Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing I am. As I’m driving my car for a while the inside of my car starts to smell like gas. I have no clue what’s going on. I have no gas leak. It’s just when I turn on the AC it’s coming out from the vent.
I know I also have to replace my auxiliary battery. I’m sure that has nothing to do with the gas smell? I’m driving the car right now and it’s not doing it. But yesterday the smell was unbearable Has anyone came across the same issue. The issue of you smiling gas inside your car while you’re driving coming out from the vent please advise

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
RAW GAS ODOR DURING A/C USAGE
_
Faltaceite >
Help the Members.
Mileage?
What model year do you have?
What was the last service date at an MB dealer?
Date first noticed?
__
We will see if any other Member has run into this same issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys. I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing I am. As I’m driving my car for a while the inside of my car starts to smell like gas. I have no clue what’s going on. I have no gas leak. It’s just when I turn on the AC it’s coming out from the vent.
I know I also have to replace my auxiliary battery. I’m sure that has nothing to do with the gas smell? I’m driving the car right now and it’s not doing it. But yesterday the smell was unbearable Has anyone came across the same issue. The issue of you smiling gas inside your car while you’re driving coming out from the vent please advise
Sorry to hear you have an issue. My previous car was a 2014 CLA 45 AMG. After almost 3 years and about 30K km I started noticing a smell of gas (but mainly smoky smell) in the cabin, getting worse with AC on. Took it to the dealer where they raised the car looking for some plastic wrapped/blocking clearance, but nothing. I kept nagging and eventually they found a crack in the manifold. Fixed under warranty and problem solved. Now I’m enjoying a 2020 model as I was otherwise extremely happy with the car. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
.....c) What was the last service date at an MB dealer?
d) Date first noticed?.....
Can you recall these 2 dates?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Great (y) news...What led you to suspect the battery, a message on your OBC?
How about your main battery...is it OEM or a replacement?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I already figured it out. Anybody in the future having gas smells inside the car, replace the auxiliary battery. When it goes bad it smells like gas. I replaced mines my self and no more smell
Interesting, what's in the auxillary battery that emits a gasoline like smell when it gets old???

Most common batteries are lead acid based. Why would a worn out auxiliary battery emit gasoline like smell? honestly, scientifically, engineering wise, it does not make any sense...

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I really think what the OP was suggesting to be gasoline like smell, was really H2S (hydrogen sulfide, rotten eggs smell). It is very common for car batteries to emit bad rotten egg smell once it gets really old and the contents "degraded".

Funny thing though, gasoline smell and hydrogen sulfide smell is totally different... go figure...

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Faltaceite > What was it that led you to suspect the auxiliary battery? Was it your Service Advisor?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.