Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if others are experiencing more than average (acceptable?) level of squeaks, rattles, creaks, and buzzes from their CLA45. Here in MN, we've had plenty of sub-zero days and snow-packed roads this winter, both of which exaggerate things. However, riding in my wife's C300 under the same conditions I hear a lot less "cheap car" sounding noises.

Some of them are associated with road conditions, bumps and the like, but others are inexplicable. Like an odd squeak of stress being relieved in an interior panel or part. I'm coming from back-to-back SLK350s, so the sound of a noisy interior isn't foreign to me. I'm just a bit disappointed in the perceived lack of quality due to this.

1) Anyone else experiencing this?
2) Is there anything that can be done? (that my dealer will agree to?)

Appreciate the feedback.
Chris

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My cla 45 amg is extremely quiet . No rattles no buzzing . Nothing .
Now in cold starts the engine is noisy .( direct injection)

·
Registered
896 Posts
i hear some at higher rev's sometimes wen the music is off . . . i think as the car "settles" there will be less and less. . .

i wont judge til i hit 3-5k miles . . .

anyhting under 2k rpms and i dont hear a squeak

·
Registered
479 Posts
My dealer put felt all over the damn place after I demonstrated rattles in the two rear doors, the front tweeters, center channel speaker, Garmin navi-look alike screen, front right door, etc. That got rid of most of them and now there's an occasionally this or that that I'm willing to live with. Our cars were not built like a solid Mercedes should be, I hate to say. Ohwell.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have experienced squeaks and rattles but only when it is frigid cold and the car is not warmed up. Once it reaches temperature, all noises go away. It only happens when i don't let it warm up for a bit but it goes away after 5 minutes of driving and the temp goes to operating temperature. when it's not frigid cold, not so much as a hiccup. i think it's just the car settling in and the cold shrinks rubber seals, once the car is warm they all loosen up and give a tighter seal and squeaking goes away.. not a big deal as the winter is more than half way done.

Wondering if others are experiencing more than average (acceptable?) level of squeaks, rattles, creaks, and buzzes from their CLA45. Here in MN, we've had plenty of sub-zero days and snow-packed roads this winter, both of which exaggerate things. However, riding in my wife's C300 under the same conditions I hear a lot less "cheap car" sounding noises.

Some of them are associated with road conditions, bumps and the like, but others are inexplicable. Like an odd squeak of stress being relieved in an interior panel or part. I'm coming from back-to-back SLK350s, so the sound of a noisy interior isn't foreign to me. I'm just a bit disappointed in the perceived lack of quality due to this.

Appreciate the feedback.
Chris

·
Registered
210 Posts
My car has a lot of these squeaks, rattles, creaks and buzzes. I put 3M double sided tape in between all the trim and metal frames of the doors, underneath where it is not visible and that helped with the rattles when listening to music. There is a sticky that I believe Clayboy started on that.

I also have a very annoying buzzing noise coming from the dash under the speedo and tach that if I press up in between the gap goes away for about 15 seconds. Then there is a HORRIBLE rattle coming from my pano roof that is always there and I can get it to rattle by revving the engine.

I bought some insulation tape that you use for doors to see if I can rid these problems myself, if not I will be going to the dealer. I just haven't had the time yet.

Thank you for starting this thread, rattles really piss me off, I can't believe that these cars interiors aren't built better.

Dan

Appreciate the feedback.
Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
So far, the only noise that shouldn't be is an air leak on the front passenger door that gets really annoying after about 110-120 mph but is noticeable at 80.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
23 Posts
I been having some issue with my 45 as well. There are a whole bunch of rattles that I have taken the car in to the dealer multiple times. The rattling are/were coming from:

• 3 of the 4 door panels
  • Behind the navi LCD
  • The B pillars, supposedly due to the seat belt tensioners
  • Driver side left AC vent
  • Sun visors when extended

The dealer tried to fix a bunch of them The doors are mostly taken care of. The rest, not so much, and they have bluntly told me that they can't do any more than they already have. I am at the point that I have called MB NA and complained about the issue and is waiting for them to make a decision on what they can do. The most annoying of them all is the noise from behind the LCD. I have actually taken the whole piece off myself and examined it. I believe the noise is coming from the mounting bracket, which has 2 metal clips on it. 1 of the 2 seems to be very loose and is likely vibrating at times at the car is traveling and is producing a repeated click. I will install some tape myself and see if that stops the noise. However, I have requested MB to replace the screen altogether since the dealer had made a complete mess with it as they were troubleshooting. There was also leather bulge problem on the driver seat, which the dealer had the bottom leather replaced, but there is still a minor bulge that seems to suggest the issue is also there with the foam piece. I will need to ask MB about that as well.

·
Registered
681 Posts
eroji,
What is the production date of your car?

·
Registered
45 Posts
To be honest I am in the same boat with the other owners of this thread. I'm not sure how to check the production date of my car since I bought it as a car that was sitting in the showroom for a couple weeks, but even coming from a 2011 GLK350 I am a bit disappointed with the build quality from Mercedes, even if it's MBs new entry level model I had hoped that the qualities MB trumpets would have extended to our beloved cars. I still find the positives vastly outweighing the negatives and I love my car. Wouldn't have any other car for 59k, but I do have rattles occasionally from the drivers seatbelt area, the navigation command LCD, and an abrasive noise when recalling the sun shade occasionally that gets better the more it's used. Since my 45 is so new, I'm waiting it out hoping that less and not more rattles show up over time. I'll probably post an update in a months time. Did I mention though how much I love my car? Seriously, best looking AMG that MB makes. And best value, love all the options on my car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got the call back from MB NA. They have agreed to proceed with attempting to fix the problems again (more dealer visists). I have flat out demanded that the parts affected replaced with new ones. I will be taking the car to a different dealer as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have many rattles as well. Most notably from the center dash near the windshield. All 4 doors were rattling...dealer put felt tape on all 4 door panels, drivers rear door still rattles I determined it's coming from the speaker housing as when I reach back and put pressure on it the rattles stop. The dash is a whole other issue. Dealer allegedly took the dash apart and put felt everywhere but nothing has changed. Then they say they can't replicate the rattles in their 2 minute test drive so they think it's fixed. They have had the car for over 20 days in combined attempts to fix these. They told me there's nothing else they can do so go to a different dealer. I couldn't believe how they treated me. I opened a case with MB customer care and I have a meeting with the MB factory field rep next week to go over the issues. I took video of all the rattles to prove they exist even if they don't hear them. I find that on my hour commute to/from work each day that the rattles at some point do show up. They don't happen all the time but once conditions are right then they don't go away. I'll report back.... They better fix these...it's a 60k car and it shouldn't rattle like a 10k used car.

Got the call back from MB NA. They have agreed to proceed with attempting to fix the problems again (more dealer visists). I have flat out demanded that the parts affected replaced with new ones. I will be taking the car to a different dealer as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have many rattles as well. Most notably from the center dash near the windshield. All 4 doors were rattling...dealer put felt tape on all 4 door panels, drivers rear door still rattles I determined it's coming from the speaker housing as when I reach back and put pressure on it the rattles stop. The dash is a whole other issue. Dealer allegedly took the dash apart and put felt everywhere but nothing has changed. Then they say they can't replicate the rattles in their 2 minute test drive so they think it's fixed. They have had the car for over 20 days in combined attempts to fix these. They told me there's nothing else they can do so go to a different dealer. I couldn't believe how they treated me. I opened a case with MB customer care and I have a meeting with the MB factory field rep next week to go over the issues. I took video of all the rattles to prove they exist even if they don't hear them. I find that on my hour commute to/from work each day that the rattles at some point do show up. They don't happen all the time but once conditions are right then they don't go away. I'll report back.... They better fix these...it's a 60k car and it shouldn't rattle like a 10k used car.
Wow, I am in almost the EXACT same situation as you. Only difference is that the dealer did not take the dash apart and MB NA has spoke to their field team but wants me to still take it back to the dealer. For the dash noise, I advise you try to take the COMMAND LCD off (need torx screw driver) yourself to check the plastic bracket behind it. You can pull it straight out and there should be 2 metal clips on it. See if that is loose, because they were on mine. You can take the clips off, put a little bit of tape on the plastic tabs then put the clips back on and reinstall everything.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts