Mercedes CLA Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ok I give up. You can articulate anything into a report. Have at it guys!!

Main thing here is that the OP is compensated for his damage. That is civil.

If you want to arrest the guy and charge and prosecute him for painting something On his boat in a boat yard then go for it.

Next you will be charging for windshield wiper fluid sprayed from the car in front removing the wax from someone's car behind them.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

If you want to arrest the guy and charge and prosecute him for painting something On his boat in a boat yard then go for it.

Next you will be charging for windshield wiper fluid sprayed from the car in front removing the wax from someone's car behind them.
As stated under NIBRS a report can be to report a criminal issue or civil or almost anything a citizen requests documentation. An incident report is for almost any incident that is not criminal, sort of a catch-all category, but one where a citizen requests documentation.

And as far as suing someone for overspray from windshield washers, I am sure there is a lawyer somewhere, probably wearing gym shoes, so as to chase ambulances, that will take the case for a sizable retainer....................plus expenses.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Small Claims would probably do the trick. Just have documentation, paid bill, the responsible party, pictures and paper trail.
Easy-Peasy.

Poor OP, just wanted to know how to remove the overspray. But I do understand, someone should be held responsible if it wasnt your own fault or negligence. But unless there is video footage. it's difficult to prove now.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
645 Posts
As stated under NIBRS a report can be to report a criminal issue or civil or almost anything a citizen requests documentation. An incident report is for almost any incident that is not criminal, sort of a catch-all category, but one where a citizen requests documentation.

And as far as suing someone for overspray from windshield washers, I am sure there is a lawyer somewhere, probably wearing gym shoes, so as to chase ambulances, that will take the case for a sizable retainer....................plus expenses.
Yep. All calls are logged and cleared with stat codes which are reported. Although not an actual "report" they are reported and also available to the "victim" if necessary. Although they are just a couple of lines of contact and brief description of the incident.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yep. All calls are logged and cleared with stat codes which are reported. Although not an actual "report" they are reported and also available to the "victim" if necessary. Although they are just a couple of lines of contact and brief description of the incident.
stat codes are usually something like report taken, complainant advised, S.O.W (Sent on Way), etc. It is not a report. The NIBRS Incident report is about 3-4 pages long and will include all the information and have an assigned Incident Report number for tracking. NIBRS is what the FBI and the DOJ recommend that Police Departments use to track and submit information to the DOJ on an annual basis. About 35% of police departments in the US use NIBRS, the rest use UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting). The DOJ has been encouraging all departments to switch to NIBRS and has in the past restricted grants to only those departments that use NIBRS. An incident report is far more than a line on a log sheet. A log sheet detail is usually only one line, showing date, time dispatched, time arrived on scene, time back in service, address, complainant;s name and disposition. Again, I have made hundreds of requests for log sheets, offense reports, or incident reports through either FOIA, subpoena, or discovery.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

Gerry,
Actually, any experienced lawyer would agree with Comments #6 and #15, but you had a valid concern and we all (10,000 members), benefited from your particular slant and especially the resulting discussion.
The main concern was to steer the OP quickly, in a direction giving him the most protection. The comments of 07SGT , Spartacus , pa4ul , Pete , HUMP DIESEL and ZeeCLA were clear and instructive to all of us.
So Never, Never Give Up, when there is Value Given. Thanks!
:mblogoblack:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here's the follow-up as promised -

Again, thank you to everyone for your interest and inputs! The positive conclusion would not have occurred without your generous support!

After attempts with various remedies, testing small spots to avoid aggravating the situation further the winning solution was:
Goof Off Professional

The solution was arrived at by contacting Jeff of National Overspray Removal Service in Texas, who is the gentleman in the video shared by Spartacus (thank you again, Spartacus!!). Jeff was more than generous with his time and advice, responding to my emails very quickly and providing excellent guidance. As Jeff normally doesn't use chemicals on car surfaces for paint removal, this was somewhat of a last-ditch suggestion for something he has used only 3 times in 24 years.

I purchased a gallon of Goof Off Pro so I wouldn't be tempted to use too little in an attempt to make a smaller can work the entire car. First, I washed a panel with Chemical Guys Waterless Car Wash and dried it. The real trick with the Goof Off Pro is to let the chemical do the work. I wet a clean microfiber towel (folded into fourths) and them placed the towel on the surface of the car, and with very little pressure moved the towel in short, straight-line strokes. Flipping the towel often and keeping it wet with Goof Off Pro allowed the chemical to loosen the grip of the spray paint and wipe it away without grinding it into the finish. It was slow going, taking about 5 hours (remember, every panel of the car had spray paint on it). Probably the hardest part was not rushing once I saw this was actually working).

The following day sealed the car with two coats of Chemical Guys Black Light, and followed that with a coat of Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. The car looks as good, if not better than the day I picked her up!

Here are some before and after photos... and yes, my car has a view of the World Trade Center tower and lower Manhattan (reflected in the after photos of the trunk lid and rear roof).

Thank you all again!
Peter
20151109_125628.jpg 20151109_125853.jpg 20151111_110308.jpg 20151111_125931.jpg 20151111_100635.jpg 20151113_152204.jpg 20151113_152221.jpg 20151113_152242.jpg 20151113_152432.jpg 20151113_165720.jpg

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
... The car looks as good, if not better than the day I picked her up!...
Peter,
Great discussion AND pics with fantastic results. Thanks for sharing and Congratulations!
:mblogoblack:

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Peter glad you sorted this out will try goofy next time instead of gumout ?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My MY2015 Night Black CLA received a coating of yellow spray paint. spray paint,
Peter,
5 years later - Did you ever locate the painter, who cruised South...and how has your original finish held up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Peter,
5 years later - Did you ever locate the painter, who cruised South...and how has your original finish held up?
Hi Geo!
Yes, I eventually received a response from the boat owner - he was long gone at that point. He tried to empathize with me by saying he "too was out of work" - however I did point out to him that his 'out of work' was by choice and designed to take advantage of whatever his current financial state was, whereas my 'out of work' was unexpected and a possible looming financial disaster. However - none of this really mattered. He did offer to send me something (no idea what... a macaroni bracelet? A scarf woven by his wife? His grandchild (who I guess was about 7 or 8 years old)?? - who by the way, I came to the conclusion, that the kid caused the mess - that he was probably playing with tools in the boat owner's truck bed, found the spray paint and sprayed it into the air in the direction of my car not understanding what he was doing other than having fun spraying the paint, and the paint settled all over my car). I told the boat owner I didn't want anything from him at that point and terminated the communication.

The original finish looked (immediately after), and still looks fine, I am very happy to report. There was a small section that looked to have an 'alligator' finish (I don't know how else to describe it) on the right rear quarter panel. Probably from me rubbing too hard at the beginning of the process, but eventually (after a couple of years?) it seemed to settle down and looks no different from the rest of the car now.
There are some very faint scratches in the surface all over the car - possibly from the removal of the spray paint, possibly from my cleaning (improperly?) the car in subsequent years... however they do vanish when I take the time to properly clean and 'wax' the car. This coming Spring I may take the car to be professionally detailed to have these barely visible scratches buffed out once and for all.

I also would like to add that Larry Kosila from AmmoNYC did return my call (took a while as he had been out of town when I left a message for him), was very supportive, friendly and gave some suggestions.

Thanks for following up!!

Stay safe.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts