Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I ended up getting one. Shipping was quick. Everything is working except sound. I lost all sound (radio,bluetooth,aux) after hooking up this unit. ***AUDIO WORKING NOW. SEE POST BELOW***

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If you can speak mandarin chinese. That's the thing with these devices. Wonder why there isn't a U.S. market for these things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to support from Yoshi, the audio is working now. It turns out this head unit is designed for cars without the Harman Kardon audio system. Unlike the stock audio system, the HK system utilizes optical cable for audio. The harness from this head unit is missing the optical cable extension. For audio to work, the optical cable from the original harness had to be detached and plugged directly into the Comand unit.

Back of Comand:
20150624_194838_resized.jpg

Removing optical cable from original harness:
20150624_194955_resized.jpg

Plugging original optical cable into Comand:
20150624_201444_resized.jpg

Android Head unit harness missing optical cable extension:
20150616_184450_resized.jpg 20150616_184501_resized.jpg

Running AUX 20150627_100141_resized.jpg

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Glad you got it working!!! And thanks for posting install pics

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have this unit on order :)

To just add a bit of detail, the HK system uses an external amp and sound source connected by two round fiber cables (MOST IN/MOST out). This is why the pass through harness that was included with this unit doesnt work. The speaker wires are not wired directly to the comand system with HK (NTG 4.5).

Also for those of you that have a 2015 model (NTG 5.0) I would be very cautious about buying any of these units since most of these aftermarket systems so far are designed to work with NTG4.5 or 2014 models and earlier.

Ryan, at Navitech did tell me they are also working on a fully integrated android solution with capacitive touch screen that will be released in Septemeber of this year.

·
Registered
230 Posts

To just add a bit of detail, the HK system uses an external amp and sound source connected by two round fiber cables (MOST IN/MOST out). This is why the pass through harness that was included with this unit doesnt work. The speaker wires are not wired directly to the comand system with HK (NTG 4.5).

Also for those of you that have a 2015 model (NTG 5.0) I would be very cautious about buying any of these units since most of these aftermarket systems so far are designed to work with NTG4.5 or 2014 models and earlier.

Ryan, at Navitech did tell me they are also working on a fully integrated android solution with capacitive touch screen that will be released in Septemeber of this year.
Do you give up Navitech solution?
Please give us a review for this product :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Do you give up Navitech solution?
Please give us a review for this product :)
I had the navitech solution for a few days with the external android box. It's a decent product and IMO navitech offers the easiest upgrade for a larger screen if all you want is a larger display that is plug & play. Since the Navitech unit is currently a resistive touch screen, I found the touch responsiveness to be inadequate for a android solution. They are working on one that is going release in Sept with a Capacitive touch screen. I jumped the gun earlier I actually don't have the roadnav unit on order yet. I'm placing an order for a new car (BMW 4 series gran coupe!!) this weekend so I'll decide if I want to mess with my CLA :p

I have a engineering background and use to mess around quite a bit with car radios/electronics. Always enjoyed playing around with aftermarket electronics which is why I was able to help Johnny out with his sound issue. Glad it's resolved now.

My honest feedback for these type of devices is support is usually very limited and you will be dealing with a huge language barrier. Also if something goes wrong you are most likely on your own. So my word of advice to everyone is proceed with caution.

I just don't understand why a larger more reputable company/distributor in the US doesn't carry or support these type of aftermarket kits. I presume the market just isn't there or else would see them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When you receive it, can you provide detailed install instructions? I'm looking at this rather than the Navitech solution due to recent threads on their slow responses/lack of clarity on mftring issues.

And JohnNYC - would you mind talking more about the install process? Is it relatively seamless - meaning no wires splicing, ripping apart dash, etc? And I see on their page there is a small box beneath the screen - does that house the android unit and is it required to tuck away somewhere in the dash?

Let us know - very eager to order this after reviewing the install procedure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here are some videos of the head unit. The model number is P336. I'll post additional details after the install is complete.

Install guide and available ports can be found here: Download Center_Guangzhou Zhihang Electronics Technology Co.,LTD.

Content of box: DVD player with velcro, analog TV, female USB, reverse camera cable , GPS antenna, pass through harness with RCA audio/video out, 8" display with two microsd ports, English manuals/install guide, 4GB microsd card
20150612_222300_resized.jpg

8" Capacitive Touchscreen Display
20150612_222344_resized.jpg
20150612_224436_resized_1.jpg

Original Comand interface through new display:
20150616_185653_resized - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
When you receive it, can you provide detailed install instructions? I'm looking at this rather than the Navitech solution due to recent threads on their slow responses/lack of clarity on mftring issues.

And JohnNYC - would you mind talking more about the install process? Is it relatively seamless - meaning no wires splicing, ripping apart dash, etc? And I see on their page there is a small box beneath the screen - does that house the android unit and is it required to tuck away somewhere in the dash?

Let us know - very eager to order this after reviewing the install procedure.
I posted a link to the install guide for you. No wire splicing. The android unit is housed in the display.

Positives:
Full android with play store
Wireless mirroring with bi-directional control and audio through MirrorOP app
Integration with Comand system (auto switches to backup cam when reversing, certain areas in android can be controlled with knob, back button works throughout android)
Voice button on steering wheel opens up any desired map app (i.e. Waze, Google Map, etc)

Negatives:
Concern about overheating. Unit can get quite hot. Temp is mid-90s in Southern California.
Unit sometimes does not boot if microSD card is plugged in
Low memory with only 512MB. Lag when opening multiple apps
Highly reflective screen
Brightness on display. No auto adjustment.
USB not working
Bluetooth not working
No mirrorlink app installed
No radio app installed
4GB microSD card instead of 8GB
Interface randomly switches to OEM screen

·
Registered
20 Posts
I posted a link to the install guide for you. No wire splicing. The android unit is housed in the display.

Positives:
Integration with Comand system (auto switches to backup cam when reversing, certain areas in android can be controlled with knob, back button works throughout android)

Negatives:
Concern about overheating. Unit can get quite hot. Temp is mid-90s in Southern California.
Low memory with only 512MB
I have the barebones non command, standard radio unit. But I definitely am interested in getting an aftermarket backup camera perhaps - looks like they support it.

Regarding the low memory, you can 100% format an SD card to act as extra memory for the android device.

With that said, 100% ordering this! But not installing the DVD drive :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
yea i had one of these in my old accord and it ran super hot too. It did eventually die out on me but it was after 4 years of use and I was selling the car anyways.

The low memory johnny was referring to is the 512MB of RAM. Yes, you can format a SD card to act like RAM but that can be unreliable especially on a unknown hardware. I wonder why they stuck with 512. 512 is so pedestrian and not very future proof. I believe the Navitech device will have 2GB of ram but they are not quite ready yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just realized the mounting bracket doesn't fit. All the holes line up. It's just the bottom portion will need to be trimmed off.
20150627_104407_resized.jpg
20150627_105008_resized.jpg

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Johnny. I believe the reason for this is because this unit was designed for the A cand B class which doesn't have the wood trim. Wish they did what Navitech did and just used the OEM bracket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's some post install photos. I made the mistake of trimming off the top and bottom to avoid removing the wood panel since the vents are a pain to remove. My plan was to trim off the bracket to match the original but it was getting too flimsy. What should have been done is first remove the wood panel, trim only the bottom corners, slip the bracket in, then place the wood panel back. If I had the left the top intact, it would have looked pretty good.

20150628_132052_resized.jpg 20150628_132126_resized.jpg 20150628_132252_resized.jpg 20150628_133843_resized.jpg 20150628_133901_resized.jpg

Here is what should be done:
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brief demonstration of wireless Bidirectional Mirroring with Mercedes CLA250, Galaxy S5, Winca-Roadnav Android 4.0 S180 P336, Tasker, MirrorOP. Note there are several long waits and extra inputs as I have yet to optimize Tasker.

Tasker and MirrorOP is installed on both P336 head unit and Galaxy S5. Tasker automates setting adjustments and app launching. MirrorOP set to highest quality and resolution.

At highest quality and resolution, only single touch input is usable. There is too much lag for multi-touch and swiping to function correctly.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Positives:
Voice button on steering wheel opens up any desired map app (i.e. Waze, Google Map, etc)

Negatives:
Low memory with only 512MB. Lag when opening multiple apps
Highly reflective screen
Brightness on display. No auto adjustment.
USB not working
Bluetooth not working
No mirrorlink app installed
No radio app installed
4GB microSD card instead of 8GB
Just a few follow up questions before I decide to make the splurge -

1.Did you lose bluetooth access but gained android mirroring with the new monitor?

2. Did the unit come with a camera or the a/v plugin necessary to add one later?

3. Any idea what the voice-to-speaker button would do if you have a Becker Map Pilot or Sd Card Garmin?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
7 Participants
johnnyc382
Mercedes CLA Forum
We’re a community dedicated to the Mercedes-Benz CLA & CLA45 AMG. We offer CLA pictures, technical discussions, and more from owners across the world.
Full Forum Listing