Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headlamps – Intelligent Light System (code 621)
Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights, Adaptive High Beam Assist, cornering light function, headlamp wash and LED rear tail lights

Evidently US spec cars don't get this feature although I'm not sure it's been confirmed or denied by MB. Another thread noticed the exclusion of this system in recent (production or pre-production) US Open display vehicles by directing attention to the center portion, closer to the grill in each headlight, and noting a lamp is not present. Researching the optional equipment UK price list also suggests in a photo on page 20 that these center lamps may be a feature of the Intelligent Light System.

My US spec build printout from May 20th, 2013 shows Bi-Xenon Headlamps (code 614). However, later build printouts from netstar no longer show standard accessory codes such as this.

Why this is the case? Maybe because it's too 'intelligent' for US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. (similar to the Audi A8 Matrix headlights).

From the UK CLA-Class brochure:
The Intelligent Light System comprises a variety of modes and functions: country mode, motorway mode, fog mode, cornering light function, Adaptive High Beam Assist, which automatically maximises the headlamps’ range then lowers them again as soon as the lights of an oncoming vehicle are detected. Also included are LED tail lights and LED integral daytime running lights that help you to be seen in dull conditions.
Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 2.09.20 PM.JPG

·
Registered
56 Posts
No, other Mercedes have it. E,CLS,S,SL ect. It may just be a cost measure. It may be something else. But they do have it on other models. In fact I delivered a S class today that had it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
US guv officials don't want light bulbs brighter than they are. (Auto week said a few weeks ago that these systems are all banned in the US.)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photo of the lamp in contention:
Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 3.54.29 PM.JPG
Specifically referring to the part square-ish / part rounded lamp to the left of the xenon bulb.

Is there a possibility this could be the integrated fog light mentioned in this thread?

·
Registered
95 Posts
US guv officials don't want light bulbs brighter than they are. (Auto week said a few weeks ago that these systems are all banned in the US.)
Not ture, I have it on my 2013 C class!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on the information in the CLA brochure from MB yesterday I'm fairly certain we won't be getting ILS. There's no mention of it and the press photographs are all showing the missing lamp located next to the xenon bulb. I'm willing to guess this is a cornering lamp similar to the one used in the 07 BMW 3 series coupe (e92/e93). It activates at a certain steering angle and shuts off once you straighten out. Shame.

Add this to the bucket of one more thing they'll probably add at a later date.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Exacly those are the fog lights that goes on when you turn the wheel left or right when u go under 30km/h. I have it on my.
the ILS is definitely not standard on the canadian CLA
i have the bi-xenon package and it doesn't come with it. not sure if it comes in another package..

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Who's going to be the first to crack open the US headlamp to install a foglight...or just import the Euro headlamp cluster with full ILS (assuming there's a software fix that'll allow it to work in a US vehicle)? :)

-Eric

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd probably go the Euro headlamp cluster route. I could be wrong but I'm assuming the logic for the ILS could be contained within the headlamp cluster itself. Would anyone know about this from similar experience or would we have to try it ourselves? Could make for an interesting DIY.

This would also eliminate the orange/amber side marker which is also another wonderful US regulation requirement.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Who's going to be the first to crack open the US headlamp to install a foglight...or just import the Euro headlamp cluster with full ILS (assuming there's a software fix that'll allow it to work in a US vehicle)? :)-Eric
That sounds like a great idea, but IF it is possible, it will cost. I'm going to WAG a minimum of $800.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts