Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody know how they are likely to implement the hand sensor for the lane keeping assistance?

I typically drive with only my left hand on the wheel (before you say anything, I haven't had an accident in almost 10 years). I find I get better control with one hand as opposed to 2. I also keep it low on the wheel (about 8 o'clock). Is the car going to think I never have my hands on the wheel?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Does anybody know how they are likely to implement the hand sensor for the lane keeping assistance?

I typically drive with only my left hand on the wheel (before you say anything, I haven't had an accident in almost 10 years). I find I get better control with one hand as opposed to 2. I also keep it low on the wheel (about 8 o'clock). Is the car going to think I never have my hands on the wheel?
If the lane keeping system does that, I'm definitely not getting it. I drive with 2 hands, 1 hand, or no hands (J/K).

·
Registered
515 Posts
My current Jeep has cruise assist and I'm starting to hate it. Sometimes all these features just get in the way :(
i hear ya... guess we are ok for a couple more years cuz Google is coming out with a Car that Drives itself... serious...

anybody here want this tech in their car? it could be fun...
...but will take away all the pleasure unless your driving long distance and need a hand... lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Most likely the car senses a lack of micro-movements, the subconscious small corrections a driver makes many times a minute."

Page 2 - The almost-self-driving Lincoln won?t let you drive hands-off | ExtremeTech

Could be. Makes sense.

Also:

"Mercedes researchers considered in-cockpit cameras focused on the driver’s eye movements and blinking patterns, then decided there was greater treasure to be mined from the steering inputs alone."

·
Registered
984 Posts
"Most likely the car senses a lack of micro-movements, the subconscious small corrections a driver makes many times a minute."

Page 2 - The almost-self-driving Lincoln won?t let you drive hands-off | ExtremeTech

Could be. Makes sense.

Also:

"Mercedes researchers considered in-cockpit cameras focused on the driver’s eye movements and blinking patterns, then decided there was greater treasure to be mined from the steering inputs alone."
Ahaha that sounds like they got lazy and took the cheap route actually ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts