mpg - 19 mpg is the turnoff although as they say 'if you worry about the gas mileage, you can't afford the car.'

So funny you mentioned the STi. I was at a Subaru dealership yesterday after work to test out one. What a blast ! The big wing is not my cup of tea and the ride will
shake loose a few kidney stones. Nicely appointed at $35000. BUT there is a $5000 "market mark-up" and the dealership will negotiate the sale price from there :(

·
Registered
342 Posts
It would depend on when really we are likely to get our cars and pricing at that time.

If you asked me when I plopped my deposit down, I was pretty enamored with the CLA 45 AMG and wouldn't have taken any other car. But now as more reality is settling in, yes I think I would think long and hard about the C63 or even the S4 or new BMW 4 series given the price points we're expecting now and if I'm still going to be paying full MRSP if the delivery will be in 1Q 2014.

Performance is nice but not that super important for me that I wouldn't look at higher models with less performance just because city traffic really sucks around here. Very few opportunities unless you track and I don't. I'm probably going to go on much more test drives and compare them to the CLA test drive when available.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
So, then it doesn't really matter whether it's a better deal...the C63 that is. The comparison I keep drawing is against an S4 since the C63 doesn't have AWD.

As for the STI, that's the first I've heard of such a mark-up. It's outrageous. I haven't driven the current generation car but I did drive the previous version which was also a brutal beast. I took it out for a drive on a slushy Winter day. The salesman dropped the keys in my hand, smiled and said, "have fun!" Oh, and I did.

-Eric

·
Registered
312 Posts
The C63 will go 0-100 in about 8.5 seconds (w/o perfromance package) and run the quarter in slighltly over 12 seconds.

MB is quoting the C45 to get to 100 in 10 seconds. The magazines are predicting the quarter in slighlty over 13 seconds.

That's what 98 more hp and $12,000 gets you. The C63 is an M3 killer and if it weren't for the fact it's RWD only, (we get nor'easters in these parts), I'd take out a second mortgage.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I think you get a little more than that. Besides, it's not really a $12k price difference as I noted above. You can get a decent discount on a C63 today. Regardless, the C63's materials are a higher quality. You also get more standard features (e.g, a sunroof). There's a price difference between a C250 and a CLA250 for a reason despite the engines being the same. The C nets more quality, more stuff...and it should...it's part of the reason you pay more.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The C63 will go 0-100 in about 8.5 seconds (w/o perfromance package) and run the quarter in slighltly over 12 seconds.

MB is quoting the C45 to get to 100 in 10 seconds. The magazines are predicting the quarter in slighlty over 13 seconds.

That's what 98 more hp and $12,000 gets you. The C63 is an M3 killer and if it weren't for the fact it's RWD only, (we get nor'easters in these parts), I'd take out a second mortgage.
The C63 is an insane automobile. It is like riding a beast with so much power you are not sure if you can control and even less sure when it is going to turn and take a bite at you.
The rear end slid all over the place even with traction on when the road was wet and power on. It caught me by surprise more than once but boy was it fun ! I don't drive like that anymore
but I can see why so many people like it. 'Top Gear' called the car an AXE MURDERER for a reason. You should see the comp with an M3. They were trying to roll over an apple placed at the
apex of a turn at high speed. The M3 nailed it time after time and the same driver could not do it with the C63 as it simply didn't have the same fine steering control at traction limit.
I would take a C63 coupe in a heart beat if I don't already have a M3 and a C250 Coupe. The CLA45 will offer a different experience with FWD-AWD and at $52-53k, I can at least say it is cheaper
than the C63 which can easily get over $80k when heavily optioned. As for discount, none on the C63 Coupe. They are already sold out for 2013. Our dealer is offering a pre-owned 2012 63 Coupe for $1000 more than the car was sold for originally...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts