Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I live in Virginia and the state requires a front license plate. I do not want to drill into the front bumper of my car (I bought it from a dealer in Maryland so it never had a front plate before, so no holes currently exist). I was thinking of either putting the plate on the dashboard, which could result in me getting a $100 fine and a fix-it ticket if I am to get pulled over for not having a front plate, or I could buy a tow hook mounting bracket and have the plate displayed off-center but still be mounted to the front of the car (the law does not specify that it has to be in the center of the front of the car, so I believe this option is legal). The only drawback with the tow hook mount is that I personally find it to be unattractive. Is there another option I haven't thought of? If not, what are your opinions on how I should go about this front plate dilemma? Car is a 2018 model.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
If we only had proper aspect ratio plates ?!
The euro fronts have plate holders molded right in so no excuse for no front plate
Suppose you could look at some of the “hidden” mount concepts ... the screw holes are in the ground facing surfaces (like right above the lower grille grid etc)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your suggestion! I didn't consider a hideaway plate bracket. Not sure if that would look better than the tow-hook mounted plate bracket because it would block almost the entire large lower air inlet. What really makes this tough is that there really aren't pictures of what the tow hook bracket looks like on the facelift models, it looks alright on the pre-facelift models so i'm going to assume it won't be too bad on mine. I guess for $25 I should just order the tow hook bracket and if I really do not like it I can find another solution.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My car originally had Euro plates, but when it arrived in the US, a California front plate mount was installed at the mysterious processing center before I received the car.

And I can assure you that my quality of life is undiminished.

The law in your state, one that is brutal about compliance, requires a front plate. You'll get used to it.

Especially considering that all the clunky workarounds look dopey anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I would probably get over it eventually. It just pains me to think of somebody drilling into a perfectly good car for a stupid license plate bracket...

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Yeah i hate those holes ruins an otherwise perfectly uniform profile surface
But then nonvisible screws may be the compliant option ... couple self taps and adjustable t bars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts