Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

newby's first post. I have a fabulous 2014 CLA 250 with only 43,000 miles on it. Every single service was done at a dealership. However, the check engine light was on two weeks ago and then I took it to a dealership. They recommended a whole engine replacement and said even if they disassemble the engine, the end result will probably still be an engine replacement.. It's kind hard for me to understand all that. I mean, yes, it's out of warranty by time (not by miles), but I wouldn't think a MB engine could only last for 5 years and 43,000 miles, right? Every time the service technician tells me I'm good to go, so how come suddenly now I need a whole engine replacement that's worth almost the entire value of the car?

So I contacted MB USA and was assigned with an Executive Referral Manager. He contacted the dealer and some "field staff" and negotiated a discount on the engine replacement for me (if I want to take advantage of that discount, I will have to perform the engine replacement at that dealership). Obviously I wasn't satisfied, but he said that's all MB USA could do out of courtesy. It's definitely frustrating for me and I don't really know what else to do. I would appreciate any advice or successful stories on how to deal with issues like this.

I hope no one else will go through this... Thanks for reading!

For those experts out there, they gave me a lot of error codes P219C77 (mixture for cylinder 1 is irrregular), P1CE577 (injector quantity is mixture is excessively lean), P1CE678 (Injection mixture is rich), P13C523 (short-term torque limitation was detected by knock control), P030085 (cylinder misfire detected), P030085 (cylinder 1 misfire deteced).

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Wow what a mess?!

Did they do a compression test?
Check the fuel filter?
Fuel rail pressure?
Check spark plug conditions?
Check head and block for stress cracks?

I know it looks like a christmas tree lit up with all those codes ... but damn an engine swap?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I know right... I still can't believe this is what I'm dealing with right now.. It just went downhill so fast..

Based on the invoice I got, it does seem like they've performed a "dynamic compression test" and said the engine failed test.

Additional notes: "R&R ignition coils and spark plugs, performed mechanical compression, found that cylinders, 1, 2, and 4 were low, cylinder 3 was okay. Found spark plug for cylinder 1 fouled out. Crank engine over to build high pressure fuel. Inspected fuel injector, found injector to be leaking... Replace fuel injector for cylinder 1, resealed fuel rail... Would need to tear down engine confirm root cause of concern."

Wow what a mess?!

Did they do a compression test?
Check the fuel filter?
Fuel rail pressure?
Check spark plug conditions?
Check head and block for stress cracks?

I know it looks like a christmas tree lit up with all those codes ... but damn an engine swap?

·
Registered
314 Posts
yeah I know right... I still can't believe this is what I'm dealing with right now.. It just went downhill so fast..

Based on the invoice I got, it does seem like they've performed a "dynamic compression test" and said the engine failed test.

Additional notes: "R&R ignition coils and spark plugs, performed mechanical compression, found that cylinders, 1, 2, and 4 were low, cylinder 3 was okay. Found spark plug for cylinder 1 fouled out. Crank engine over to build high pressure fuel. Inspected fuel injector, found injector to be leaking... Replace fuel injector for cylinder 1, resealed fuel rail... Would need to tear down engine confirm root cause of concern."
I’ve had a similar experience with a Toyota (except it was 100,000 miles) at a dealership. Sometimes the techs recommend work based on the flat rate billing. If a compression test failed, it’s possible that a valve job would fix the problem. An engine replacement would definitely fix whatever problem you have, but so would possibly a rebuilt head or a valve job.

Engine replacement would be my last resort. I know that it’s risky, but maybe pay for them to tear apart the engine to find out what’s wrong and go from there. The risk is that if they tear it apart and it requires an engine replacement, then you’ll be paying more toward the repair.

You’d think that the time spent tearing apart the engine would go toward the engine replacement time, but flat rate mechanics don’t work that way. They will charge you for the engine replacement as if they started from scratch plus the time it took to tear it apart to diagnose the issue. That’s why I would have taken it to an independent shop who don’t bill this way. On the flip side, and the more likely scenario, is that it’s a simple repair and you’ll just have to pay for the labor to reassemble everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I totally agree with you. And to be fair, the dealership did say that they are helping me to save money. They were saying that if the engine can't be reassembled, I'd spend another extra $4,000 - $5,000 for nothing... But still, I'm annoyed by the fact that my car only has 43,000 miles on it, and there are no warning signs from all past services at all..

I don't really have experience with independent shops. I've asked around for a bit, but it seems like no one is willing to take on this project. I guess I will have to try a bit harder.

I’ve had a similar experience with a Toyota (except it was 100,000 miles) at a dealership. Sometimes the techs recommend work based on the flat rate billing. If a compression test failed, it’s possible that a valve job would fix the problem. An engine replacement would definitely fix whatever problem you have, but so would possibly a rebuilt head or a valve job.

Engine replacement would be my last resort. I know that it’s risky, but maybe pay for them to tear apart the engine to find out what’s wrong and go from there. The risk is that if they tear it apart and it requires an engine replacement, then you’ll be paying more toward the repair.

You’d think that the time spent tearing apart the engine would go toward the engine replacement time, but flat rate mechanics don’t work that way. They will charge you for the engine replacement as if they started from scratch plus the time it took to tear it apart to diagnose the issue. That’s why I would have taken it to an independent shop who don’t bill this way. On the flip side, and the more likely scenario, is that it’s a simple repair and you’ll just have to pay for the labor to reassemble everything.

·
Registered
607 Posts
only 43,000 miles on it. Every single service was done at a dealership.
………...
Nevermore - Something fishy!
1) Order a CARFAX report right now, on line. www,carfax.com
2) Print the report.
3) Compare with the records you have, to the smallest detail.
4) Come back here and tell us all the differences you noted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Geo K, I'm actually the first owner.. I guess I do have to say that the car came with 200 miles on it when I first bought it from the dealership. I didn't really think twice. And there was one misfire (after some rough idle rpm) early last year so at that time it was still within warranty. But again, I didn't really think twice there either...

………...
Nevermore - Something fishy!
1) Order a CARFAX report right now, on line. www,carfax.com
2) Print the report.
3) Compare with the records you have, to the smallest detail.
4) Come back here and tell us all the differences you noted.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just .. got rid of my 2014 CLA250 with 44k miles on it -- well maintained, no damage .. traded it in for $14k. I can't imagine spending $5k on it for a new engine. -- I spent $3k on mine mere months after it was out of warranty and that was the reason I wanted to move away from Mercedes. Simple things cost a shit-ton of money to fix, and I had no idea if in X months something else would break for 4-figures.

The 2014's value is dropping fast at this point. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Fight for a new engine unless MB made you a legitimate offer on replacement. Think about small claims as an option. Perhaps you can embarrass them into a replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh man I wish I'd realize that sooner! Now with this issue, I can probably sell it as...junk car... lol

I just .. got rid of my 2014 CLA250 with 44k miles on it -- well maintained, no damage .. traded it in for $14k. I can't imagine spending $5k on it for a new engine. -- I spent $3k on mine mere months after it was out of warranty and that was the reason I wanted to move away from Mercedes. Simple things cost a shit-ton of money to fix, and I had no idea if in X months something else would break for 4-figures.

The 2014's value is dropping fast at this point. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestion! I have given it some thought, but it's very hard to make the case... MB can simply just say nope, you are out of warranty. What can we, as customers, do? sigh...

Fight for a new engine unless MB made you a legitimate offer on replacement. Think about small claims as an option. Perhaps you can embarrass them into a replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

newby's first post. I have a fabulous 2014 CLA 250 with only 43,000 miles on it. Every single service was done at a dealership. However, the check engine light was on two weeks ago and then I took it to a dealership. They recommended a whole engine replacement and said even if they disassemble the engine, the end result will probably still be an engine replacement.. It's kind hard for me to understand all that. I mean, yes, it's out of warranty by time (not by miles), but I wouldn't think a MB engine could only last for 5 years and 43,000 miles, right? Every time the service technician tells me I'm good to go, so how come suddenly now I need a whole engine replacement that's worth almost the entire value of the car?

So I contacted MB USA and was assigned with an Executive Referral Manager. He contacted the dealer and some "field staff" and negotiated a discount on the engine replacement for me (if I want to take advantage of that discount, I will have to perform the engine replacement at that dealership). Obviously I wasn't satisfied, but he said that's all MB USA could do out of courtesy. It's definitely frustrating for me and I don't really know what else to do. I would appreciate any advice or successful stories on how to deal with issues like this.

I hope no one else will go through this... Thanks for reading!

For those experts out there, they gave me a lot of error codes P219C77 (mixture for cylinder 1 is irrregular), P1CE577 (injector quantity is mixture is excessively lean), P1CE678 (Injection mixture is rich), P13C523 (short-term torque limitation was detected by knock control), P030085 (cylinder misfire detected), P030085 (cylinder 1 misfire deteced).
I have the same issue the only difference is the mileage, mine has 128000 miles, dealership gave me the same song and dance, they will pay only 45% of the price of the engine, the cost $11620, I am not paying for an engine that costs more the the value of my car, blue book price is $5000 to $7000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your comment! I'm in Northern New Jersey so I'm close to a lot of the places in the New York metropolitan area (NYC, Hudson River, Newark, Edison, etc.)
Where are you? Maybe we can recommend local independent mechanics.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
That's horrible. Sorry to hear about your troubles. agree it's crazy a car under 100k miles needs a engine replacement

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my car back from the dealership. It's still drivable at this point, just a little rough... I've asked around but haven't found anything useful in terms of going through the legal channel yet. Too bad I didn't push them harder the first time I asked them to check out the misfire I had before.. I wonder if the dealership just ignores any potential issues as long as, say, engine light is not on? Can they do that?

I would sue them, only problem is it will take time and you need a car to drive.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I wonder if the dealership just ignores any potential issues as long as, say, engine light is not on? Can they do that?
No ... they should have given you a test report which would have had all the error codes, explanations, and recommended fixes (the “initial quick test” report)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts