Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has a good iphone mount that they can recommend? I have been through two so far in my 2014 CLA (both had great amazon reviews) but i wasn't happy either of them. So i'm reaching out to see what fellow CLA owners have good experiences with before I purchase my next one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had a lot of luck with the Magnetic ones vs cd or air vent ones. the brand i have is Boocosa (amazon) the only issue i have is.. it gets really f'ing hot where i am and the adhesive that holds the mount to the dash will melt and end up falling off with the weight of my phone after a while.
ive also heard of issues with the CD slot mounted ones melting in high heat too, my old roommate almost got his stuck one year.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I'm a fan of the CD holder mounts, both magnetic and otherwise, because the placement is convenient but out of the direct sunlight that foils windshield mounts. In fact, they put the phone directly in line for cooling from the center vent.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yeah i need to find a better place, so far ive just been sticking it in between one of the 3 center air vents on the dash. Thought it would be kind of out of the sun enough + being cold from the AC would help but not so much haha.
Its only an issue during the summer months though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got this CD mount with wireless Qi power recently before driving my car across this country. It works fairly well. It's a little shaky compared to my previous (bigger) CD mount.

However wireless charging doesn't always provide enough power to charge the phone when the screen is at full brightness & navigation is active. This is true on my iPhone XS and my partner's iPhone 8 Plus. Smaller phones should be OK.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PXW152N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
They're usually a third the price or less @ aliexpress, if you don't mind waiting.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I ordered this mount after a suggestion on this forum. It seems to make the most sense, for me, as I use my CD slot sometimes. It comes from China, so it hasn't arrived yet.
I'll chime in again when it arrives. The person who suggested it really likes it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NY1NTBF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_riQdDb6AWNWG9?tag=mercedesclaconvert-20
That does look good, but one of the reviews says removal of the vent rings is necessary for installation. Looking fwd to hearing about your experience.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
That does look good, but one of the reviews says removal of the vent rings is necessary for installation. Looking fwd to hearing about your experience.
Came in the mail yesterday. Had a fantastic gig last evening, so no time to install. No need to remove the vent rings, thankfully. Really easy.
Here's a video on YouTube showing how to do it.

IMG_0025.jpg
Sorry the photo is sideways, but this is my car after the installation. The photo was uploaded by this site sideways for some reason.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
This looks great! Hmm I don't see why it wouldn't work for CLA45...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I was about to order then i saw on aliexpress these are not for Amgs :/
It should be the same for a 45. The vents are spaced the same, aren't they? I have a 14 250. Cheap enough to give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Well of course
So the base pad is stuck onto the dash panel? Serious double sided 3m tape?
Hah? What? Watch the video I posted Initally. All will be clear. Well, at least regarding this thing.
No pasting, taping, gluing, spitting.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Hah? What? Watch the video I posted Initally. All will be clear. Well, at least regarding this thing.
No pasting, taping, gluing, spitting.
Silly video didnt play that day ... must have been a bad phone day
And of course it plays now? Good grief.
Guess the base mount is wedged in ... though since the vent ring profile is straight out am surprised it stays put.
Cute little gadget.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts