Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not like that 5 '8 screen. Brrrr... :question:
Does anyone know if that can be replaced by the 7 "screen without buying the expensive command on line?

·
Registered
896 Posts
pretty much the only reason i am WASTING $2,370 is for the 7 inch cuz i know i will regret getting the 5.8" !

that is truly the only reason i am getting the multimedia package

i could care less about the other stuff

if i thought there was going to be an easy way to mod it i wouldnt get it, but its placement on the dash makes me feel like anything custom wouldnt look right and nothign aftermarket will be as sleek

i really dont want MM package but merc is forcing me to get it cuz im afraid the 5.8" will look too small in that bezel

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I see it similarly...although I do want the NAV and like the idea of the 6 disc changer (which in and of itself is kind of a dated idea -- in a few years it will look like a cassette player) so I'd be getting the MM package regardless...even though some of the package is of no use or interest to me and, in truth, I'd be fine without the CD/DVD changer, too. Nevertless, what I dislike about the 5.8" screen (at least from what I've seen in the pictures) is that its bezel appears to be the same size as the one made for the 7" screen. The 5.8" screen gets a chunky plastic border rather than a thin border like on the 7" because it appears that MB kept the overall bezel size the same (or close to it).

-Eric

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do you guys have any pictures of the 5.8" screen in reference to something like a pop can for size comparison?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am also in the same boat. There are 2 reasons why I get the MM package. #1, hate the thick bezel for the 5.8" screen. #2, being able to display Chinese song names on the screen because of COMMAND. Audio-20 will not display Chinese text. This is not the best way to spend $2370 but if you don't you will get annoyed every time you are in it.

I care less about Navi, backup camera, etc.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I don't believe that is correct. On the MBUSA site (CLA-Class 4-Door Coupe: Turbocharged Sports Car | Mercedes-Benz) it says, "From the standard Bluetooth audio wireless streaming to the available COMAND navigation..."

The information on the site suggests that the 5.8" display is just for radio and other data to be displayed...at least in the US...unless there is a separate stand alone option for NAV.

-Eric

·
Registered
896 Posts
yeha i thought i watched an mbrace 2 video and it had navigation tho...

mmm

ill search on youtube maybe im wrong tho

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
mbrace2 allows you to connect to Google maps, etc. so maybe that's what you saw.

In some ways, this may even be better than COMAND because any hardware in a car (like NAV) becomes dated over the car's life; whereas a iPhone/Android integration will allow owners to take advantage of improvements in mobile apps and devices including iOS and Android navigation tools.

-Eric

·
Registered
896 Posts
yes but with that being said, i thougth i read something about the cla and it having 3g so that merc could update the computer and software OTA behind the scenes

--

Remote Vehicle Diagnostics
Beyond allowing you to perform a check of your vehicle's main systems remotely, mbrace2 can automatically alert you to potential issues before they become full-fledged problems. In addition, it enables your vehicle to receive software updates wirelessly through the mbrace2 network. (Disclaimer)

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/mbrace/remote_access

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
pretty much the only reason i am WASTING $2,370 is for the 7 inch cuz i know i will regret getting the 5.8" !

that is truly the only reason i am getting the multimedia package

i could care less about the other stuff

if i thought there was going to be an easy way to mod it i wouldnt get it, but its placement on the dash makes me feel like anything custom wouldnt look right and nothign aftermarket will be as sleek

i really dont want MM package but merc is forcing me to get it cuz im afraid the 5.8" will look too small in that bezel
It's a $2370 + $2200 = $4570 option as Premium 1 package is mandatory if you want the Multi-Media package.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, only replacing the small screen is not possible?
Sad... Very sad... :sad:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Geee come on, the screen is the same size, the only thing is that the non multi package the screen has black borders on left n right that you cannot notice at all. So once again the whole screen is the same size as the multi. I did not buy the multi because I think its to expensive. But dont forget that with multi you have voice control over the cd, radio etc. Without it you only have for the navi. That is how it looks here in Europe tho...

·
Registered
488 Posts
The screen is NOT the same size, it is the housing that is the same size.
Standard you will have a 5,8" screen in the housing and a big plastic border around it.
With the media package you get a 7" screen in the same housing, and the border is reduced to only about a inch thick all around.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like i stated in the Dutch/Belgium forum, there is a aftermarket 7" screen which fits for the Audio 20.

You can also just order the 7" screen for about €550,- euro's here in The Netherlands (US maybe different price). So there are solutions. I'm still thinking about it.

I'm even looking into a feature we I can use a tablet instead of the screen. According to what I've heard it just takes RGB input, so if I find a tablet which haves input I'll probably go that way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The screen is NOT the same size, it is the housing that is the same size.
Standard you will have a 5,8" screen in the housing and a big plastic border around it.
With the media package you get a 7" screen in the same housing, and the border is reduced to only about a inch thick all around.
Yes sorry, i ment the housing is the same, but to be true Ive seen the larger screen and the smaller, almost no difference, its not worth the money if you just looking for a larger screen.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts