Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Cla 250 4matic this happening on and off but recently it just stay like this in the past 2 weeks. Please let me know how to fix this problem. Let me begin what happening to the car, I can put in a drive position and drive the car but when i want to park the car which i can not put it back to P position, so what i have to do is opening the door and the gear automatically switch to P position. This problem has been on and off in the past 6 months and sometimes it took 2 or 3 days to be back to normal. If any one know or happening the same thing please advise. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Welcome BB :), since that this your first post.
*In an issue such as yours, your best first step would be to check for codes.
(We have to go with the information you give us, so I take it that you have not seen any messages displayed and also that the check engine light is off. If there is anything unusual about the car's history, now would be the time to mention it)
AutoZone is one place where you can have the codes checked at no cost - with the virus restrictions...call first. Some of them might ask if the check engine light has been lit.
Your dealer will charge a diagnosis fee.
Other members may give additional input.

Reactions: Badboy

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
well at least what most folks do not want (the auto p when door opened) still works as a benefit for you :)
maybe the p button is failing or needs cleaning (like some noted their eco buttons not working until cleaned)
but then not sure how to do that .... ?
pretty sure the dealer will say change the entire stalk column

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(We have to go with the information you give us, so I take it that you have not seen any messages displayed and also that the check engine light is off. If there is anything unusual about the car's history, now would be the time to mention it)
AutoZone is one place where you can have the codes checked at no cost - with the virus restrictions...call first. Some of them might ask if the check engine light has been lit.
thank you for your reply and i will ASAP have AutoZone check the code as your advise and will keep you update.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well at least what most folks do not want (the auto p when door opened) still works as a benefit for you :)
maybe the p button is failing or needs cleaning (like some noted their eco buttons not working until cleaned)
but then not sure how to do that .... ?
pretty sure the dealer will say change the entire stalk column

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for your reply and i will ASAP have AutoZone check the code as your advise and will keep you update.
As you mention i brought this car brand new and never have any problem with the car however no message or check engine light was on but it keep happening in the passed six months on and off.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
As Brother JMC has mentioned, it might jest be dirty...take a good close look at the control arm.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The wand where you "Push" for park is about the only thing you can easily check. See if there is an indication of gum or dirt that you can see around the button, JMC will clarify if that is not what he means.

Reactions: Badboy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank for the info i will have a look at it and see how to remove and get it clean.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Removing may cause more complex issues, just inspect closely and wipe if necessary to prevent any sticking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Removing may cause more complex issues, just inspect closely and wipe if necessary to prevent any sticking.
the push button is working as smooth as before no any gum outside or surrounding but as what you said it might be the contact inside the switch that i was wonder if it might be dirty. do you know if i have to remove the whole steering wheel to get to it or i can just pop up?

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Yes it is the push to p button on the shift stalk
Just a long shot to “clean” (but be careful) is use high pressure air through a skinny plastic pipe directed at the small gap between the button and the stalk ... if you use can air make sure to test it first to be dry
Also another system check
  • stop the car to park it
  • but leave it in d
  • engage brake hold using brake pedal
  • turn off engine and remove key
It should shift to p itself

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there another way to remove and have a nice clean if you have an idea please advise thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi again quite a long time I just went to the shop and have them scan the code which it came out U1420-00 and also P172A-00 I search in Google but nothing came up if you have any idea please advise that would be really appreciated thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would check replace aux battery
I did change both the battery 5 days ago and it still happening on and off is it really truth I had talked to one mechanic he said I only need to go to dealer only because if it need the electronic lever module that connect to the transmission. They need to be coded and it can be done by dealer only. Please help if you have any idea. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P172A00 "Direct Select Lever has a malfunction" Would brake sensor be bad also and cause the issue ?
How do I check if that cause the issues . My break is not that low because there is no message on the dash panel. Please be advise thank you

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
tritron has a point
trace and check the wires to the switch at the brake pedal ... if you find the connector try disconnecting, twist 360, and reconnect
cheap diagnostic worth a try

1 - 20 of 21 Posts