Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every year since I bought my CLA (2014) when it gets cold and i turn the heat on the cabin gets a gas smell that does not go away. I have told my local dealership and others this happens & they don't ever seem to think it is an issue. Mind you I have had tons of engine issues, been in the shop many times, once for almost 2 months while they replaced cracked heads and gaskets etc. and yet the dealership still thinks my car is perfectly fine. I always feel undervalued since I have the entry level Mercedes and they don't pay much attention to my issue. Any thoughts and or suggestions on how to handle this? Its winter so my car is going to smell like gas for a couple of months & I don't think it is right!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
maybe take a look on top of the pedals in your footwell to verify all the holes in the firewall are plugged?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe take a look on top of the pedals in your footwell to verify all the holes in the firewall are plugged?
thank you for this, I will say the gas smell is more apparent when the heat is blowing down on my feet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Low pressure fuel line going into the high pressure fuel pump. I've seen these on many c117 and this is usually the repair solution. Very common on m274 engines in the 205 and 213 chassis as well. Very simple repair, just take the engine cover off, remove the foam for the high pressure pump, remove the low fuel pressure quiclamps and replace the hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So every year since I bought my CLA (2014) when it gets cold and i turn the heat on the cabin gets a gas smell that does not go away. I have told my local dealership and others this happens & they don't ever seem to think it is an issue. Mind you I have had tons of engine issues, been in the shop many times, once for almost 2 months while they replaced cracked heads and gaskets etc. and yet the dealership still thinks my car is perfectly fine. I always feel undervalued since I have the entry level Mercedes and they don't pay much attention to my issue. Any thoughts and or suggestions on how to handle this? Its winter so my car is going to smell like gas for a couple of months & I don't think it is right!!
Happened to my 2014 CLA 45AMG. They lifted the car looking for a plastic bag trapped and blocking. Nothing. The dealership drive the car and told me everything is fine... Ended up being a cracked manifold. $5K repair cost covered by warranty. Took me forever to convince them I’m not crazy with smell hallucinations...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happened to my 2014 CLA 45AMG. They lifted the car looking for a plastic bag trapped and blocking. Nothing. The dealership drive the car and told me everything is fine... Ended up being a cracked manifold. $5K repair cost covered by warranty. Took me forever to convince them I’m not crazy with smell hallucinations...
Yeah they have already replaced a ton of the engine about two years ago, headers were cracked, valves etc. had my car in the shop for over a month and it still smells. I tried pushing the lemon law but they just laughed at me

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Yeah they have already replaced a ton of the engine about two years ago, headers were cracked, valves etc. had my car in the shop for over a month and it still smells. I tried pushing the lemon law but they just laughed at me
Wait ... what were all those earlier repairs for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought it was the gas smell but they never did anything then the engine light came on and i took it in. they never really told me what was wrong but i have the 3 pages of part list that they repaired. I couldn't believe it! They didnt give me much detail, I always think they treat me differently since I have the base model Mercedes

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Thats quite the repair job back then ... post it if you can and we can take a look

With the engine idling and hood up with engine cover off, can you pick up any gas smells in the engine bay? Especially (a) near the front where the exhaust line is and (b) top of the engine to the right of the oil cap where the fuel lines are

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats quite the repair job back then ... post it if you can and we can take a look

With the engine idling and hood up with engine cover off, can you pick up any gas smells in the engine bay? Especially (a) near the front where the exhaust line is and (b) top of the engine to the right of the oil cap where the fuel lines are
JMC I attached two of the repair sheets. I forgot that I have replaced two batteries also in which one was within a year of having the car. The other .pdf shows what they repaired

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts