Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
BTW read somewhere the NanoSkin fine pad (not sponge) and lube is supposedly what the paint pros use to remove overspray

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If it was unintentional then there is no police report. They investigate criminal crimes. So unless there is evidence that they intend to cause property damage they will not take a report.

It is a civil matter to be taken care of in small claims court.
Certainly I'm not going to split hairs with you, a Veteran Status Forum Member, Gerry.
LA police may operate differently than NJ & MD. Here, on the East Coast they take and issue reports, which provide "Third Party" verification of factual damage...accidental or not.
You can call it a "Log Entry" or anything else you wish, but If our purpose here, is to help our fellow Members, then I think it is quite in order to encourage as much 3rd party, damage verification as possible.
So, he should get both a police AND insurance reports...if possible.
:mblogoblack:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Spartacus - thanks for that video... gives me hope, and resolve to try one more time. That's very much what my car looks like, though the car in this video is a little worse than mine, especially his hood.

Yesterday I reached out to Ammonyc and am waiting for a response.

Will keep everyone updated...

Peter

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Spartacus - thanks for that video... gives me hope, and resolve to try one more time. That's very much what my car looks like, though the car in this video is a little worse than mine, especially his hood.

Peter
No prob, Just dont use Benzel Busch, it was a nightmare.

I contacted AMMONYC also, was thinking about correcting my paint, the dealer detailer added swirls in my paint and it holograms now. I havent heard back from him, been a couple of days. I think he may be at SEMA out in Las Vegas. So I wait until next week to hear from him. Let me know if you do, ill do the same.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

Peter
Id also try the particular brand of clay the guy mentioned in the video. He said he tried others and the one he filmed was the only one that worked.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Agreed if it is a crime. What would the crime be??
There are two categories under National Incident Based Reporting System (NIBRS), one is criminal the other is an incident. Both serve to document the date, time, persons involved, all the possible information available. This is done as a convenience to the citizen that needs documentation and so to record and document the information in case something escalates to a criminal incident later. It is just documenting that a person made a report, not necessarily criminal, to the police. Many police departments require an officer to make a report for every radio run, whether it be criminal or just documenting the person requested information. I have made hundreds of requests for NIBRS reports whether criminal offense or just an incident report, under FOIA or appropriate state laws.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Agreed if it is a crime. What would the crime be??
BTW- and I am not familiar with NY or NJ law, but many states have laws such as Criminal Damaging where it is a crime if done knowingly, intentionally, recklessly, or negligently. Imagine someone firing a gun at a paper target 50 yards away and the bullet goes through the target and continues on and hits a car, or God forbid, a person. The shooter says I was only shooting at a paper target and I hit the target. Yes, but the bullet continued on and struck a car, house, etc. You are still responsible and you were probably reckless in your conduct. Same concept here, someone was spray painting their boat and allowed the mist or overspray to go on and damage the property of others. I am sure it was not intentional but it was done with a reckless disregard for the property of others. The first question asked by the prosecutor is what did you do to prevent any overspray from damaging the property of others. Did he erect tarps, seal off the area, etc? Probably not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
07SGT - Thank you for your input and detailed explanation. I will look into this.

Spartacus - i have already ordered the auto magic clay bar that Jeff in the video was using. I also contacted Jeff and he was very quick to respond with additional information on what to try. He may be in my area next week, so if i am not having success, i may be able to enlist him to do the job...

Again, I will post follow-ups to all of this.

Peter

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ok I find it a stretch to compare doing paint work on a boat in the harbor and the wind causing overspray on a vehicle to shooting at a target in an area where shooting is not allowed.

As for criminal mischief would that be a specific intent crime and if so would on of the elements be intentionally ??

All I am saying is that when people are wronged by accidents they all want someone to be punished. Criminal punishment does not always apply. Some things are civil and not criminal. If it is a civil matter there is no multi page police report necessary.

As for sgt's some places write a report for every radio call. It must be a quiet town for that. I could not see or complete 20-30 reports in an 8 hour shift.

All calls, stops and contacts are documented and reported with statistical codes. But most are just a several line entry in a daily activity and call log. Multi page reports are for criminal activity that needs to be investigated and possibly prosecuted.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I wouldn't mess with @Pete

:naughty:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Ok I find it a stretch to compare doing paint work on a boat in the harbor and the wind causing overspray on a vehicle to shooting at a target in an area where shooting is not allowed.

As for criminal mischief would that be a specific intent crime and if so would on of the elements be intentionally ??

All I am saying is that when people are wronged by accidents they all want someone to be punished. Criminal punishment does not always apply. Some things are civil and not criminal. If it is a civil matter there is no multi page police report necessary.

As for sgt's some places write a report for every radio call. It must be a quiet town for that. I could not see or complete 20-30 reports in an 8 hour shift.

All calls, stops and contacts are documented and reported with statistical codes. But most are just a several line entry in a daily activity and call log. Multi page reports are for criminal activity that needs to be investigated and possibly prosecuted.
It actually does fit this situation and is a common charge if things aren't rectified. It is reckless not intentional.

As for the bullet scenario that would be a charge of reckless endangerment.

The amount of pages in a report depends on many factors. A homicide could be a single page if it were simple.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
...I just don't want to keep trying item after item and keep scratching the paint, which seems to be rather delicate. I've only done some small sections and I am hesitant to do any more areas...
Peter, Also suggest that you take 3 or 4 pictures and send them to [email protected] and he will give you an opinion and possibly a quote, so that you can compare to Jeff. They are only about 47 minutes North of you.
:mblogoblack:

Reactions: pa4ul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Again, thank you to everyone for your valuable and enthusiastic input! This forum is terrific and it your passion that makes it so!

At Pete and Geo K - I will also contact Detailers Domain tomorrow (Monday) as they sound excellent (checked out their site and reviews), and are probably the most convenient for me.

Peter

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Again, thank you to everyone for your valuable and enthusiastic input! This forum is terrific and it your passion that makes it so!

At Pete and Geo K - I will also contact Detailers Domain tomorrow (Monday) as they sound excellent (checked out their site and reviews), and are probably the most convenient for me.

Peter
Larry from AMMONYC got back to me yesterday, I hope did for you. Judging buy his line of products, he may be a bit pricey, but doesnt hurt to find out.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

Peter
They have a forum too! Might be worth it to join and ask. I know Phil lurks on their and will answer questions directly. Before I found that site I never knew how much went into cleaning a car. There is a plethora of info.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts