Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here we go again. Had the same problem with the CLA250 and the front tyres... Just had my first Service A and they find the same dreaded wear happening on the inside track on both front tyres, after 12 months and just under 17,000kms the tread is down to 1mm a good inch or more on the inside track. Rear tyres are perfect, and I know from experience that playing around with camber and toe angles don't do anything other than alter the handling of the vehicle (at least that was my experience with the 250). I've just ordered two new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to replace the front ones. I'm not buying four new tyres every 12 months any more, that is just ridiculous, particularly as the price for the Michelins have gone up around 25% since I last had to buy some for the old car.

·
Super Moderator
613 Posts
I always lower the pressure ,gives the tyre a bit more give, but not so good for handling but I’m not a boy racer any more, plus I switched from run flats which is half the problem with these tyres

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
do you have a lot of twisties?
maybe more often than not a front dive posture?
frequent brake pressure during high g portion of a turn?

cant be just the camber
though toe out is typically the culprit for inner tread issues

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jmc, yes, our neck of the woods is notorious for a multitude of roundabouts, and there are also a few nice twistie roads. I have noticed that I have adopted a much more 'assertive' driving style with the AMG, so there is a bit more use of the brakes, and given the aggresive brake setup on the front wheels, they are in use often. The service advisor simply said, "you just have to accept it in these cars, they are set up for more aggressive driving and that will impact on tyre wear". I may squeeze a few more months out of them if I go back to my full rotation and alignment every 6 months that I was doing at the end of the old 250's life, but as I said in the first post, I don't want to go back to buying a full set of rubber every 12-18 months, so I will just replace the two front tyres now, and hopefully, with a good rotation schedule I can hold off on replacing the other two for another 12+ months.

@ans, never used run flats, never will! I have dropped the fronts to 36 from the first few weeks of having the car, I may need to drop them down even lower perhaps.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
@jmc, yes, our neck of the woods is notorious for a multitude of roundabouts, and there are also a few nice twistie roads. I have noticed that I have adopted a much more 'assertive' driving style with the AMG, so there is a bit more use of the brakes, and given the aggresive brake setup on the front wheels, they are in use often. The service advisor simply said, "you just have to accept it in these cars, they are set up for more aggressive driving and that will impact on tyre wear". I may squeeze a few more months out of them if I go back to my full rotation and alignment every 6 months that I was doing at the end of the old 250's life, but as I said in the first post, I don't want to go back to buying a full set of rubber every 12-18 months, so I will just replace the two front tyres now, and hopefully, with a good rotation schedule I can hold off on replacing the other two for another 12+ months.

@ans, never used run flats, never will! I have dropped the fronts to 36 from the first few weeks of having the car, I may need to drop them down even lower perhaps.
If your suspension is set up properly, plus properly inflated tires, you should not have to deal with uneven wear of the tires. You have a very capable and sporty car, and you can't drive it to how it was meant to be driven, then why bother buying the AMG 45S in the first place? So I would differ with the notion that it's connected with your driving style.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
It's like a Porsche GT3 owner saying that he/she has to drive like a granny around a curvy hwy, because the tires are wearing out unevenly. :oops:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alignment every 6 months seems much doesn't it? When you check your alignment 6 months later does it actually change that much?
Sorry, carried away when writing it, I meant balance and rotation every 6 months, I only align when all four are replaced

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your suspension is set up properly, plus properly inflated tires, you should not have to deal with uneven wear of the tires. You have a very capable and sporty car, and you can't drive it to how it was meant to be driven, then why bother buying the AMG 45S in the first place? So I would differ with the notion that it's connected with your driving style.
I don't believe that I am the culprit either. It just seems odd that in my two CLA's, with different tyre brands, I have had the same irregular wear pattern, so I can't even point to a particular brand of tyre as the source. I can easily afford to replace the tyres whenever necessary, that's not an issue, it is an issue that not all CLA's appear to suffer the same type of wear, and I am simply trying to find a common denominator.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I don't believe that I am the culprit either. It just seems odd that in my two CLA's, with different tyre brands, I have had the same irregular wear pattern, so I can't even point to a particular brand of tyre as the source. I can easily afford to replace the tyres whenever necessary, that's not an issue, it is an issue that not all CLA's appear to suffer the same type of wear, and I am simply trying to find a common denominator.
If your area has a suspension expert shop, I recommend taking it to them to have the suspension checked out for geometry set up. they should have the factory specs for it.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Just to take some of the pressure off OP... if you google inner tire wear for Mercedes... you will see TONS of results of people complaining about excessive inner tire wear on their AMG's. I suffered from it too. Turns out my toe was way out. On my current set of tires I also have wear on the inner edge but it's not as horrific as my original tires.... where the cords were showing on the inner edge while the main tread still had a lot of life left.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
Toe out is the usual culprit but constant nose dive braking will do the same
I am living proof even crummy tires can wear down to minimum evenly on all four corners
But I track my treadwear pressures and suspension geometry like a hawk

·
Registered
GLA45 AMG
11 Posts
and I know from experience that playing around with camber and toe angles don't do anything other than alter the handling of the vehicle
don’t spread bad/false info!!!

messing around with toe angles will directly effect inner tire wear. If you have negative toe(or toed out) it’s going to cause inner tire wear. Get an alignment. If the alignment looks good it’s a bushing issue and you are getting too much toe change under braking and acceleration.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don’t spread bad/false info!!!

messing around with toe angles will directly effect inner tire wear. If you have negative toe(or toed out) it’s going to cause inner tire wear. Get an alignment. If the alignment looks good it’s a bushing issue and you are getting too much toe change under braking and acceleration.
I'm not spreading anything chum, I'm just stating what 'my experience' is. The wear occurs without any alterations from stock set up. Do yourself a favor and do a google search on 'Mercedes Inner Tire Wear' and you will see it is a common problem before stamping your feet here making accusations.

Reactions: Crester

·
Registered
GLA45 AMG
11 Posts
I'm not spreading anything chum, I'm just stating what 'my experience' is. The wear occurs without any alterations from stock set up. Do yourself a favor and do a google search on 'Mercedes Inner Tire Wear' and you will see it is a common problem before stamping your feet here making accusations.
If there’s a common issue with tire wear it’s because of dynamic toe change under braking or acceleration. Which again means it’s an issue with toe. You saying that toe does not impact tire wear is not true. I would get your bushings looked at, especially the front #2 lower control arm bushings. It’s the big one in a bracket. It’s likely either worn or you tend to brake harder and accelerate harder pushing the rubber to it’s limits.

This is a very similar issue with the Lexus platform, on several models, which uses a very similar arm. The bushing gets worn and causes inner tire wear.

Again, an alignment can show good, but it’s the bushing that’s failing when you are driving it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If there’s a common issue with tire wear it’s because of dynamic toe change under braking or acceleration. Which again means it’s an issue with toe. You saying that toe does not impact tire wear is not true. I would get your bushings looked at, especially the front #2 lower control arm bushings. It’s the big one in a bracket. It’s likely either worn or you tend to brake harder and accelerate harder pushing the rubber to it’s limits.

This is a very similar issue with the Lexus platform, on several models, which uses a very similar arm. The bushing gets worn and causes inner tire wear.

Again, an alignment can show good, but it’s the bushing that’s failing when you are driving it.
Yes, I understand all of that, the vehicle is only one year old so if the bushing is worn already there is an issue. I didn't say that "toe does not impact tyre wear", I said "I know from experience that playing around with camber and toe angles don't do anything other than alter the handling of the vehicle (at least that was my experience with the 250)". My tyre retailer adjusted toe angles slightly on my old CLA250 and it only altered the handling, there was no obvious increase or decrease in the rate of the inner track tyre wear. A caveat to this, I only lasted about 3 months with the changes, it altered the feel of the cars responsiveness at the front end too much and I had them set it back to stock settings.

The dealer and a tyre retailer have both checked, aligned, balanced the tyres, all settings are in the stock range, yet here I am purchasing two new front tyres after only 12 months and 17,000kms of driving. I am not disagreeing with you at all, it is simply exasperating when I'm told by the dealers/tyre 'experts' that everything is 'normal' and I just have to live with it, particularly when I know (from this forum) that not every CLA suffers this issue. As Mav pointed out earlier, why buy an AMG if you can't drive it the way it was designed to be driven for fear that you will eat through your front tyres on a regular basis, and I am certainly no Lewis Hamilton, but I do push it when given the opportunity.

Given the alignment and strut/bushing check supposedly revealed nothing, I might take your advice and get a third opinion from another reputable tyre retailer or even a suspension mechanic and see if they can find anything amiss.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
Not necessarily a “worn” bushing
But just pushed beyond its design limit so the front geometry changes such that the toe goes out more often than not leading to inner tread wear
But then the rebound limit could be exceeded and the bushing will be loose
Try (reeeeeally hard) to do grandpaw driving for a coupla weeks and take pix of inner tread depth before and after … same route

1 - 17 of 17 Posts