Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed the JoyeAuto CarPlay + Android Auto Unit. I gotta say it was a massive pain to install cause it required the removal of:

1. Air Vents
2. Glove Box
3. Command Console (and the pain of putting it back with all those extra wires)
4. AC/Cup holder pieces (yes both of them)

On paper, the install doesn't seem too difficult, as the concept is to attach a piggyback system onto the main OS. This way, you keep both the Car OS + JoyeAuto CarPlay (which also is WIRELESS and has Phone Mirroring)

Recommendations/Advice:

1. When removing the AC screws, do not let them fall deep into the dash. Use a magnetized screwdriver or grasp it once its loose. I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't screw out the whole way - that is wrong. They do fall, I had the experience of enjoying that. Had to use an endoscope with a magnetized tip to pull it out. Was a waste time of 2 hrs actually, but I wont get into that. I found it at the end.

2. When you are "preparing the JoyeAuto 48 pin harness" - dont forget to transfer over the 2 fiberoptic cables from the original 48 pin harness. If you dont, you wont get sound.

3. When putting the Command console back in place, it is a very tight space. I wasted an hour trying to fit everything back. You have to make sure there are 0 tangles in the cables. Even a small tangle wont let you put the console back. That means dissect the path of every cable and place each cable on the side of the "command slot" in the direction it originates/comes from. Also, the "complex of the original 48pin harness + Joyeauto female 48pin harness should be pushed in the back, bottom space. There is a small opening that you should place it in. That will allow you to slide the command back in its slot.

4. I put the Joyeauto box between the "command slot" and the glovebox. I tried placing it on the crash bar/support beam and behind the glove box. It wouldn't fit. The box is too big for those places. Maybe the newer JoyeAuto units are smaller? I had mine since August 2019. I used 2x very long zipties to fasten it. I bought 24inch zip ties, but probably used 12 inches max.

5. Placed mic under steering wheel. Clips in the spot well.

6. As explained in the MBWorld forum, I used the ground loop adapter as well.

7. I routed the AUX cable into the center console by using a metal rod to "bust open the small rectangle box" on the console's inside by the bottom of the forward wall. You can see there is an outline there, just push the rod through and it breaks out.

8. I cheated and had my dealer remove the AC vents for me. It is a 2 second thing for them. I tried using a fake/3rd party tool and it was too flimsy to use. You really need a strong and properly angled tool for the vents. There is a guide by @Pete that talks about it. DIY - Vent Removal, Command Removal, VIM Install

9. The LVDS cable you wanna pull out is here. JoyeAuto Support told me to send a pic of the back of my command system. They sent me the pic back with this arrow.

Resources:

1. JoyeAuto Video of a C Class. Obviously the install aspect is completely different, but it was the best video for the wiring aspect along with the wiring diagram given with the kit. I had to slow the video down to 0.5x speed in places though.

2. Post by @Fonsi on "DIY - Disassembling the Interior." Tremendous resource for the vent removal + Glovebox removal + Cupholder/AC piece removal.

3. MBWorld JoyeAuto Guide by @trbofly on "JoyEAuto CarPlay Installation Instructions (Works)." This was a fantastic guide for wiring and preparing the 48pin + the ground loop adapter for noise. It also has instructions for an AMG GT, but the wiring and tips are helpful.

4. JoyeAuto Support Downloads for firmware updates + wiring guide

There are passwords needed to access this:
Download: joyedow
User Manual: joyauto*
Tech Support: joytec
Installation: joyeins

I only used the download site along with this video.

Download update #1 btw, it has all the other updates combined.

5. JoyeAuto WhatsApp support page. They really helped me with any question I had. I was beyond impressed with the support. I expected not to get a response or that the help would be worthless. The only caveat was that they asked me my order number. I ordered it from their website, so it was no issue. But I think if you order from Aliexpress, it shouldn't be an issue. If you wanna play it safe, get it from their website or message them on WhatsApp before you purchase to see if they will help you even if you don't purchase from them.

Overall, good luck. The system is so worth it at the end.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Oh yeah ... putting the head back in without kinking the harness especially the multimode fibers is a p-i-t-a
I bought those hooks for the vents on ebay even before I got my car Time saver
Yours is ntg5*x right?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah ... putting the head back in without kinking the harness especially the multimode fibers is a p-i-t-a
I bought those hooks for the vents on ebay even before I got my car Time saver
Yours is ntg5*x right?
Yep, mine is an NTG5-something lol
Yeah that was a smart call, especially if you wanna do something in the dash area.
Also those screws are captive
If yours are not something is odd ... you got your 15 new right?
Yeah that’s actually kinda interesting. I bought mine new, but I’m wondering maybe the dealers removed my command as I tried to get 3 of them to get me CarPlay with updating the command firmware. Either way, it was not fun at the slightest when I discovered mine weren’t captive lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts