Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm currently looking for my next company car. It will be used for business and occasional family use. I have 3 children who are still small enough to fit in the back of a coupe so this may be my last chance before I have to return to the trusted saloon.

Here are my thoughts on the CLA so far...

Sport looks good
AMG Sport looks even better but is it worth the extra ££££'s?
Attractive price point.
Smaller cabin than the 3-series.
Reasonable CO2 emmisions.
Built on the outgoing A-Class chasis so I predict a new model sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm currently looking for my next company car. It will be used for business and occasional family use. I have 3 children who are still small enough to fit in the back of a coupe so this may be my last chance before I have to return to the trusted saloon.

Here are my thoughts on the CLA so far...

Sport looks good
AMG Sport looks even better but is it worth the extra ££££'s?
Attractive price point.
Smaller cabin than the 3-series.
Reasonable CO2 emmisions.
Built on the outgoing A-Class chasis so I predict a new model sooner rather than later.
Welcome, Preston! I haven't seen the CLA in person yet, but I know that the back in my C-class is tight. Not sure I would try to squeeze 3 kids into a CLA.
I use my car for business but that involves transporting me and a laptop- occasionally a colleague. Once in a while I have adults in the back and it gets tight. If you drive clients around, that could be a concern. Although (no offense intended) Europeans are more accustomed to smaller cars. We need big limousines for our fat American posteriors :crying:

I plan to go for the AMG because it is probably the most reasonable premium sports sedan (saloon) on the market- C63 or BMW M-class are much more expensive and much less efficient. In some business situations, having a premium sports car conveys a certain impression- like an Armani suit or a Rolex. Some people may not care- some even consider it "showing off". Depends on your situation.

Car companies are very creative with their platforms these days- some cars with the same name can be riding on completely different versions-. Often with a new XYZ car, the "2013" XYZ convertible will be built on the old platform. I am a little more concerned that the CLA is a new class altogether. Hence I plan to lease, then make the decision to buy it out at the end of the lease. Again, not sure how leasing works in England.

Hope this helps- good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome, Preston! I haven't seen the CLA in person yet, but I know that the back in my C-class is tight. Not sure I would try to squeeze 3 kids into a CLA.
I use my car for business but that involves transporting me and a laptop- occasionally a colleague. Once in a while I have adults in the back and it gets tight. If you drive clients around, that could be a concern. Although (no offense intended) Europeans are more accustomed to smaller cars. We need big limousines for our fat American posteriors :crying:

I plan to go for the AMG because it is probably the most reasonable premium sports sedan (saloon) on the market- C63 or BMW M-class are much more expensive and much less efficient. In some business situations, having a premium sports car conveys a certain impression- like an Armani suit or a Rolex. Some people may not care- some even consider it "showing off". Depends on your situation.

Car companies are very creative with their platforms these days- some cars with the same name can be riding on completely different versions-. Often with a new XYZ car, the "2013" XYZ convertible will be built on the old platform. I am a little more concerned that the CLA is a new class altogether. Hence I plan to lease, then make the decision to buy it out at the end of the lease. Again, not sure how leasing works in England.

Hope this helps- good luck!
I saw it in real live a few weeks ago at the Benelux Headquarters of MB. In the back it can be a bit tight if you want to sit there with 3 adults, but kids should fit good. However if you squeze in the back, you have to mind your head, because it's pretty low. I knew it was low, but still bumped my head getting in the back. Here in Belgium the're having an "open door week" at MB dealers as from next week, completly aroudn the new CLA. And mine will be delivered around the 22th of this month !

·
Registered
161 Posts
I saw it in real live a few weeks ago at the Benelux Headquarters of MB. In the back it can be a bit tight if you want to sit there with 3 adults, but kids should fit good. However if you squeze in the back, you have to mind your head, because it's pretty low. I knew it was low, but still bumped my head getting in the back. Here in Belgium the're having an "open door week" at MB dealers as from next week, completly aroudn the new CLA. And mine will be delivered around the 22th of this month !
We are all very jealous here :haha: Please take lots of pictures and video for us!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thoughts. It has got me thinking.

The AMG spec does look nice but I don't have the sort of job that requires a "sporty" impression so I will need to consider if the extra cost is worth it. That said, it would help with my mid-life crisis a little. :)

Definately, just kids in the back for me. 5, 6 and 8 years old. Space in the front will be more important and that looks sufficient from what I can work out from the specification.

Test drive, a must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts