Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good read, thank you for that. So it seems that that engine is pretty much tapped out. Which is fine for me but looks like they had to go to great lengths to make it perform the way it does.

·
Registered
896 Posts
mmm . . thats not the way i read it . . hope im right lol!

nothing a big turbo couldn't ever solve . . ppl run 50k miles on their stage 3+ a4 2.0t's all day . . im sure this engine could handle 400hp safely as a daily driver and make it that much better!

the aftermarket cost per hp is going to be very high on this car . . im expecting we wont hit 400 hp unless 5-7500 is spent!\

---

i prob wont be doing crazy modding to this car anyway tho . .

·
Registered
155 Posts
mmm . . thats not the way i read it . . hope im right lol!

nothing a big turbo couldn't ever solve . . ppl run 50k miles on their stage 3+ a4 2.0t's all day . . im sure this engine could handle 400hp safely as a daily driver and make it that much better!

the aftermarket cost per hp is going to be very high on this car . . im expecting we wont hit 400 hp unless 5-7500 is spent!\

i prob wont be doing crazy modding to this car anyway tho . .
Modding a Mercedes is always expensive. Mostly because not much people do it........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Somewhat related, I watched this video of a tuned E63 the other day.
One of the key things about this tune is ~300HP for $16,000.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Mercedes has to ensure the motor lasts like all other engines. Nothing kills a product line faster than early engine failure.
The CLA45 is plenty quick but it runs out of steam at the higher speed as Car & Driver only managed 13.3 at quarter mile.
For a 4.4 second 0-60 car, that quarter time should be in the mid to high 12's. To me, the car is slowing down at 100 + mph.
Somewhere, some one will push that number down. MB won't also because it will then threaten the more expensive AMGs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mercedes has to ensure the motor lasts like all other engines. Nothing kills a product line faster than early engine failure.
The CLA45 is plenty quick but it runs out of steam at the higher speed as Car & Driver only managed 13.3 at quarter mile.
For a 4.4 second 0-60 car, that quarter time should be in the mid to high 12's. To me, the car is slowing down at 100 + mph.
Somewhere, some one will push that number down. MB won't also because it will then threaten the more expensive AMGs.
Its surprising considering the cat had such a low drag coefficient.

·
Registered
896 Posts
where did car and driver only run a 13.3 ? I didn't see Any numbers posted by them in regards to the cla45

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts