Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I currently have a diverter valve from GoFastBits and have been seeing some feedback from other people on the forum. Some saying it’s good and some saying it’s not. I’ve seen suggestions to install a Turbosmart BOV.

I was wondering if the change to a BOV will have a different driving experience than a diverter valve. Anyone care to explain the difference betweena BOV and diverter valve. Also, can someone give me a detailed explanation on which would be better for the long run of modding. I currently have an arma intake and muffler/resonator delete. In addition, any more information or feedback on either the GFB diverter valve or TURBOSMART product would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Both are the same in the sense that they are designed to release pressure created by the turbo when the throttle is lifted and prevent exessive boost. Turbokit's BOV is designed to "blow-off" the pressurized air in the atmosphere and produce the "psshh" sound that most Civic-heads obsess about. When you accelerate, the turbo needs to build pressure again..hence turbo lag is created.

GFB's and Turbosmart's diverter valve solves this by manipulating the timing and volume of air pressure released, hence the turbo taking less time to spool and give the desired boost.

GFB uses the factory actuator whereas Turbosmart does not. Turbosmart also offers the best of both worlds by combining the GFB and Turbokits BOV in one unit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both are the same in the sense that they are designed to release pressure created by the turbo when the throttle is lifted and prevent exessive boost. Turbokit's BOV is designed to "blow-off" the pressurized air in the atmosphere and produce the "psshh" sound that most Civic-heads obsess about. When you accelerate, the turbo needs to build pressure again..hence turbo lag is created.

GFB's and Turbosmart's diverter valve solves this by manipulating the timing and volume of air pressure released, hence the turbo taking less time to spool and give the desired boost.

GFB uses the factory actuator whereas Turbosmart does not. Turbosmart also offers the best of both worlds by combining the GFB and Turbokits BOV in one unit.
Thank you sir. Great explanation and easy to understand. So I’m definitely sticking with a diverter valve but will probably change to the Turbosmart dv since it might be more reliable using its own system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts