Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now there might already be a thread about the FRS and I am not trying to duplicate or troll but I really wanted to go into detail on my dilemma or maybe even someone else's dilemma.

First off, a little introduction. I have owned a 96 Eclipse, 00 Civic Si, 08 Civic Si, and I currently drive a 13 FRS. So right off the bat you can tell that I have had PLENTY of FWD cars. I also worked on these cars quite often as well. I have been following this car for some time now and I really am torn. It's almost as if Mercedes said "Lets take everything from the FRS/BRZ and do the opposite and then sell it for the same price." Here's the reasons I BELIEVE this:

1. Pricing: Roughly the same price. Yes the BONE stock CLA will be about 30K so we are talking roughly 2-5K more which isn's a lot. Currently owning the FRS, there werent a ton of ways to get anything else out of it so the CLA is nice in that regard that it has a plethora of options. I wouldn't even mind the extra cost as the CLA is, well, a MERCEDES. Bravo!

2. MPG: This is roughly the same as well. The CLA will get better gas milage in the city as the ECO Start/Stop is an awesome addition. But as far as highway and the CLA having the twin scroll I can't imagine them being too far off in a real world scenario.

3. Interior: Hands down goes to the CLA. OBVIOUSLY. That's what you get when you buy a Mercedes. The class is all over the place. The FRS interior is cheap to put it nicely. The seats look similiar but I am not sure. I also want to point out that one thing I am in no interest of is leather. I actually don't like it and it may be due to the fact that I live in Phoenix and well, it's just not really a luxury lol.

4. Exterior: Oh boy... Well, as most of you will point out, this is like comparing apples to oranges IMO. They really were made to appeal to two different types of people. There is more class vs. more sporty. I honestly LOVE the look of the FRS. It just looks aggressive but the CLA has some real potential. Although I won't even be close to the price of the AMG version, the AMG version looks PERDY. I actually think both look great but I would like to see my car seated next to the CLA. That will really give me a good idea of what Exterior I think looks better. From the pictures, it seems to me the CLA is much bigger than the FRS but we will see (Yes I can look at dimensions but to put side by side will be a better comparison). I am also curious to see the build quality of the exteriors. The FRS up close might come off as cheap but again I'd like to see the CLA in person. Toyobaru did want to keep the cost of this car down.

5. Suspension/Handling/Transmission: This is hard to say as I have not yet driven the CLA. First off I want to say, WHY?!?!?! For the love of GOD, why did you make this car FWD lol. This is probably the most negative feature I see with this car. I understand they were keeping the price down but FWD is just a bummer. Torque steer, Body Roll (especially on a 3300lbs car) and just no excitement. And if you ever wanted to squeeze a bit more out of the motor, you will only make it worse. I just have never understood the reason for a 4 cyc turbo FWD. It just doesnt make any sense to me. I do understand it comes with an optional 4MATIC AWD but with that you just had huge powertrain loss on a motor that already has 208 for power. With that comes the next bad for me, no option for a manual. I haven't driven with a car with a paddle shifter but I do love the control you get with a stick. This might grow on me as I have heard that the Dual Clutch is actually quite good, so some part of me really wants to test it out.

6. Performance: I must say I am very excited to feel that torque in CLA. The FRS has a GROTESQUE torque curve. I have had it tuned on E85 since and it is MUCH better and almost none existent so it feels much better. I'd like to see how the CLA performes. It already has awesome perks. Twin scroll turbo, 208 hp, 258 lbs of torque, Direct Injection. That thing has some serious potential. Granted it's Mercedes first 4 cyclinder so I might wait (if I do decide the CLA) to make sure they iron out all of the kinks.

7. Warranty: I don't know if this matters for some people but considering this is the first time I have used a warranty with the FRS, it actually is kinda nice considering it's a new car as well and if anything goes wrong they will fix it. They both have pretty similiar warraties and I am curious if any Mercedes owners have had good experiences with their warranty services.

8. Tech: This is something that realy sways me towards the CLA. The gadgets and the Tech this car has is AWESOME to say the least. It has so many assists! It really makes the car feel like its a Mercedes. You feel like you have a ton of class and I bet it is insanely comfortable. I will say that this having so many assists it might feel like the car is doing all of the work but again that might be why many people buy this car. The FRS is all about you doing the work.

Summary: The weight, tranny, torque, turbo, interior, and tech, are all swapped on these cars. It's going from one end of the spectrum to the other. I must say that many of you are going to say this is an apples to oranges comparison and they are made in a completely different way and apply to different crowd altogether. And you are definitely right. I do agree with that statement. Maybe it's me not being able to come up with a decision on whether I want comfort and class, or a "drivers" sports car. For the past month and half, I really just can't decide what I want to do. I love how the FRS drives but it only has soo much potential and it just has a cheap outlook to it, whereas the CLA is class, comfort, and techy, but its heavy, AWD (my model at least), and a bit pricey.

I am really curious what you guys think especially anyone who has a twin. I tried to make this as unbiased as possible and with as much knowledge as I have on these two. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Now there might already be a thread about the FRS and I am not trying to duplicate or troll but I really wanted to go into detail on my dilemma or maybe even someone else's dilemma.

First off, a little introduction. I have owned a 96 Eclipse, 00 Civic Si, 08 Civic Si, and I currently drive a 13 FRS. So right off the bat you can tell that I have had PLENTY of FWD cars. I also worked on these cars quite often as well. I have been following this car for some time now and I really am torn. It's almost as if Mercedes said "Lets take everything from the FRS/BRZ and do the opposite and then sell it for the same price." Here's the reasons I BELIEVE this:

1. Pricing: Roughly the same price. Yes the BONE stock CLA will be about 30K so we are talking roughly 2-5K more which isn's a lot. Currently owning the FRS, there werent a ton of ways to get anything else out of it so the CLA is nice in that regard that it has a plethora of options. I wouldn't even mind the extra cost as the CLA is, well, a MERCEDES. Bravo!

2. MPG: This is roughly the same as well. The CLA will get better gas milage in the city as the ECO Start/Stop is an awesome addition. But as far as highway and the CLA having the twin scroll I can't imagine them being too far off in a real world scenario.

3. Interior: Hands down goes to the CLA. OBVIOUSLY. That's what you get when you buy a Mercedes. The class is all over the place. The FRS interior is cheap to put it nicely. The seats look similiar but I am not sure. I also want to point out that one thing I am in no interest of is leather. I actually don't like it and it may be due to the fact that I live in Phoenix and well, it's just not really a luxury lol.

4. Exterior: Oh boy... Well, as most of you will point out, this is like comparing apples to oranges IMO. They really were made to appeal to two different types of people. There is more class vs. more sporty. I honestly LOVE the look of the FRS. It just looks aggressive but the CLA has some real potential. Although I won't even be close to the price of the AMG version, the AMG version looks PERDY. I actually think both look great but I would like to see my car seated next to the CLA. That will really give me a good idea of what Exterior I think looks better. From the pictures, it seems to me the CLA is much bigger than the FRS but we will see (Yes I can look at dimensions but to put side by side will be a better comparison). I am also curious to see the build quality of the exteriors. The FRS up close might come off as cheap but again I'd like to see the CLA in person. Toyobaru did want to keep the cost of this car down.

5. Suspension/Handling/Transmission: This is hard to say as I have not yet driven the CLA. First off I want to say, WHY?!?!?! For the love of GOD, why did you make this car FWD lol. This is probably the most negative feature I see with this car. I understand they were keeping the price down but FWD is just a bummer. Torque steer, Body Roll (especially on a 3300lbs car) and just no excitement. And if you ever wanted to squeeze a bit more out of the motor, you will only make it worse. I just have never understood the reason for a 4 cyc turbo FWD. It just doesnt make any sense to me. I do understand it comes with an optional 4MATIC AWD but with that you just had huge powertrain loss on a motor that already has 208 for power. With that comes the next bad for me, no option for a manual. I haven't driven with a car with a paddle shifter but I do love the control you get with a stick. This might grow on me as I have heard that the Dual Clutch is actually quite good, so some part of me really wants to test it out.

6. Performance: I must say I am very excited to feel that torque in CLA. The FRS has a GROTESQUE torque curve. I have had it tuned on E85 since and it is MUCH better and almost none existent so it feels much better. I'd like to see how the CLA performes. It already has awesome perks. Twin scroll turbo, 208 hp, 258 lbs of torque, Direct Injection. That thing has some serious potential. Granted it's Mercedes first 4 cyclinder so I might wait (if I do decide the CLA) to make sure they iron out all of the kinks.

7. Warranty: I don't know if this matters for some people but considering this is the first time I have used a warranty with the FRS, it actually is kinda nice considering it's a new car as well and if anything goes wrong they will fix it. They both have pretty similiar warraties and I am curious if any Mercedes owners have had good experiences with their warranty services.

8. Tech: This is something that realy sways me towards the CLA. The gadgets and the Tech this car has is AWESOME to say the least. It has so many assists! It really makes the car feel like its a Mercedes. You feel like you have a ton of class and I bet it is insanely comfortable. I will say that this having so many assists it might feel like the car is doing all of the work but again that might be why many people buy this car. The FRS is all about you doing the work.

Summary: The weight, tranny, torque, turbo, interior, and tech, are all swapped on these cars. It's going from one end of the spectrum to the other. I must say that many of you are going to say this is an apples to oranges comparison and they are made in a completely different way and apply to different crowd altogether. And you are definitely right. I do agree with that statement. Maybe it's me not being able to come up with a decision on whether I want comfort and class, or a "drivers" sports car. For the past month and half, I really just can't decide what I want to do. I love how the FRS drives but it only has soo much potential and it just has a cheap outlook to it, whereas the CLA is class, comfort, and techy, but its heavy, AWD (my model at least), and a bit pricey.

I am really curious what you guys think especially anyone who has a twin. I tried to make this as unbiased as possible and with as much knowledge as I have on these two. What are your thoughts?
Ill answer some things for you right now although not everything since currently I am sick as f**k.

Pricing- The pricing for the CLA right now is perfect. It's just a tad above the GTI, but brings far more greater things then the GTI in my opinion. Also it costs a lot more because it doesn't have a cheap interior as the FRS (Test drove the FRS twice, felt the interior was completely cheap so I decided not to get it. Good car but meh) So from my opinion the price point is justified. (In agreement with you here except for at the end in your summary where you said its a bit pricey.)

MPG- Good MPG for a car with that much torque and HP. Burns less fuel then my GTI even though its heavier, has more hp, and hos more torque.

Interior- If your not interested in leather get MB text. Its like leather except for its not like leather at the same time lol. All I know is that its damn comfortable and during my test drives of the C classes in the summer I haven't sweated once (Believe it was 35 degrees celcius when I test drove them back then) although this might be different for you considering where you live. Honestly for this you need to take the car out for a test drive and see if the seats dont bother you during warm days. Thats truly the only thing you can do for this, but I think Mercedes has everything covered here.

Exterior- If you get the CLA 250 with sport package then it looks very similair to the AMG so you get the purdyness then lol. Also I do admit the FRS is more aggressive, but when I look at the CLA I see both aggression and class/luxury at the same time. So ya I agree with you put the cars side by side then which ever one calls out for you the most then get that one

Suspension/Handling/Transmission- Ok considering your going with the AWD ill talk about that first and somewhere at the end of this paragraph Ill talk a bit about FWD. Ok so AWD I must say will tremendously help the CLA, it might even give the CLA the performance numbers of the FRS. The reason for this is that the FRS has issues getting its grip with all the tires when you push it at the start, so a Mercedes with AWD which gets its grip right away could possibly even out perform the FRS (Just a guess here). Now for the FWD aspect, and Im going to talk about this base off the knowledge I have being a GTI owner. In FWD you do notice torque steer at the start, but its barely noticeable and extremely easy to manage in my opinion. So yes you'll lose a couple miliseconds thanks to that but not a extreme amount. Also FWD gives you better fuel economy therefore your sacrificing some speed for fuel economy in this aspect. Now for the handling. AWD-Handling is amazing, owns a RWD and FWD easily, but you cant have the fun of doing slides like you do in a RWD. FWD- Handling is damn good also. In my GTI I can go into turns hard and fast, and I can feel the G's at times. If it weren't for the sport seats then I'd be slipping out of the seat easily so handlings damn good in AWD cars also. Now for the transmission. My VW has a DSG which is dual clutch. Now I can easily say any dual clutch is a hundred times better then a manual and automatic. You get nice clean shifts, better fuel economy, better performance, and truthfully you dont even feel the gear shifts.

Performance- The FRS has massive issues when it comes to torque. Like 158 torque sorry but thats a extremely low amount for a sports car. Also another issue in my opinion at least and spec wise with the FRS is that it gets its full amount of hp and torque at extremely high revs, unlike the CLA which gets all of its torque at extremely low revs. Now performance wise if you get the AWD CLA then I believe it'll be just as good if not better then your FRS. Get the FWD then you get better fuel economy, but a slower CLA.

Warrant-Well Mercedes is a world class luxury brand so I wouldn't worry here. Plus I believe this depends on the dealership also slightly. Get a good one then you get good customer service. Get a bad one well then get bad quality customer service.

Tech- The Mercedes outclasses the FRS in every way in this department I might say. So much that for me at least its hard to compare the cars in this department.

Sumarry-Well Im to dead tired and sick to do this part, but based off the stuff I said the CLA is a truly amazing car. Its worth giving the look and actually test driving it/comparing it to your FRS. Then when you have to decide between the two then well its your decision.

Well I must say Im surprised I got all this done, hope it helps a bit, but now I must be off to die slowly in my bed lol.

Reactions: Sivtec

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Mmmmm Mr. Sivtec, you said you currently drive a Scion FRS ? I hope you are aware of the fact that it is not FWD. Both FRS and BRZ are front boxer engine - REAR wheel drive cars...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The FRS / BRZ at some point, after I am long dead and gone, will become a classic, perhaps like the 240Z. I am talking 2050 or later.
The CLA will just be another mass produced low end Mercedes the dealers will be lining up as loaners. No disrespect since I am getting one.
But that's the difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill answer some things for you right now although not everything since currently I am sick as f**k.

Pricing- The pricing for the CLA right now is perfect. It's just a tad above the GTI, but brings far more greater things then the GTI in my opinion. Also it costs a lot more because it doesn't have a cheap interior as the FRS (Test drove the FRS twice, felt the interior was completely cheap so I decided not to get it. Good car but meh) So from my opinion the price point is justified. (In agreement with you here except for at the end in your summary where you said its a bit pricey.)

MPG- Good MPG for a car with that much torque and HP. Burns less fuel then my GTI even though its heavier, has more hp, and hos more torque.

Interior- If your not interested in leather get MB text. Its like leather except for its not like leather at the same time lol. All I know is that its damn comfortable and during my test drives of the C classes in the summer I haven't sweated once (Believe it was 35 degrees celcius when I test drove them back then) although this might be different for you considering where you live. Honestly for this you need to take the car out for a test drive and see if the seats dont bother you during warm days. Thats truly the only thing you can do for this, but I think Mercedes has everything covered here.

Exterior- If you get the CLA 250 with sport package then it looks very similair to the AMG so you get the purdyness then lol. Also I do admit the FRS is more aggressive, but when I look at the CLA I see both aggression and class/luxury at the same time. So ya I agree with you put the cars side by side then which ever one calls out for you the most then get that one

Suspension/Handling/Transmission- Ok considering your going with the AWD ill talk about that first and somewhere at the end of this paragraph Ill talk a bit about FWD. Ok so AWD I must say will tremendously help the CLA, it might even give the CLA the performance numbers of the FRS. The reason for this is that the FRS has issues getting its grip with all the tires when you push it at the start, so a Mercedes with AWD which gets its grip right away could possibly even out perform the FRS (Just a guess here). Now for the FWD aspect, and Im going to talk about this base off the knowledge I have being a GTI owner. In FWD you do notice torque steer at the start, but its barely noticeable and extremely easy to manage in my opinion. So yes you'll lose a couple miliseconds thanks to that but not a extreme amount. Also FWD gives you better fuel economy therefore your sacrificing some speed for fuel economy in this aspect. Now for the handling. AWD-Handling is amazing, owns a RWD and FWD easily, but you cant have the fun of doing slides like you do in a RWD. FWD- Handling is damn good also. In my GTI I can go into turns hard and fast, and I can feel the G's at times. If it weren't for the sport seats then I'd be slipping out of the seat easily so handlings damn good in AWD cars also. Now for the transmission. My VW has a DSG which is dual clutch. Now I can easily say any dual clutch is a hundred times better then a manual and automatic. You get nice clean shifts, better fuel economy, better performance, and truthfully you dont even feel the gear shifts.

Performance- The FRS has massive issues when it comes to torque. Like 158 torque sorry but thats a extremely low amount for a sports car. Also another issue in my opinion at least and spec wise with the FRS is that it gets its full amount of hp and torque at extremely high revs, unlike the CLA which gets all of its torque at extremely low revs. Now performance wise if you get the AWD CLA then I believe it'll be just as good if not better then your FRS. Get the FWD then you get better fuel economy, but a slower CLA.

Warrant-Well Mercedes is a world class luxury brand so I wouldn't worry here. Plus I believe this depends on the dealership also slightly. Get a good one then you get good customer service. Get a bad one well then get bad quality customer service.

Tech- The Mercedes outclasses the FRS in every way in this department I might say. So much that for me at least its hard to compare the cars in this department.

Sumarry-Well Im to dead tired and sick to do this part, but based off the stuff I said the CLA is a truly amazing car. Its worth giving the look and actually test driving it/comparing it to your FRS. Then when you have to decide between the two then well its your decision.

Well I must say Im surprised I got all this done, hope it helps a bit, but now I must be off to die slowly in my bed lol.
Ha thanks man, feel better. I agree with a lot of what you said other than one thing. I am curious which one would actually be "slower", the FWD or the AWD. Yes you do get off the line faster but the AWD is going to have more Powertrain loss I would imagine. Just food for thought. Again I haven't driven it yet.

Mmmmm Mr. Sivtec, you said you currently drive a Scion FRS ? I hope you are aware of the fact that it is not FWD. Both FRS and BRZ are front boxer engine - REAR wheel drive cars...
Haha, Yea I know its RWD, Not sure where I put that it was FWD??? Trust me I know its Rear Wheel Drive :p. And both have a 50/50 Distro which helps as well. :)

The FRS / BRZ at some point, after I am long dead and gone, will become a classic, perhaps like the 240Z. I am talking 2050 or later.
The CLA will just be another mass produced low end Mercedes the dealers will be lining up as loaners. No disrespect since I am getting one.
But that's the difference.
Now that you mention that, I believe you might be on to something here. However, if Scion keeps making this car and it keeps selling like hot cakes maybe it will become the next civic, and in that regard it's time to sell. I hope it doesn't!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Ha thanks man, feel better. I agree with a lot of what you said other than one thing. I am curious which one would actually be "slower", the FWD or the AWD. Yes you do get off the line faster but the AWD is going to have more Powertrain loss I would imagine. Just food for thought. Again I haven't driven it yet.
Well I believe 0-60 at least AWD will be faster if not equal to RWD and thanks

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
These cars are complete 100% apples and oranges.

Do you want a RWD sports coupe (2 door)?
Do you want a FWD/AWD econolux sedan (4 door)?

If you want a car that handles like a sports car you will buy an FRS/BRZ.
If you want a sedan cruiser that talks the talk (i.e. design) but doesn't walk the walk (i.e. performance) then you will buy a CLA250.
If you prioritize handling and want a sports sedan that offers a combination of the best that the FRS/BRZ and 250 each have to offer then you will buy a BMW 320i.

Don't get me wrong, the CLA250 is a very nice car but every review of it has said the 250 is not a sports sedan despite its looks. It's not a contender in the performance realm against cars like the 1 or 3 series. If you're looking for a fashion statement that will get you where you want to go and look a whole lot better than either the FR-S or BRZ then the CLA is your ticket. The FRS and BRZ have been universally lauded as being among the best handling cars on the market bar none.

-Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These cars are complete 100% apples and oranges.

Do you want a RWD sports coupe (2 door)?
Do you want a FWD/AWD econolux sedan (4 door)?

If you want a car that handles like a sports car you will buy an FRS/BRZ.
If you want a sedan cruiser that talks the talk (i.e. design) but doesn't walk the walk (i.e. performance) then you will buy a CLA250.
If you prioritize handling and want a sports sedan that offers a combination of the best that the FRS/BRZ and 250 each have to offer then you will buy a BMW 320i.

Don't get me wrong, the CLA250 is a very nice car but every review of it has said the 250 is not a sports sedan despite its looks. It's not a contender in the performance realm against cars like the 1 or 3 series. If you're looking for a fashion statement that will get you where you want to go and look a whole lot better than either the FR-S or BRZ then the CLA is your ticket. The FRS and BRZ have been universally lauded as being among the best handling cars on the market bar none.

-Eric
I think the biggest reason is the potential the CLA "might" have...

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
You've got to keep in mind that the tuner markets for the Mercedes and the Subaru / Scion are VERY different. So, while I agree that there's a lot of potential for the 250, unlocking it will be crazy expensive compared to the cost of further unlocking the goodness that is the FRS/BRZ. The BRZ is ripe for modifications and there's even a rumored STI version on the way. My needs preclude a 2 door and anything without AWD but I think a BRZ STI would/will be awesome. :)

Most people who buy a 250 will do so simply because it is a Mercedes. We're on an enthusiasts board so you're going to find a higher percentage of people interested in upgrades but the average buyer (of any brand) isn't going to be as consumed by the need for a sports package. The same is true of most Audi or even BMW buyers (although BMW probably has a higher percentage of performance oriented buyers because...well...they're the "ultimate driving machine" brand). Whether the 250 holds a candle to the competition around a track will be an afterthought because it'll look so much better than the competition when its cruising around town, it will have a big honking 3 pointed star on its grill and, in truth, it handles well enough for most people that they won't care anyway. Even online it surprises me how many people lament the absence of "keyless go" before ever wishing for a tighter suspension.

Find a FRS/BRZ forum and I will venture a guess that the highest priority topic is going to be performance. It's not that it isn't a topic in the 250 forums but it's just not the same.

-Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You've got to keep in mind that the tuner markets for the Mercedes and the Subaru / Scion are VERY different. So, while I agree that there's a lot of potential for the 250, unlocking it will be crazy expensive compared to the cost of further unlocking the goodness that is the FRS/BRZ. The BRZ is ripe for modifications and there's even a rumored STI version on the way. My needs preclude a 2 door and anything without AWD but I think a BRZ STI would/will be awesome. :)

Most people who buy a 250 will do so simply because it is a Mercedes. We're on an enthusiasts board so you're going to find a higher percentage of people interested in upgrades but the average buyer (of any brand) isn't going to be as consumed by the need for a sports package. The same is true of most Audi or even BMW buyers (although BMW probably has a higher percentage of performance oriented buyers because...well...they're the "ultimate driving machine" brand). Whether the 250 holds a candle to the competition around a track will be an afterthought because it'll look so much better than the competition when its cruising around town, it will have a big honking 3 pointed star on its grill and, in truth, it handles well enough for most people that they won't care anyway. Even online it surprises me how many people lament the absence of "keyless go" before ever wishing for a tighter suspension.

Find a FRS/BRZ forum and I will venture a guess that the highest priority topic is going to be performance. It's not that it isn't a topic in the 250 forums but it's just not the same.

-Eric
I totally agree. In fact I wasn't real sure how this site was going to react to my post in the first place. A person who goes to a MB and does modifying, well you don't see too much of it. However, I have seen some INSANELY modded MB's. Not sure if anyone is familiar with the Agency Power C63... Epic. IF I did go with the MB, I am definitely in a new realm of people and I agree it will be more expensive. But it might stand out more as well.

I would be interested on how this thing goes around the track. I've always been a track enthusiast so I will definitely wait to see what people say as far as an autocross/track car. Definitely not something you would normally see on the track but to me that makes it more interesting. And yes... More expensive. I'm very interested in what people will be doing with this car as far as power and suspension. I will be definitely following this thread to see what the community does with this platform.

And I very well might go FI with the FRS. It's unfortunate the FA20 is of high compression but so far the results are good. And yes definitely on the FT86Club forum with almost 1000 posts... I post a lot... lol

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
As outsider said, this is where the CLA45 comes in.

IMHO, FWD isn't a good format for modding. The 250 already pushes 208hp to the front wheels. The closer you get to 275-300hp the more you're going to spin your front wheels and run into issues with torque steer. There are some awesome videos buried somewhere on Youtube of some crazy Swedes driving a highly modified Volvo 850R on a highway and inducing front wheel burnouts...at speed. It's kind of wild...and mostly unusable. I once thought about picking up a Mini Cooper S JCW Edition just for kicks. I went to the dealer for a test drive. They didn't have one on the lot (it was buried under several feet of snow) so I settled for a regular old Cooper S. Ever drive one? Holy Torquesteer, Batman. I can't even imagine how or why anyone would want the JCW version. It was fun to toss around but I really couldn't imagine the value of the extra power off of the line. Now, granted, the car I was driving was probably equipped with Summer rubber and I was driving it in the middle of winter but I've also driven them in the Summer and my experience wasn't much different.

If you want to play with hp you really need a good RWD or AWD system. The real potential is in the 45 and they've done a lot of the lead work for you. :) How can anyone argue with a car that does 0-60 in 4.1 sec?

-Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As outsider said, this is where the CLA45 comes in.

IMHO, FWD isn't a good format for modding. The 250 already pushes 208hp to the front wheels. The closer you get to 275-300hp the more you're going to spin your front wheels and run into issues with torque steer. There are some awesome videos buried somewhere on Youtube of some crazy Swedes driving a highly modified Volvo 850R on a highway and inducing front wheel burnouts...at speed. It's kind of wild...and mostly unusable. I once thought about picking up a Mini Cooper S JCW Edition just for kicks. I went to the dealer for a test drive. They didn't have one on the lot (it was buried under several feet of snow) so I settled for a regular old Cooper S. Ever drive one? Holy Torquesteer, Batman. I can't even imagine how or why anyone would want the JCW version. It was fun to toss around but I really couldn't imagine the value of the extra power off of the line. Now, granted, the car I was driving was probably equipped with Summer rubber and I was driving it in the middle of winter but I've also driven them in the Summer and my experience wasn't much different.

If you want to play with hp you really need a good RWD or AWD system. The real potential is in the 45 and they've done a lot of the lead work for you. :) How can anyone argue with a car that does 0-60 in 4.1 sec?

-Eric
Yea, reminds me a lot of a couple CRX's I use to work on back in the day. Lol over those days. What are you thoughts on modding the AWD version of the CLA? Trust me, if I could afford the CLA 45 I would in a heartbeat, just a bit out of my reach.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

-Eric
For the Keyless go I think Im one of the few which just doesn't care about that haha :p, also I agree with you on the CLA 250 people. They don't really care about performance, but then theres us CLA 45 AMG guys which truly do care about performance :p

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
For the Keyless go I think Im one of the few which just doesn't care about that haha :p, also I agree with you on the CLA 250 people. They don't really care about performance, but then theres us CLA 45 AMG guys which truly do care about performance :p
+ 1000 on performance

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
381 Posts
I didn't know they made the FRS/BRZ with four doors?

Plain and simple they can call them both coupes but one has 4 doors and the other doesn't. I am only interested in a four door car.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

Plain and simple they can call them both coupes but one has 4 doors and the other doesn't. I am only interested in a four door car.
They dont

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

They dont
Yep only two doors, which is why this car will be definitely more aligned with people who have kids.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
See, I think most parents have it wrong. If you want to keep your kids happy get them a car they love to get into. :)
My kids will choose the C4S 9 times out of 10 over my Volvo and even my wife's Pilot (with its rear seat entertainment system, wireless headsets, etc).
Their response when I say "we're taking the Volvo" is typically, "Noooooooo..."
I've trained them well. :D

If you need to carry "stuff"...well...that's what trailers are for! lol

-Eric

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
See, I think most parents have it wrong. If you want to keep your kids happy get them a car they love to get into. :)
My kids will choose the C4S 9 times out of 10 over my Volvo and even my wife's Pilot (with its rear seat entertainment system, wireless headsets, etc).
Their response when I say "we're taking the Volvo" is typically, "Noooooooo..."
I've trained them well. :D

If you need to carry "stuff"...well...that's what trailers are for! lol

-Eric
I say the exact thing your kids say when I have to get into my cousins 2011 C30 volvo or into my dads 2010 VW golf TDI wagon lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts