Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one of the members who has great experience detailing, or has had great results from a detailer in Northern NJ (recommendations please) direct me?

My MY2015 Night Black CLA received a coating of yellow spray paint. It covers all of the horizontal surfaces, and tapers off as it goes down the vertical body panels.
It apparently was paint that was caught by the wind from someone who was using spray paint on their boat near where my car was parked at the boatyard.
It looks like a light coating of pollen in Spring...
The day prior to the paint getting on the car, I had washed the car, then used Chemical Guys Black Light sealant, and then the V7 Optical Coat. Doesn't seem to make the spray paint slide off...

At first I thought it was just dust from the boatyard. Then a few days later I went to clean the car and discovered there is a problem.

I have tried the Clay Block (clay mounted to a sponge block) and super lube from Chemical Guys. Seems to leave an 'alligator-ing' pattern (light colored wave pattern in the black paint) and scratches in the paint - maybe I used a little too much pressure?
I switched to using the non-abrasive Clay Bar from Meguiars... this didn't leave the 'alligator-ing' but I was still getting light scratches though I used no pressure, just letting the bar glide over the lubricant. The surface feels very smooth and clean., bu there are scratches. Lots of lubricant was used during both attempts.

The paint has now been coating my car for about 3 weeks.

The car happened to be at the Mercedes dealer for the last week. Their body shop looked at it while it was there and said it probably needs to be wet-sanded. The service rep seemed uncomfortable with his own body shop guys, so I am not considering letting them touch the car.

i saw a Chemical Guys video where they used their Butter Wet Wax to remove spray paint, as the oils in the carnuba wax apparently soften and loosen the paint...

I just don't want to keep trying item after item and keep scratching the paint, which seems to be rather delicate. I've only done some small sections and I am hesitant to do any more areas...

Thoughts??? Fantastic (reasonably priced!) detailer close to me?

Many thanks in advance!

Peter

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Try these guys, ammonyc.com

[email protected]
+1 646 374 8371

This guy has a lot of paint correction videos on youtube.

who was your dealer in North Jersey, Benzel Busch?

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
See if gumout attacks the clear coat like try it under the front splitter if not gently rub off atomized yellow spots with gumout sprayed on a microfiber cloth and dont rub just glide ... but again test gumout on a hidden spot first!!!!! The trick is counting on variant surface tension of the atomized yellow spray against the somewhat orange peeled clear coat and hopefully the gentle solvent wipe will perturb and snap them off. And one last time - try gumout on a clean hidden spot first!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
How about finding the perp and have him pay for a professional paint correction or a new paint job? This is not something I would attempt to do myself. I would most likely live with it if I couldn't fix it properly rather than making it worse.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It apparently was paint that was caught by the wind from someone who was using spray paint on their boat near where my car was parked at the boatyard.

Pete, For Starters...
:cus:
Look for the boat with new yellow paint. Talk with the owner.
Also, check with your insurance company and Marina rules on painting.
I think you are looking at a whole new paint job!
As always, come back here and let us know the results.
:mblogoblack:

Reactions: Spartacus

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I cannot stress this enough. Lots of forum thread starters come here asking for help (usually join the same day that they ask the question and have only like 1-2 posts behind their names). Once they get help, they are never heard from again. So in the end it leaves a plethora of questions, but a dearth of answers on this forum. SO please do come back and tell us what happens, good or bad.

Reactions: Clallan and Geo K

·
Registered
328 Posts
I vouch for AMONYC. I watch watch his videos as much as I can. If you must, try to get ahold of him for some tips. I'm sure his YouTube Handel has some overspray fixes on there

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow, that sucks to hear man :(
I hope you figure something out. Good to know people suck at the marina...

·
Registered
304 Posts

Pete, For Starters...
:cus:
Look for the boat with new yellow paint. Talk with the owner.
Also, check with your insurance company and Marina rules on painting.
I think you are looking at a whole new paint job!
Amen, lol.

Sorry to hear this happened...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I had an issue 15 years ago with a fleet of my vehicles and about 15 vehicles received over spray. It would not wash off. I contacted the insurance company and received estimates from body shops. The body shop used a paint thinner type that is made especially for this purpose. I believe the brand name was Ditzler, or something similar. The body shop did a fantastic job on removing all of the paint spots.Good luck

·
Registered
645 Posts
My dealership parked mine under a tree and damaged it with sap. They did not feel comfortable and sent it off to a certified body shop for a wet sand. Came out awesome.

Aside from finding who did it I would talk to a few high end body shops and consider wet sanding.

I was told our cars have a very hard ceramic clear coat and can withstand a wet sand without damaging the surface.

The plus side is they removed the factory orange peel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can use mineral spirits to remove overspray. You need to be careful not to leave it on the paint for too long. Once the overspray is removed, it is a good idea to wash the vehicle with an All purpose chemical to remove more of the spirits. Then I would have someone do the paint correction to the areas that you saw after using an aggressive clay bar. Then have the car protected, since the mineral spirits will pull any protection off of the vehicle. I hope that helps.

HUMP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your inputs!

Sorry for the delay in responding to all of you... I was away for the last few days.

I didn't figure out it was the spray paint from the nearby boat until almost a week after it happened. The boat has since left the area and headed south.
I'm certain it was completely unintentional, as his vehicle was between my car and his boat. I spoke to the yard manager and there is no rule other than common courtesy...

My insurance comprehensive deductible is $500, so a claim may not help me.

Yes - it was Benzel Busch in Englewood.

I am considering all of your suggestions for the next attempt, and will check out ammonyc as well.

I promise to report back and let you know how it turns out, and how the correction was achieved!

Again, thank you!
Peter

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
...I'm certain it was completely unintentional, as his vehicle was between my car and his boat....
My insurance comprehensive deductible is $500, so a claim may not help me....
Peter,
As unintentional, as it May have been, your Forum Brothers and Sisters are holding "The Painter" responsible for All of your costs associated with the Full Restoration of your factory finish.
Many of us are suggesting a Police / Insurance Report(s), as well as a MB Certified Repair solution as being your best options, for your ultimate satisfaction.
The Best Or Nothing! :mblogoblack:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Yes - it was Benzel Busch in Englewood.
I had a HORRIBLE experience with Benzel Busch and collision repair. They tend to sublet their work to a hole in the wall in the Bronx called Quality Auto Body. I highly suggest you find another dealer.

You have MB Manhattan across the bridge. But my personal best experience, where the cars are brought back 100% back to original and the paintwork is non noticeable to be different than original is Rallye Collision in Carle-Place out on the island. I highly suggest them. PM me if you would like the name of my guy, who I trust. He is a no bullshit guy. Doesnt like joking around.

I truly hope you avoid Benzel Busch, for me the experience was horrible for two occasions. The first, I thought maybe I am being picky, but the second time I went, I cannot express the anger. A car that drives lopsided and the passenger door doesnt close (even though the impact was on the driver side) should not be given back to the owner.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Peter,
As unintentional, as it May have been, your Forum Brothers and Sisters are holding "The Painter" responsible for All of your costs associated with the Full Restoration of your factory finish.
Many of us are suggesting a Police / Insurance Report(s), as well as a MB Certified Repair solution as being your best options, for your ultimate satisfaction.
The Best Or Nothing! :mblogoblack:
If it was unintentional then there is no police report. They investigate criminal crimes. So unless there is evidence that they intend to cause property damage they will not take a report.

It is a civil matter to be taken care of in small claims court.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If it was unintentional then there is no police report. They investigate criminal crimes. So unless there is evidence that they intend to cause property damage they will not take a report.

It is a civil matter to be taken care of in small claims court.
It may not be intentional and may not be criminal but most police departments will complete an "Incident Report" to document what happened and to provide documentation for you.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
This guy has the same problem, same car.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts