Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
...aaaaaaaand that's why I'm willing to "waste" $450 on the exhaust upgrade...although I think the car sharted in its pants at the 2:23 mark. lol Hey, it happens to the best of us. Just make sure to carry wipes in your car.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
This is where the forum is great as it allows a clear divergence of opinions.

After watching the video, I quickly crossed the AMG exhaust option off my order list.
3:15 pm every afternoon during school year, the neighborhood around my local high school is rocked
by identical exhaust sounds coming out of dozens of old Civics, Sentras, Focuses all with after-market
mufflers that make loud noises but do little to improve the real performance of their $6000 4-bangers.
I do not want my $60,000 CLA45 to be mistaken at a distance to be one of the high schooler's vehicles.
The overrun backfire from the AMG exhaust is especially hideous. The sound only becomes sweet when
the engine winds up on the straight. Just for comparison, go to You-tube and take a listen of what
a Mercedes 6.3 sounds like, then flip back to this video.

·
Registered
896 Posts
wasn't getting before this vid and not getting after ..

I dislike the fart LESS than the amount I dislike the backfire in this vid :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
This is where the forum is great as it allows a clear divergence of opinions.

After watching the video, I quickly crossed the AMG exhaust option off my order list.
3:15 pm every afternoon during school year, the neighborhood around my local high school is rocked
by identical exhaust sounds coming out of dozens of old Civics, Sentras, Focuses all with after-market
mufflers that make loud noises but do little to improve the real performance of their $6000 4-bangers.
I do not want my $60,000 CLA45 to be mistaken at a distance to be one of the high schooler's vehicles.
The overrun backfire from the AMG exhaust is especially hideous. The sound only becomes sweet when
the engine winds up on the straight. Just for comparison, go to You-tube and take a listen of what
a Mercedes 6.3 sounds like, then flip back to this video.
lol consider me a if kid, I guess. A 4 banger is a 4 banger is a 4 banger. Nothing anyone does to it will ever make its exhaust note resemble a car with more pistons. I don't happen to think it sounds like the Civics or Sentras with those coffee can mufflers that you're referring to but, as you would likely agree, that's what makes the world go around.

I'm sure I've said this here before but I've got a sport exhaust on my Sonett that's built by a well known Vintage Saab shop. At the end of the day, while I think it sounds great it is still a V4. Some SAAB guys feel better by telling people it's 1/2 of a Ford V8 but, in truth, its 2/3 of a Ford V6 and, guess what? It still doesn't sound anything like a V6! lol. I just want to hear my sports sedan. I don't want the cabin to be solitary confinement.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I love sweet induction sound. I love deep rumble from American V-8's. But the A 45 AMG sound from the video just wasn't right.
BTW, the Saab Sonett is a lovely little car. Not unlike the Opel GT from the same vintage. Personally, I am in love with a nice Volvo P1800.
The Swedes know how to make quirky but very cool cars.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I actually understand your criticism. It sounded...hollow...maybe? I'm not sure whether that best describes it but it lacked any baritone or the depth of a larger engine. At one point it actually sounded like a two stroke...but I will take that sound over silence. :)

-Eric

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wonder what it sounds like without the AMG exhaust option! :disappointed:
There's a vid on youtube. Search A45 and scroll down a bit. It's from a private buyer in Europe somewhere ripping through crowded narrow streets.

·
Registered
82 Posts
But do we know for a fact that the CLA45 on the video on this page has the optional AMG exhaust and the one on the video you reference does not? I wonder if there is any way to compare the sound of the exhaust with and without the AMG Exhaust option. Has anyone been able to listen to both?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts