Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been lurking around this forum for while, this is my first post. I had very high expectation of the CLA 250, all the pics and you tube videos made me to want to buy this car, but after I drove it, I was really disappointed. I’m European, I owned several German cars in the past, but this one just didn’t do it for me.

I test drove the CLA yesterday, and I have to say it was a HUGE disappointment. I’m 6’1 and this car felt incredibly small and uncomfortable. Even the sales guy wasn’t very enthusiastic about this car. The visibility was very bad; the central display was not very appealing, not to mention all the other plastic in the cabin. The rear space is tight even for a kid. I understand that this is 30k baby Benz, but there are better options out there.

I will probably buy BMW 320i; I can get it for around 32k, it has much more space and it is also fun to drive. I would also suggest that you test drive VW GTI; this car is extremely comfortable and very well refined; there is a new model coming out in few months. Good luck!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hello,

I have been lurking around this forum for while, this is my first post. I had very high expectation of the CLA 250, all the pics and you tube videos made me to want to buy this car, but after I drove it, I was really disappointed. I’m European, I owned several German cars in the past, but this one just didn’t do it for me.

I test drove the CLA yesterday, and I have to say it was a HUGE disappointment. I’m 6’1 and this car felt incredibly small and uncomfortable. Even the sales guy wasn’t very enthusiastic about this car. The visibility was very bad; the central display was not very appealing, not to mention all the other plastic in the cabin. The rear space is tight even for a kid. I understand that this is 30k baby Benz, but there are better options out there.

I will probably buy BMW 320i; I can get it for around 32k, it has much more space and it is also fun to drive. I would also suggest that you test drive VW GTI; this car is extremely comfortable and very well refined; there is a new model coming out in few months. Good luck!
For the record, The sales guys/girls are not happy because their commission is not as high and he does not sound like a very good sales person.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO, he was really honest...He didnt like the car and neither did I. Let's hope the new redesigned C class will be better.

I would buy had powered B class if it was available here; I drove in in Europe and it was fun!

·
Registered
312 Posts
My local dealer can't keep enough of these in stock. Stopped by today and all but one had a SOLD sign on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer had five in stock, I really liked the blue one....There were many very young customers test-driving this model, so I'm sure they not hard to sell..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Personal preferences. My initial impression of the cla was I like it. I have also driven the 320i. I did not like it. I did like the bmw128, but not the 320 at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I stopped by the dealership and thought the interior looked cheap as well as the front grille plastics. Didn't test drive as they were too busy.

I did test drive a Honda Accord V6 touring yesterday and was pretty impressed with the smoothness and acceleration of the engine. The car also looks fantastic. The only negative was that the stereo sounded like crap.

My 335i lease ends next September so looking for a replacement. May opt for either the accord or a CPO E350.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 2012 Accord LX-P, very happy with it, great space but it is kind of boring. I'm sure the 6 cyl. is much more fun. I think I will go back to BMW 320. This car is very appealing at the 30k price point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personal preferences. My initial impression of the cla was I like it. I have also driven the 320i. I did not like it. I did like the bmw128, but not the 320 at all.
Seems like you really like small cars; I guess the CLA would be a nice fit for you. I'm 6'1, 190 lbs and I was not comfortable in this car...the visibility was subpar as well. With this being said, I love how the car looks on the outside..I wish it was a bit bigger..Oh well...

·
Registered
182 Posts
The normal grill is average. The sports grill is down right nuts. It is the furthest thing from cheap and arguably the best grill by MB .

·
Registered
312 Posts
The normal grill is average. The sports grill is down right nuts. It is the furthest thing from cheap and arguably the best grill by MB .
My sales rep indicated the Sports grill will be available as a stand alone dealer installed option by sometime next Spring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 6'3 and I fit into the car perfectly but the person behind me in the backseat would have trouble sitting there lol
I also FIT in to this car; but I drive long distance often, and I did not find this car comfy at all. The visibility was horrible. But you have to buy what you feel comfortabe with. I posted this thread because I went to buy this car Saturday, but after the test drive I was really, really disapointed...All the wait since superball for nothing....But as I stated before, this car looks great on the pictures!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My sales rep indicated the Sports grill will be available as a stand alone dealer installed option by sometime next Spring.
I think you should be able to order it from the parts dept. as a part replacement. I don't think you need to wait until spring next year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello,

I have to agree that the part I liked the least about this car was the lack of room inside, I am 6' 2" , 210 Lbs and I thought I barely fit comfortably, not sure how good would it be on a long trip, but for normal commuting inside the city, for me, it is good enough.

Good luck on your hunting for your car. Sounds that you really know what you want. What I found a bit of irony is that coming from Europe you find this car small, I have spent a lot of time there for business, and this car definitely wouldn't be considered small over there, in fact, would be on the large category.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I found a bit of irony is that coming from Europe you find this car small, I have spent a lot of time there for business, and this car definitely wouldn't be considered small over there, in fact, would be on the large category.
Excellent point, but I forgot to mention that I have been living in US for 17 years :)...I got used to bigger cars, I dont even remember the small ones :)

I drive 2012 Accord right now...its big but boring...:-(

Anyway, I believe that VW Golf is the most popular car in Europe right now (and ever), and that car fits me well and drives great, especially the GTI model.
It is not a big car by any means, but really, really comfortable one.

I'm going to see the 320i again, I think if I can do the software upgrade and increase HP to 240 it would be the best deal for the money..BTW, I sold my 2005 325i because there wasn't enough room in the back, so I'm glad the new ones are bigger. I guess the space + performance is the #1 priority for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts