Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New poster here who fell in love with the CLA after seeing the Super Bowl ad. I hope to be a first time Merc owner later this year or early 2014 depending on whether I go with the FWD or 4Matic. Couple of questions:

- Do we know what the additional cost for the 4Matic will be? I've heard $2k tossed around.

- I live in SE Michigan where this year we've had several snowy days, but it is hit/miss from year to year. I think I want my next car to be AWD just for the added safety/security, but want to get other Merc owners thoughts based on my or a similar situation.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
315 Posts
New poster here who fell in love with the CLA after seeing the Super Bowl ad. I hope to be a first time Merc owner later this year or early 2014 depending on whether I go with the FWD or 4Matic. Couple of questions:

- Do we know what the additional cost for the 4Matic will be? I've heard $2k tossed around.

- I live in SE Michigan where this year we've had several snowy days, but it is hit/miss from year to year. I think I want my next car to be AWD just for the added safety/security, but want to get other Merc owners thoughts based on my or a similar situation.

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to the site!!! I'm in Toronto and I drive a rear wheel drive C-Class. I'm going to wait for the 4Matic CLA. With the amount of snow we're getting AWD is not really necessary as long a s you have winter tires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the site!!! I'm in Toronto and I drive a rear wheel drive C-Class. I'm going to wait for the 4Matic CLA. With the amount of snow we're getting AWD is not really necessary as long a s you have winter tires.
Thanks, CLAMP.

My in-laws have a cottage two hours east of Toronto in Prince Edward County, so I drive through a fair amount, but primarily in the Summer.

Based on your comments, why are you waiting for the 4Matic? Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks, CLAMP.

My in-laws have a cottage two hours east of Toronto in Prince Edward County, so I drive through a fair amount, but primarily in the Summer.

Based on your comments, why are you waiting for the 4Matic? Thanks.
Because I drive 3 hours north of Toronto and I drive to Windsor, plus I want to wait until the CLA has some releases under it's belt to work out any bugs/kinks. Probably won't have any, but that's just me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough. I'm leaning toward waiting for similar reasons (travel to Chicago frequently, which can be very bad around the lake in SW Michigan and NW Indiana), but wanted to get others' thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Being a relatively lightweight platform w/ FWD drivetrain, I'd say the CLA would be fine w/ proper seasonal tires (proper winter/snow tires in the snow-belt regions). If it was RWD, then I could see the 4Matic being more critical in such areas w/ more tenuous climates. With that said, the 4Matic will no doubt help put down that fair bit of torque (relatively speaking) in less-than-ideal driving conditions (wet & slick surfaces, downpours, snow & ice, etc).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just remember, AWD does not help you stop in snow or ice, only winter tires help you stop in snow. I love watching SUV owners trying to stop and have their vehicle slide everywhere. They all think "well I have AWD so I'm good in winter".

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 2 cents from an earlier post of mine:
I am in Montreal, Canada, we get -40 temps and 20inch snow dumps...FWD with good winter tires is fine (I have Nokian but good Bridgestone or Michelin do the job) Plus better gas mileage, reduced weight and improved performance. If it were RWD vs. 4matic then no contest...4matic all the way

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is AWD on small sedans or sports cars just something pushed on consumers hoping for added safety/control but not adding a whole lot of value (compared to FWD with snow tires)?

I just would've accepted someone in Montreal, for example, to go with AWD over FWD. But maybe car company's marketing tactics have brainwashed me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in Montreal as well and am I big fan of the 4Matic. My current ride is a C-class 4matic and I have found it to be excellent in the winter. Considering where I live, I think the 2K is well worth it. I agree FWD with good winters is acceptable, but AWD with good winters in even better :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for their thoughts -- including the Battle Royale from Montreal. Decisions, decisions...I don't think I want to go over $35k, so could only choose two of the three major options currently in this order 1)Premium, 2)4Matic and 3)Sport.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks everyone for their thoughts -- including the Battle Royale from Montreal. Decisions, decisions...I don't think I want to go over $35k, so could only choose two of the three major options currently in this order 1)Premium, 2)4Matic and 3)Sport.
Just make sure that you make your dealer work for your business. Make sure once you get them hammered down that you leave the dealership... most of the time they call back after a few hours with an even lower price :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think I might get the FWD.

If it were a BMW I'd get the AWD because RWD would make my winters miserable.

I know the AWD is better for the snow, but I can tolerate the FWD (and its small torque steer). My main reason for going with the FWD is not cost, but rather because it should be a little bit quicker than the AWD. I know it won't be by much, but the 4-cyl engine is already underpowered IMO. I don't want to make mine any more underpowered.

I live in New England where there can be ice on the road anytime from November through April.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here's my 5 cents (no more pennies in Canada, so I can't say "here's my 2 cents"). I'd rather have the luxury, good looking stuff like premium and sports packages (plus xenon headlights) than 4matic. I've NEVER had a AWD car and I've driven just fine in all kinds of weather, especially winter and I've ALWAYS have had winter tires, so I'm sure that helps in bad winter weather.

Don't forget, winter is only from December to February with some storms (very few, really) showing up in November and March.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's my 5 cents (no more pennies in Canada, so I can't say "here's my 2 cents"). I'd rather have the luxury, good looking stuff like premium and sports packages (plus xenon headlights) than 4matic. I've NEVER had a AWD car and I've driven just fine in all kinds of weather, especially winter and I've ALWAYS have had winter tires, so I'm sure that helps in bad winter weather.

Don't forget, winter is only from December to February with some storms (very few, really) showing up in November and March.
Very very true that last part...I think i counted maybe 4-5 days so far this winter where I actually drove on snow/ice. It's getting to the point where I actually considered a RWD 335i for a certain time.
IT's sad really that the winters are getting like this, global Warming people...maybe we should all get Tesla's and Fiskers instead !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point on length of winter, CLAMP. The last two years the midwest has had little snow/ice, so I'm a bit jaded with the current weather. No bad snow (yet), but enough every other day or so to make me seriously consider it at $2k.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Very very true that last part...I think i counted maybe 4-5 days so far this winter where I actually drove on snow/ice. It's getting to the point where I actually considered a RWD 335i for a certain time.
IT's sad really that the winters are getting like this, global Warming people...maybe we should all get Tesla's and Fiskers instead !
Of course, as I type this southern Ontario is "supposed" to get hit with a MAJOR storm dumping up to 30-35cm (12 inches). More than likely we'll only get 20cm. Having said that, this will be the first "big" snow storm of the 2012/2013 winter. I know Montreal got hit with a couple of storms, but for us, we've barely got any snow.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good point on length of winter, CLAMP. The last two years the midwest has had little snow/ice, so I'm a bit jaded with the current weather. No bad snow (yet), but enough every other day or so to make me seriously consider it at $2k.
Not sure about the US, but Mercedes dealers here have lots of cars on the lots with various different packages/options in different cars with a few thrown in with all/most of the options/packages.

I'm pretty sure all dealers worldwide are the same.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Of course, as I type this southern Ontario is "supposed" to get hit with a MAJOR storm dumping up to 30-35cm (12 inches). More than likely we'll only get 20cm. Having said that, this will be the first "big" snow storm of the 2012/2013 winter. I know Montreal got hit with a couple of storms, but for us, we've barely got any snow.
The "Terrible" Toronto winter conditions are always source of friendly banter during conference calls with my To colleagues! ;-)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts