Mercedes CLA Forum banner

here's a new one: CLA45 classified "Hybrid" by US government!

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jmc 
#1 ·
Based on some classification systems embedded somehow in a vehicle's VIN number, the Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Commission says my 2022 CLA45 is a hybrid vehicle with a secondary electric motor. How bizarre is that?

Worth a chuckle, except that my state (Ohio) charges $100 per year registration fee surcharge for hybrids. Why? That's another whole discussion.

There is a form to protest the Commission rating; I am obviously trying that.

#2 ·
think they call it a mild hybrid
gosh it sounds like a flu virus [emoji39]

just like the charging software to remove alternator parasitics and the glide operation to increase mileage … all these modern tricks is to bypass all the hoohah new car mandates so they can be sold

#3 ·
Apparently we AMG owners are green!!

EQ Boost

#6 ·
So after some research, I can share the following:

Apparently 30 states or so have surcharges to register electrics and hybrids. The "logic" is that these owners use less gas and therefore pay less gasoline taxes which support state roads. To apply this logic to mild hybrids is totally absurd as our gas mileage is not affected.

My state, Ohio, is reconsidering its statute, and had planned to amend it last year. But now there is a new session, and of course no one wants to reduce revenues. The changes would have been $100 for plug-in hybrids; $50 for regular hybrids; and zero for our mild hybrids. Fully electric would still have $200 surcharge. Keep in mind, these are repeating annual amounts, and a basic registration is only like $60. Totally not fair and out of proportion. However the economic impact study calculated that making these changes would reduce revenues by $10 million...money which I am sure has been already spent!

#7 ·
at that iq level many legislative implementations (despite well intentioned) are never thought thru enough

maybe part of their job training should be preemptive chess with a salary hit for not planning out far enough [emoji39]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.