Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some seat back nets and just mangled my way through installation ... looks ok.
May post some pix if folks are curious?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
dont need them and probably wont install it but im still curious :) Do post some pics

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Always found it handy in my e46 if you had an important receipt or mail etc that you were concerned with blowing out with roof and windows down. Just reached behind pass seat and slid in.

My center console and glove box were always filled with other stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, JMC, I'm very interested! I, too, was disappointed in MB not providing any seat back pockets (especially considering they also deleted the center arm rest and cup holders in the rear) so recently ordered some black, Italian-made units from Amazon. Not great, but since the interior is a combination black/beige, I think they'll contrast nicely on the lighter colored seat backs. Don't really want to drill any holes, so plan on using 20lb. 3M double sided tape. Since they are made up of 2 separate pieces, I've been working on gluing them together first -- a little more than I bargained for, so would be very interested in what you found. Incidentally, I was also disappointed that MB chose to delete the mesh storage picket traditionally found in the passenger footwell. Since it is available in other markets, I was able to order one from MB. Also ordered and installed the under seat storage bins. I missed these from my '07 E-Class. I won't even mention the Yugo-esque plastic locking pins. . . . . Everybody else already has!! LOL I also had to do something about the generic plastic foot pedals, of course.

Please post photos of the seat back pockets. If I get these installed, I will certainly do the same (unless you found nicer ones, in which case I'll dump the Italian jobs and go with what you have.) Thanks!!

Here's how they're listed on Amazon:

Map Pocket - Lightweight Frame, Mesh Retainer - High-end Auto, RV, Bus, Marine, Utility Vehicle Map and Chart Pocket
by Britta Products
4 customer reviews
List Price: $18.95
Price: $17.95
Sold by Britta Products and Fulfilled by Amazon.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow quite a few interested parties ... ok let me compile something and will submit soon. :cool:

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't flame this too much ... this was just my odd version of an installation :wink:
No instructions came with the parts (didn't expect them either) so you may have better ideas
Got the parts via an online dealer parts department (these were from Skyland Auto in NC)
Didn't find an obvious section in the service manual for these so I just winged it

A) Make drill template using mounting posts on net frame itself and position accordingly (i.e. trial and error
such that the frame position is as low as possible and looks correct)
1A.JPG

B) Indent target points and drill out - small to large bits to prevent melting and warping else poor results
2A.JPG

3A.JPG

C) If all goes well fitment should be good and mounting posts slip through without forcing
4A.JPG

D) This is where I chose a "method" to execute this mounting - self threading nuts which needs a feed bevel
(maybe there is another Benz part for this but it wasn't clearly shown on the parts diagrams so I bailed on that)
5A.JPG

6A.JPG

7A.JPG

E) Just barely past finger tight for all 9 (to avoid snapping posts off) and secure for long term (drop of low cP CA)
8A.JPG

9A.JPG

F) If all goes well ... the storage net mounting looks pretty good
10A.JPG

YMMV and hope this is useful for some of our fellow members
Yanking that seat back panel off is a whole separate fiasco for some other posting day :crazy:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
cant argue with the results.. looks good.. and very cost effective.

Would love to see some pics with the seat cover installed back on the car.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like this afterwards ...
But I'm sure you noticed the unfinished lower portion ... that was a PITA to get out and I'm not reinstalling
that lower flap until I'm sure the job will stay and not need rework (part of the "fiasco" I noted before)
11A.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Few complaints with the car overall, but agreed...disappointing that the backside of the front seats do not have the netting.

Also noticed MB left out a few other little items on the CLA that I miss from my previous MB cars...

• the little hook in the back seat to hang dry cleaning (how costly can that be?)
  • The "holy sh*t" handles are in the back seat roof area but not for the front seats
  • The one feature I miss most is the "REST" button, which for some reason is available in Canada but not here (The U.S. has cold weather too)

BRING THE REST BUTTON BACK MB PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Had to look up "REST BUTTON". Sounds like a nice feature. Would be beneficial most anywhere in the winter, even here in Alabama.

"Your mileage may vary"
Age and Treachery Small1.jpg

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@M31988CLA
The PM system wont let me post pix so here it is:

You will need some nitrile gloves for strong grip and just pull the two ends out:

SeatbackRemoval03.JPG
SeatbackRemoval07.JPG

Then use a T20 to remove the panel holding screws:

SeatbackRemoval08.JPG
SeatbackRemoval09.JPG

Then as you can see from the internals (see the tabs at the top) just pull out slightly at the bottom and then yank the panel down:

SeatbackRemoval11.JPG

NB - as you can see from the right side of this fabric hold strip, I tried various "tools" to pull it out but just ended up marking the plastic ... so just good o' fingers works best.
Hope everything works out!!

(holy bovines 2yr anniversary for this post! heh ... gosh time flies)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks jmc, great pics and guide, it's much appreciated! Wish me luck, I'll post a guide for mechanical lumbar support retrofitting if it works out. I haven't come across one yet!

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks jmc, great pics and guide, it's much appreciated! Wish me luck, I'll post a guide for mechanical lumbar support retrofitting if it works out. I haven't come across one yet!
May your project turn out well! ?
Perhaps you have considered a basic internal lumbar "pad" suited for you? But of course not as flexible as an adjustable unit ...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Excellent DIY (not surprised!). I particularly like the shot of the Craftsmen drill!

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent DIY (not surprised!). I particularly like the shot of the Craftsmen drill!
Appreciate the sentiment! Yeah that little drill has been through hell with me ... from interior repairs to lagging concrete pilasters to you name it. Even the woman likes it ... cuz it is "so cute" (?!?!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
JMC, you have inspired me!

I am hopping over from the GLA forum and cross-posting here to look to follow your shining example that you shared with us all those years ago. But, I cannot find the part number anywhere for the bungie net!

I am very envious of people who live in other countries because they get lots of options (like all the data you can get from the Mercedes ME adapter, cool folding mirrors, etc). One of these great options would be the "stowage package" where you get, among other things, bungie nets on the back of your front seats!

So, knowing those bungie nets for the back of seats exist, I became desperate for a part number so I could maybe find someone in a country that's allowed to have them order some for me. Wow, what a scavenger hunt! I found this part which is the seat back cover with the net attached already, but as you can see it has been discontinued.

Because the seat cover panel part is shared for both GLA and CLA (at least through 2020?), I put CLA VIN #s into the EPC (which I still cannot figure out how to use very effectively), and I found my way to this diagram, but as you can see when I click on the net in the picture (# 540 in the diagram) I don't get a part number I get "Item no. not valid for this model designation".

So, I guess I'd have to find a VIN from a Latin American or other delivery destination that happens to have the stowage package to get the VIN in order to put that in the system and be allowed to find out this part number?

Does anyone have 1.) this part number, or 2.) access to a VIN for a CLA or GLA that shipped with the "stowage" package? I'd love all the part numbers from that package. The front bungie net would be awesome too. But, my current quest is for the seat bungie net OR even the back seat cover with the bungie net already attached (the discontinued thing, part # 24691015008L36).

I would be happy to share my findings with everyone here in case you too are interested in carrying a paper map or a pack of tissues in a pocket on the back of your seat like I have been able to in every Audi, VW, BMW, and probably most American cars I've ever owned!

Thank you!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts