Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first Mercedes CLA 250 a week ago.
I'm used to driving a manual and not sure if I should switich to the M gear shifters on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The shift logic isnt bad on our cars but it in no way compares to a true manual gear box. AMG shift points are a little more crisp but again still leave you wanting more. Side note, If you pull the flap and hold it the car will auto go back to eco mode without having to hit the switch on the dash. IF you double click on the minus it should also hit your passing gear. Its a novelty to enjoy from time to time the way i see it.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
oh … its holding the + paddle to return to eco right?

holding the - one chooses the lowest possible gear on mine … that scares my bank acct cuz a lot of rubber is scrubbed off

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shift logic isnt bad on our cars but it in no way compares to a true manual gear box. AMG shift points are a little more crisp but again still leave you wanting more. Side note, If you pull the flap and hold it the car will auto go back to eco mode without having to hit the switch on the dash. IF you double click on the minus it should also hit your passing gear. Its a novelty to enjoy from time to time the way i see it.
Thank you for the response. I'm thinking that using the paddle shifter will produce better fuel effeciencies. Maybe E does the same, I dont know.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Thank you for the response. I'm thinking that using the paddle shifter will produce better fuel effeciencies. Maybe E does the same, I dont know.
From my long term data sets … E in auto gets best efficiency no doubt there

Between the computer and human timing / jitter /latency during manual dct interaction the mpg drops a bit … seems the control loops in auto have mild overshoot (better efficiency management) compared to those in manual cuz eye-ear-finger execution adds at least 70-90ms latency so thats a 20ms jitter and drives the ecu+tcu nuts (cuz the consistent lut is gone) … if those could talk they would probably tell us to lay off

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have tried to see how using the M mode can help maximize fuel efficiency, which ended up me driving like the typical granny in an old jalopy.

With the DCT in E mode, when the car is reaching 50km/h , i would tap the shift pads until the gear shows "6", then as it accelerates towards 60km/h, watching the Rev counter, the moment it reaches 1500rpm, I tap the Shift pad and force an upshift to "7". Once there the rpm is ~ 1200rpm. I tried to keep the rpm at ~ 1200rpm for city driving, and @ ~ 60-65km/h , as much as possible.

Conclusion: achieve marginal improvement over "E" mode, but ends up driving like an old fogie , in a CLA that has lowered sports suspension and 18" AMG wheels. I always get onlookers glaring at me , like "WTH!" :LOL:

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
my e mode has been trained to do all the sub 1500rpm exercises for me

never use s … it hangs at high rpm and forgets to up shift

dont really need to use m since touching the shifters puts it in m temporarily which is usually all thats needed

even in e just holding the - paddle and a rapid progressive throttle opening towards wot is plenty fast for takeovers or scaring passengers

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
oh … its holding the + paddle to return to eco right?

holding the - one chooses the lowest possible gear on mine … that scares my bank acct cuz a lot of rubber is scrubbed off
I cannot tell if double tapping the + gets to eco mode also. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. But yes by holding the - you get your passing gear.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
I cannot tell if double tapping the + gets to eco mode also. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. But yes by holding the - you get your passing gear.
holding + puts it back into auto by choice instead of waiting for the system to get out of manual

though the manual to auto wait time is not an issue in high gear … its the unnecessary singing in low gear that prompts the + hold

multiple taps upshifts by tap count (but of course governed by gear point and torque/load)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts