Mercedes CLA Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
Interesting ... I NEVER close car doors with handles, door edge, etc. All those cause metal flex at the handle, paint wear at the door edge, etc.
I use the lower edge of the window frame right above the trim, or in our case the lower edge of the window, and use either the inner or outer palm to guide it shut. No prints on paint or glass ... finger oils are quite acidic and frustrating (eg museum rules).
I see finger drag marks on door edges near the handle on cars and most of the time the clear is compromised (by grit nails etc). Note they put protective sheets in and around the door handle area at factories just for that reason ... I do the same if a dealer visit is needed. I bought a roll of tack plastic which works nicely, and blue tape for the hard to cover areas like the finger cavity behind the handle (that area angers me the most its like keep your damn finger nails to yourself you disrespectful twit) ... eg proper valets wear soft cotton gloves.
And no never close the door with the top corner of the glass ... that moment arm will cause long term stress at the glass/guide joint (that little thing that is stuck to the hidden part of the glass for rail guiding) and then it will loosen and cause lots of issues.
I suppose one could use the karate chop edge of the hand on the edge of the chrome trim to close but cleaning glass is much less stressful and swirl generating than chrome or paint.
This is my reminder:
"Perfection may be easy to achieve but difficult to maintain"

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think there is any major damage that is going to come from pushing on the glass as opposed to pushing the door closed using the metal.

My CLA door closes quite easily in comparison to cars that are 30 years old and the latch no adjusted correctly.

I think the worst case scenario is that by repeatedly pushing the glass you are leveraging a movable part which may over time loosen the attachment points. This would likely take around 10 years plus.

The loosening of the attachment point is going to happen anyway and by leveraging the glass frequently it will expdite the wear.

Just take a look at any 90s model frameless door - there is more movement than off the showroom floor.

Are you going to keep your CLA for more than 10 years? If not it is a moot point

·
Premium Member
13,317 Posts
I don't think there is any major damage that is going to come from pushing on the glass as opposed to pushing the door closed using the metal.

My CLA door closes quite easily in comparison to cars that are 30 years old and the latch no adjusted correctly.

I think the worst case scenario is that by repeatedly pushing the glass you are leveraging a movable part which may over time loosen the attachment points. This would likely take around 10 years plus.

The loosening of the attachment point is going to happen anyway and by leveraging the glass frequently it will expdite the wear.

Just take a look at any 90s model frameless door - there is more movement than off the showroom floor.

Are you going to keep your CLA for more than 10 years? If not it is a moot point
Yup that's the moment arm thing I was referring too ... hence using the bottom of the glass right above the trim, as that part has a barrier to work against and is consistent during repeated use.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.