Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a devout Infiniti fan for 9 years now. I have leased 3 separate G35/G37 sedans and I bought the JX35 for my wife. My current G37 lease ends next May(2014). However, Infiniti has changed the G to a Q and upped the price significantly.

I am looking at $50K for a new Infiniti Q sedan the way I want it. I am 6’4” tall and my wife is only 5’2” so I absolutely need memory seats. For the Q that means I have to add their most expensive technology package to get the memory seats.

I have been looking at everything from the Kia Optima to a used G25 to keep the price around $30K. Then I saw the CLA250 in Motor Trend and decided to give it a look.

It honestly sounds too good to be true. I priced it out and it looks like I can get exactly what I want for about $36K(Sport, Premium). That is the same price as the first 2005 G35 that I leased.

I have a 10 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. However, both of them are on the short side right now so I think they would have no problem sitting in the back seat. How is the driver’s seat leg room? I have unusually long legs(36” inseam). Do you think that I will have any trouble fitting in it?

I want to lease it again because I simply like to get the latest and greatest every 3 years. I have leased before and know exactly how all the numbers work. However, I am more familiar with the current rates for Infiniti’s residuals and money factors. How are the MB lease numbers?

I only drive about 11,000 miles a year so 12K will work perfectly for me.

I know that the G37 I have right now has significantly more power than the CLA will have. However, you really can’t put that power down in the G once the tires are a little worn. With rear wheel drive and so much power the traction control pretty much always engages if you get into it. I think that the power in the CLA is more than adequate.

One thing I am really disappointed with in the G is the gas mileage. I have a short drive but it is in stop and go traffic. I routinely see less than 18 mpg. I am not looking for 50 mpg or anything like that but I really would like to not get 18 mpg anymore.

Sorry for the long post but I felt like it might be good to see the perspective of someone who is switching from another brand. I have really enjoyed my Gs so far but Infiniti has just priced their cars out of my budget now.

Look out MB. Here I come.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you are taller then 185cm I would not go for the CLA, Im 183cm and I feel sometime that Im sitting a bit to high, but I have the seat at the lowest position possible.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are taller then 185cm I would not go for the CLA, Im 183cm and I feel sometime that Im sitting a bit to high, but I have the seat at the lowest position possible.
I have an extremely unusual body type. My torso is abnormally short and my legs are extremely long. Head room is not a factor for me. I have never had an issue with head room even with the smallest cars.
Leg room definitely is though. Is the leg room and issue in the CLA.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was playing with the seat adjustment in a CLA250 earlier this week. With the driver seat adjusted for my preferred position (6'0" tall) there was approx. 4 inches of clearance between the back side of the driver seat and the front edge of the rear seat. With the driver seat pushed all the way back it would be very comfortable for a 6'4" driver but there was only 2 inches between the seats. If you're ok driving with some bend in your legs then you may be ok but it you must have the seat all the way back then there is no way that anybody will be sitting behind the driver. The CLA body style may have 4 doors but it really is Coupe design. Also the short wheel base of the CLA does not lend itself well for rear seat passengers. As your children grow, they are going to be less and less happy in the penalty zone (aka back seat) of a CLA.

In this case, I would have to recommend that you keep shopping. You might want to consider the MB C class. Even though the current body style C class has been around for a few years, it does offer a little more interior space in the back seat. The BMW 3 should also be a very strong contender.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In this case, I would have to recommend that you keep shopping. You might want to consider the MB C class. Even though the current body style C class has been around for a few years, it does offer a little more interior space in the back seat. The BMW 3 should also be a very strong contender.
That is great information. We rarely ride with all 4 members of our family in our sedan. My son is already old enough to sit in the front seat and my daughter will be able to sit there by the time my current lease ends.

My son usually sits in the front seat and we just pull it forward a bit so my daughter has plenty of room behind him.

Honestly I only need 3 seats in the car. When we go somewhere with all 4 of us we just take the JX which comfortably seats 7. In a lot of cases we actually put 6 in that car with the kids and the grandparents.

To be honest my G37 doesn’t allow someone to sit behind me when I drive it and that car has a huge backseat.

I love the idea of a coupe with 4 doors. I just need enough room to get 1 child back there but I really need the extra doors so that I can easily put stuff in the back seat. I often travel with a lot of photography equipment so I need some space in the back to put it in.

How wide(Door to Door) is it in the back seat? I often put a large telescope and mount in the back seat of my G37. It fits with an inch or two of space in the G37. I am guessing that it probably won’t fit in the CLA?

So far the only cars I like that I have found with memory seats for under $40K are the CLA and the KIA Optima. I checked the Infiniti Q50, Audi A4, and Lexus IS250 and you have to buy very expensive packages just to get the memory seats.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I don't think the size of the CLA's back seat or even legroom is the issue with the CLA. It's the limited headroom back there resulting from the sloping roof design. Even the most glowing reports on the CLA all say that rear headroom is significantly limited if not non-existent for a passenger 5'11" or taller.

-Eric

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know that with the G37 there is no 60/40 split-folding seats. The CLA has this as standard, so there shouldn't be any problem fitting your photography equipment in the back with the seats folded down.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that with the G37 there is no 60/40 split-folding seats. The CLA has this as standard, so there shouldn't be any problem fitting your photography equipment in the back with the seats folded down.
That is correct and that is great to hear.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the size of the CLA's back seat or even legroom is the issue with the CLA. It's the limited headroom back there resulting from the sloping roof design. Even the most glowing reports on the CLA all say that rear headroom is significantly limited if not non-existent for a passenger 5'11" or taller.

-Eric
Luckily the only passengers I would need to put back there are my kids. Neither of them are over 4'6". It almost sounds like the perfect design for my needs. I would lease the car for 3 years and get something else when the kids outgrow it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Honestly I only need 3 seats in the car. When we go somewhere with all 4 of us we just take the JX which comfortably seats 7. In a lot of cases we actually put 6 in that car with the kids and the grandparents.

I love the idea of a coupe with 4 doors. I just need enough room to get 1 child back there but I really need the extra doors so that I can easily put stuff in the back seat. I often travel with a lot of photography equipment so I need some space in the back to put it in.

How wide(Door to Door) is it in the back seat? I often put a large telescope and mount in the back seat of my G37. It fits with an inch or two of space in the G37. I am guessing that it probably won’t fit in the CLA?

So far the only cars I like that I have found with memory seats for under $40K are the CLA and the KIA Optima. I checked the Infiniti Q50, Audi A4, and Lexus IS250 and you have to buy very expensive packages just to get the memory seats.
Based upon your use case, there should be plenty of room in the CLA for 3 adults as long as the front seat passenger can keep their seat at a medium depth.

I can't really give an exact depth but I can tell you that the rear door is somewhat short in length and low in height. Remember my comment about this being a short wheelbase car. Also, the Coupe roof design is going to come into play. The roof slopes down dramatically over the rear door so rear seat passengers (and cargo) have a limited opening size to negotiate. CLA's will begin hitting the MB lots within just a few short weeks so you should be able to so some personal testing within about a month.

You can expand your horizons quite a bit further to find reasonably priced cars with seat memory. For example, the Ford Fusion has very handsome fresh styling and is an incredible value. The Titanium trim level is very luxurious, has 3 seat memory settings and has several luxury features not even available on the CLA. It's sister model, the Lincoln MKZ is also worthy of a look. The MKZ has dramatic new styling with the 4 door Coupe look that has caught your eye.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based upon your use case, there should be plenty of room in the CLA for 3 adults as long as the front seat passenger can keep their seat at a medium depth.

I can't really give an exact depth but I can tell you that the rear door is somewhat short in length and low in height. Remember my comment about this being a short wheelbase car. Also, the Coupe roof design is going to come into play. The roof slopes down dramatically over the rear door so rear seat passengers (and cargo) have a limited opening size to negotiate. CLA's will begin hitting the MB lots within just a few short weeks so you should be able to so some personal testing within about a month.

You can expand your horizons quite a bit further to find reasonably priced cars with seat memory. For example, the Ford Fusion has very handsome fresh styling and is an incredible value. The Titanium trim level is very luxurious, has 3 seat memory settings and has several luxury features not even available on the CLA. It's sister model, the Lincoln MKZ is also worthy of a look. The MKZ has dramatic new styling with the 4 door Coupe look that has caught your eye.
I appreciate the suggestions. However, I simply have not ever considered buying a Ford before. I know it is a great car but that doesn't mean I want to own one. I looked up the Fusion and it looks really good. However, I still think a CLA is just a much better car for about the same price. The Lincoln MKZ is just ugly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts