Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have money down on a CLA . . . . need help with going with a front wheel drive or wait for the 4Matic!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are going to be driving a lot in inclement weather I would say wait. If you drive mostly in good weather areas I think its unnecessary.
I am in Montreal, Canada, we get -40 temps and 20inch snow dumps...FWD with good winter tires is fine. Plus better gas mileage, reduced weight and improved performance. If it were RWD vs. 4matic then no contest...4matic all the way

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am in Montreal, Canada, we get -40 temps and 20inch snow dumps...FWD with good winter tires is fine. Plus better gas mileage, reduced weight and improved performance. If it were RWD vs. 4matic then no contest...4matic all the way
I agree, I have a C-Class with snow tires in the winter and I have no problems, but I did read somewhere that the new 4matic system will be light weight for the CLA and CLA45.

·
Registered
52 Posts
4matic for me. I dont even get snow i just prefer feel of awd over fwd. Performance wise if decide to mod better to put power to 4wheels as opposed to the front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone know if there price diff. Between fwd and 4-matic? I'm sure there is but just wanna know the price. In the U.S

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm thinking the 4Matic is a stand-alone option, as the Sports Package is $2k as-is (cosmetic bits along w/ upgraded brakes). And on the CLA45-AMG, the Sports Package (and then some) along w/ 4Matic are standard, meaning close to $5k+ of stuff that's optional on the CLA250.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dang.. Thx man. I guess my build might end up close to 38k
I assume you're in SE Asia? Why the need for the 4Matic? This MB AWD system is largely for traction-control, not geared (so to speak) towards performance (ala Quattro, SH-AWD, etc). It'll add weight to the CLA, lower the fuel-economy, increase tire-wear, and not improve performance/handling noticeably (to the best of my knowledge). For the non-AMG CLA, the 4Matic seems like a better option for those in the snow-belt regions. Just thinking out-loud here!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I'm currently in S.E Asia. But I live in the states (Washington state). So 4-matic is not a must but my bro have a c300 4-matic and recommend the 4-matic.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well I'm currently in S.E Asia. But I live in the states (Washington state). So 4-matic is not a must but my bro have a c300 4-matic and recommend the 4-matic.
Gotcha. Yea- PacNW w/ their rain, elevations, and snowy-seasonal conditions definitely could be apt for the 4Matic. Though w/ that said, the CLA being front-wheel-drive (FWD) & relatively lightweight, some all-season/all-weather tires should be adequate for inclement weather conditions. And some inexpensive steelies w/ dedicated snow-tires for when things get a bit more intense (though not really necessary unless in blizzard-like/snow-storm conditions).

The C-Class is a rear-wheel-drive (RWD) platform, which doesn't fare particularly well in rain/snow/ice compared to a FWD (front) platform. So, I can see the recommendation for the 4Matic on the C-Class.

There are very few regions in North America that I could see the 4Matic being a requisite, as the standard FWD CLA should be more than adequate (again w/ proper tires for the conditions).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts