Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2017 CLA and wondering if anyone here has had a front view camera installed for safer parking to avoid hitting the lower front spoiler on the car. If so, can it be integrated using the cars built in monitor or does it have to have a separate in cabin monitor?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have a new 2017 CLA and wondering if anyone here has had a front view camera installed for safer parking to avoid hitting the lower front spoiler on the car. If so, can it be integrated using the cars built in monitor or does it have to have a separate in cabin monitor?

Yes, Navitech makes the module that supports both rear view camera and front view camera. I have one installed, but decided against installing the front view camera.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just had a system priced out a couple of days ago. The system is Curb Alert Pro, which is a combination of a IR sensor and a camera. Both are mounted in the same center area of the car. When the IR sensor detects a solid object that is say 12" away, you will get a beep warning once (no more). At the same time, it triggers the front camera to turn on. The camera stays on for a set time period - e.g. 10 seconds. This system is used in conjunction with the NAVTV module (W205-N RVC). This allows the front camera to be shown directly on your COMAND screen.

The IR sensor and audible beep sounded pretty intriguing at first, but after reading reviews, some people say there are sometimes false positives when you go over speed bumps or hit steep driveways. Fortunately, its a single beep you get and thats it. For my BMW, i'm getting a front camera (only) that turns on with button press, so there are no "automatic" triggers that turn it on. I would just press the button when i'm parking the car and there is a concrete block or curb in front of me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the second option that you plan for the BMW. Would a system such as that also be available for the Mercedes?
The MMI system for BMWs is from an aftermarket company called Bimmertech (caters only to BMW crowd). When i compared this MMI system to the NAVTV W205, they look almost identical - i.e. takes in multiple cameras (AV1 and AV2), and can be triggered through some OEM COMAND button press. So essentially i think it would just be using the NAVTV W205 that is designed for Mercedes cars with the COMAND interface, then finding any mountable camera that uses a composite AV input that uses an RCA-type plug. Something like this or this.

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 1.25.18 PM.png

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The MMI system for BMWs is from an aftermarket company called Bimmertech (caters only to BMW crowd). When i compared this MMI system to the NAVTV W205, they look almost identical - i.e. takes in multiple cameras (AV1 and AV2), and can be triggered through some OEM COMAND button press. So essentially i think it would just be using the NAVTV W205 that is designed for Mercedes cars with the COMAND interface, then finding any mountable camera that uses a composite AV input that uses an RCA-type plug. Something like this or this.

View attachment 37625
Exactly, thats what my NAVTV system does, but I opted to not put in the front camera as yet. I found that the front sensors does a decent job to warn me of objects in front of the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Exactly, thats what my NAVTV system does, but I opted to not put in the front camera as yet. I found that the front sensors does a decent job to warn me of objects in front of the car.
Wait - you have both rear/front OEM parking sensors (Parktronic) but still put in NAVTV? Can i ask why? Are the OEM sensors/rear cam not sufficient?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The rearview camera is to warn me of people or cars suddenly zipping by behind me as I reverse. The parking sensors are great, as what they were meant for, guiding parking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
is this any good ?

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT704/w204-n-rvc.html

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
The pix will be interesting info
Hope the install goes well ... and remind them to use painters tape liberally everywhere fingers and tools may go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts