Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me state upfront that this isn't as OT as it may at first seem...

Quick background...my daily driver is an Acura TSX coming off lease March 2014. I've been very happy with the car, but want something different, preferably a bit sportier. At the same time, I have an '06 Porsche Boxster S which I love but I never get to drive. I've put 5000 miles on the Porsche in the 5+ years I've owned it, and a few hundred of that at most has been in the past two years since my son was born. A two-seater just doesn't work with the baby seat.

I'm at a point where as much as I don't want to, I think I need to get rid of the Boxster. Then when it's time to replace the Acura, I'd like to get something a bit more satisfying as a daily driver. And that's where the convertible factor comes into play. Essentially at this point I'm considering a 'standard' CLA, a CLA45 AMG, and a BMW 4-series convertible. An M-sport 428 sedan will end up being around the same cost as the CLA45 AMG; I like the AMG better which is why I'm ruling out a 4-series sedan entirely.

Anyway (thanks for reading this far) the major thing that keeps bringing me back to the BMW is the convertible. I really enjoy having the top-down with the Porsche, but my perspective is skewed. I only take the Boxster out on nice days when I'd want the top down in the first place, so I can't figure out how much I'd actually put the top down if my daily driver was a convertible. And that's basically the point of my thread. If you own or have owned a convertible as a daily driver, how often did you actually put the top down? Does the novelty wear off? Did you put the top down as much as you anticipated when buying the car? Etc...

Any and all thoughts are welcome. And if you feel this is a stupid post then chalk it up to there not being a heck of a lot of actual news about the CLA to discuss. :)

Endaar

·
Registered
339 Posts
Will the BMW 4 cabriolet have a soft top or a hardtop?

Either way, if the car is garaged at night, I think having a convertible as a daily driver is perfectly OK. The Landmark fabric that M-B, BMW, smart and others use in their convertibles lasts basically forever. I had two smart cabriolets and the one that was written off in a rear-ender last year had 8 years, 155,000 miles and the soft top was absolutely perfect.

Driving my smart BRABUS cabriolet, the top is down on every nice day, make that about 60% of the time I drive it.

If I were you I would go for the convertible.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm new to the convertible game w/ my somewhat recent acquisition of a late-model MR2-Spyder. It's a lot of fun along w/ a lot of impracticality (2-seater, minimal trunk/storage space, less comfort/refinement, involved roof open/close procedure).

I say go for a pre-owned late-model 997 911 Carrera Cabriolet (or even Targa). It'll be a 2+2, reasonable storage, great performance/handling, reasonable comfort/features, and it won't depreciate as much compared to a brand-new, more common convertible.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmmm, convertibles aren't really interesting to me. I love motorcycles. If the weather is very nice and it's just me who has to get somewhere I'd sooner take my Ducati than any convertible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had a bunch of convertibles over time, and what I've come to realize is that there are just very few PERFECT days in the year. Wind, too much sun, etc. I also felt like I was much more picky about what music I had on, weird as it may sound. Say for example, you love old-school gangster rap, but being a 30 something year old white guy, it's not always a good idea to be blasting it at full volume.

What I found is that I use a nice, big sunroof WAY more. You can still pretty much have your temperature. Heck, you can use it in the snow. More importantly, I just feel that little bit more isolated.

There's nothing quite like a convertible on that perfect day. That's why people buy boats. They have that one perfect day and they have to have more. You don't figure out how rare those days are until you get one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My top is down about half the year.....and I live in Canada!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts