Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered my 2014 cla at local dealer, I got Premium 1, Sport and

Multimedia packages. But I have 1 thing that I couldn't decide yet, it's the

Panorama Roof, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depends on what you like.

I personally have never had a sunroof in my car, and it never bothered me so I opted out to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It's def a personal preference. Initially when I placed my order it there were rumors that there were shortages for the pano roof that would delay production. This compelled me not to get the pano roof.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sun roofs take up headroom. Since almost no one in the US has actually had a good look at the car, it is possible that Merc hasn't moved the interior ceiling up to take advantage of the space, but I doubt it. That said, I thought that all US cars included sun roof, just not the "Panorama" style.

Reactions: baadmon

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a sunroof in my volvo s40. I used it a good bit in NY. Occasionally on not rainy not too cold days in AK.
Here in southern Alabama... I hardly ever use it. Maybe in February a day or two. So if I go with the cla, there will be no sunroof. I'd rather not fry.

Looking at other cars, with some of the stuff I'd like the sunroof comes with it. I don't really want a sunroof.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sun roofs take up headroom. Since almost no one in the US has actually had a good look at the car, it is possible that Merc hasn't moved the interior ceiling up to take advantage of the space, but I doubt it. That said, I thought that all US cars included sun roof, just not the "Panorama" style.
1. It's either the optional panoramic roof or NO sunroof. That has been stated many times.
2. Personal taste dictates whether you want to add the panoramic roof unless you live in California in which case you should have it. Plus it helps alleviate the claustrophobic feel of the back seat.
3. Interestingly, the spec sheet someone posted here shows the pano roof actually adds a quarter inch to head room for the front seat passenger and driver. It opens outwards so it shouldn't encroach on the inside headroom anyway.
4. Why do people think the pano roof cooks the interior ? It does not. It is heavily tinted and the shade does a very effective job blocking the heat. I live in very hot weather and daily 100+ creates no added problem to my car interior with a even larger panoramic roof. Besides, what is air conditioning for ? :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,
I currently have a BMW and use the sunroof most every day - I love it!! not just for the hottest of days but when in towns to look at the buildings (sad but true)
it's great for space and light in the cabin and - of course it even pops up and let's in fresh air!!

I have a CLA AMG on order and have ordered the pano roof - i have sat in both and yes!! the car with the roof has more headroom and no!! there's no way
it has been designed to allow even more heat into the cab!!

hope this helps!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
3. Interestingly, the spec sheet someone posted here shows the pano roof actually adds a quarter inch to head room for the front seat passenger and driver. It opens outwards so it shouldn't encroach on the inside headroom anyway.
I'm quite tall (6"6) and have sat in two CLA's, one with and one without the pano roof over at Mercedes Benz' HQ, here in Brussels. FWIW: I dont know 100% sure whether or not it was the pano roof or perhaps different seats, but I do know that my head scraped the pano roof and did not do that in the version without. With that in mind, I figured that the pano roof does indeed take up some space (although the local sales guy did indeed deny that) and I went for the version without.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sun roofs to me add a lot to a car. It's really odd to me a Mercedes even comes without one. It's similar to the P1 package. Without it the car doesn't feel as a MB should.

That's my two cents.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sun roof is definitely an individual choice.

I'm not getting it but if you will use it regularly go for it.

My wife has a sunroof in her Lexus and NEVER opens it - for her it was an unnecessary cost.

·
Registered
97 Posts
if i know i won't be using the sunroof that often or in fact never use it.

but i just like the look of it. should i still get it? lol

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
if i know i won't be using the sunroof that often or in fact never use it.

but i just like the look of it. should i still get it? lol
Every car I had the past 20 years had a sunroof except the M3. When I lived in San Francisco, the roof was left open all the time.
Then when I moved out into the "hot" zone, the roof stays closed ALL THE TIME because it is too hot to have it open in the summer and too cold and damp to have it open
in the winter. The glass roof, however, is so so nice even closed because it lets light into the cabin. There is a noticeable difference in the feel of the car with a moon roof. In California, you will
find it difficult to sell a BMW or Mercedes without a moonroof. I said it before, the dealership here will not let you order a CLA without the pano roof. If you change your mind,
they are stuck with a car they can't sell. Would you folks believe me if I told you I have not seen rain since late January. It has been clear, cloudless blue sky for seven month straight. :) :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
haha yea, i guess in California, i have no choice.

and by the way outsider, i am sure that i want the CLA now. should i goto the dealers and place order now?

or should i wait till it's released and see what the dealers have in stock?

i am still confused haha..

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
haha yea, i guess in California, i have no choice.

and by the way outsider, i am sure that i want the CLA now. should i goto the dealers and place order now?

or should i wait till it's released and see what the dealers have in stock?

i am still confused haha..
Just wait three more weeks and you can buy one right off the showroom. There will be some cars reserved ( ordered) but I am sure there will be free cars you can just purchase.
If you order, you have to wait till November or December. Do that only if you can't find what you want.
You can't negotiate well on an order because the dealer knows that's not firm. When you have a car in front of you and you are making an offer on it, that's a different story.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Who would have guessed that the sunroof topic would have gotten such a response? Interestingly enough, my M3 is, also, the only car I have had in years w/o one. Since many M3 owners track their cars, the "ceiling" was raised to roof height when the sunroof was not installed. That left a lot of extra room for a crash helmet; it also reduced high weight somewhat. It seems to me that 'luxo' carmakers think that the cars are not 'luxo' enough with out them.
I think they are ugly, and break up the lines of the car. Even though I live in California, I haven't grown eyes on the top of my head, so I can't look out of the sunroof.
Happily, now that I know that it has been well documented that no 'pano' sunroof means no sunroof, my xxx4 will have a 'clean' roof line.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Who would have guessed that the sunroof topic would have gotten such a response? Interestingly enough, my M3 is, also, the only car I have had in years w/o one. Since many M3 owners track their cars, the "ceiling" was raised to roof height when the sunroof was not installed. That left a lot of extra room for a crash helmet; it also reduced high weight somewhat. It seems to me that 'luxo' carmakers think that the cars are not 'luxo' enough with out them.
I think they are ugly, and break up the lines of the car. Even though I live in California, I haven't grown eyes on the top of my head, so I can't look out of the sunroof.
Happily, now that I know that it has been well documented that no 'pano' sunroof means no sunroof, my xxx4 will have a 'clean' roof line.
On a white or silver car, the heavily tinted panoramic roof will give the car a two tone look whether you like it or not while it won't affect a dark color cars the same way.
Notice the official MB CLA45 white car doesn't have a roof. I have it on my order. But it is a personal thing. May compliment the night styling package with the blacked out trims.

·
Registered
495 Posts
On a white or silver car, the heavily tinted panoramic roof will give the car a two tone look whether you like it or not while it won't affect a dark color cars the same way.
Notice the official MB CLA45 white car doesn't have a roof. I have it on my order. But it is a personal thing. May compliment the night styling package with the blacked out trims.
So harsh!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts