Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
It's been a while since I've been here, good to see the updated forum layout. My center dash speaker has been crackling sometimes (sounds like when the gain is turned up too high). I removed it and it looks fine from the top, but I can't really tell from the back of it.

Anyone have any options for fixing it? I could just replace it? Thanks in advance for any insight!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I ended up replacing mine via warranty. Nice to see you still around jedi45!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pa4ul! How long was your warranty? I'm, like you, an intro year owner; it's been running great besides the squeaks. Only 27000 miles on the dash (city, highway, autocross miles). I called the dealer and they wanted $146 for the speaker, and didn't know anything about this as a common issue. I saw one on Amazon for $60, I think I'm just going to get that one.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Yo Jedi!

Before you replace it ... drive it while its out and see if it buzzes

If so yeah swap it

Or upgrade it (if you can find the correct form factor)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yo Jedi!

Before you replace it ... drive it while its out and see if it buzzes

If so yeah swap it

Or upgrade it (if you can find the correct form factor)
What's up jmc! Yeah, it buzzed like a bee when I took it out of the dash before I unplugged it. Now that's unplugged, music and sound is back to crystal clear (less one center speaker). Crutchfield didn't have any suggestions it's such a small speaker. I'm going to have to order another one. It's a shame, never "had" to replace any of my speakers in my other cars.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I think I had mine replaced twice for that buzzing issue. Maybe go aftermarket for a little more... dare I say quality.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Pity ... one would figure hk (or their supplier) speakers would be above average
A member (Circa40) did some “replacement” trick by adapting his speaker of choice to fit the opening ... think it was slightly larger so just a little trimming etc

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Oh ... if you peel off the L7 sticker what oem info is printed on it?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

They got a little tricky on this one and it looks like it was just ink on the speaker (not engraved) under the L7 sticker. Can’t really make it out, but if you can let me know.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Appreciate it ...
should be fun deciphering it without the rosetta

1 - 11 of 11 Posts