Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a different post there were questions about if you can plug your iPod into the standard stereo to play music, or if you have to purchase the P01 Premium Package to get your music to play. I had perhaps incorrectly assumed that the basic stereo system would have the capability to plug in your iPod (likely through an AUX jack). I called my dealer and he shared with me the Standard features list and it includes USB port. So, it seems that P01 isn't needed for basic iPod plug and play. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
53 Posts
That maybe just an USB port for charging device? Not hooked up to the stereo equipment.

From my Product Order Guide (Canada However), it describes this as "USB Connection in Storage Compartment Under Front Armrest"

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That maybe just an USB port for charging device? Not hooked up to the stereo equipment.

From my Product Order Guide (Canada However), it describes this as "USB Connection in Storage Compartment Under Front Armrest"
Hmm....The US Order Guide says "USB Port, Bluetooth Audio Streaming, & HD Radio." I'm hoping that because they are listed in the same sentence it is more than just a USB charging device.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have my fingers crossed that your right bubbles.
I really hope I am too. I debated just getting the P01 just to be sure, but after talking with the dealer and him sending me a screenshot of the dealer order guide standard equipment list, I think it gives me what I need. I really hope so...

·
Registered
495 Posts
In a different post there were questions about if you can plug your iPod into the standard stereo to play music, or if you have to purchase the P01 Premium Package to get your music to play. I had perhaps incorrectly assumed that the basic stereo system would have the capability to plug in your iPod (likely through an AUX jack). I called my dealer and he shared with me the Standard features list and it includes USB port. So, it seems that P01 isn't needed for basic iPod plug and play. Am I missing something here?
Within another thread this same question was raised by myself. I was advised by an MB associate that an AUX (femaie) input will not be available as a standard feature. The Premium Package includes this feature which is simply an AUX (female) jack. I opted not to get the Premium Package, but I will be able to stream music to play in my car thru the standard Bluetooth that comes equipped in the car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Within another thread this same question was raised by myself. I was advised by an MB associate that an AUX (femaie) input will not be available as a standard feature. The Premium Package includes this feature which is simply an AUX (female) jack. I opted not to get the Premium Package, but I will be able to stream music to play in my car thru the standard Bluetooth that comes equipped in the car.
Yes, you are correct. There isn't an AUX jack, but there is a USB on the standard which has the possibility of giving us what we need. We just don't know for sure if it's all hooked into the stereo or just a stand-alone charging station. *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes, you are correct. There isn't an AUX jack, but there is a USB on the standard which has the possibility of giving us what we need. We just don't know for sure if it's all hooked into the stereo or just a stand-alone charging station. *fingers crossed*
I don't believe that there will be a USB as a standard feature on the CLA. If this were the case, i don't believe the need to have the iPod/MP3 Media Interface embedded within the Premium Package would be necessary.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't believe that there will be a USB as a standard feature on the CLA. If this were the case, i don't believe the need to have the iPod/MP3 Media Interface embedded within the Premium Package would be necessary.

The dealer order guide lists a USB as standard.

·
Registered
294 Posts
"The Media Interface is available as an optional extra. The universal interface enables mobile audio devices such as an mp3 player or iPod® to be connected to the vehicle's telematics system. These devices are then operated via the head unit, the central control unit or the steering wheel buttons. By making use of USB 2.0, the new generation of the Media Interface provides quicker display and an expanded data selection."

"With air conditioning, 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel with 12 function buttons, steering column adjustable in height and longitudinal direction, green-tinted heat-insulating glass, Audio 20 CD radio with dual tuner, colour display and MP3- WMA- AAC-capable CD drive, six speakers as well as Aux-in socket and USB interface in the centre armrest for external audio and video devices, even the standard equipment of the new Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class is particularly generous."

Source: Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class (2014)

Hmmm, what is this telling us? That the media interface lets us control the ipod/mp3 through the steering wheel or big screen. But in the second paragraph is it saying we will still be able to connect ipod/mp3 however will have to play it manually instead of having convenience of using the steering wheel and big screen? I hope so. Tell me what you guys think

·
Registered
294 Posts
CLA Key standard equipment:

"Attention Assist
Collision Prevention Assist
Active Park Assist
Audio 20 CD/radio with 5.8 inch colour display
Aux-in socket and USB port in centre armrest
Bluetooth®interface
Becker Map Pilot®pre-wiring
Twin exhaust pipe system in polished stainless steel
Dual zone climate control
Light and Sight package; consisting of rain-sensing wipers, reading and console lights and illuminated vanity mirrors, door sills and storage compartment in the centre console"

Source:Order your Mercedes-Benz CLA now

Hmmmm. There's ^ UK Cla standard equipment

·
Registered
495 Posts
CLA Key standard equipment:

"Attention Assist
Collision Prevention Assist
Active Park Assist
Audio 20 CD/radio with 5.8 inch colour display
Aux-in socket and USB port in centre armrest
Bluetooth®interface
Becker Map Pilot®pre-wiring
Twin exhaust pipe system in polished stainless steel
Dual zone climate control
Light and Sight package; consisting of rain-sensing wipers, reading and console lights and illuminated vanity mirrors, door sills and storage compartment in the centre console"

Source:Order your Mercedes-Benz CLA now

Hmmmm. There's ^ UK Cla standard equipment
Well, hopefully those same features will be standard on the US model. I don't see why they wouldn't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Streaming BT has been standard in all of our new designs for the last couple of years, i think it negates the media connection cable a good bit.

Becker map pilot is trash, don't do it. I have not had one person be satisfied with it.

Drive kit plus seems to be the way to go if you are not wanting to get the P1/Multimedia combo.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I believe that's correct. My son's GTI does exactly that. USB allows you to play through the car's audio system but the control is from your ipod unit such as song selection.
The center display doesn't participate at all. No song title, length of play etc. And no control from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
256 Posts
MercedesBenz Fans of Al. has a few good points. I too have heard from a couple of folks that the Becker technology is not all the hype it's given. And the Drive Kit Plus is cool for those with iPhones, to avoid the costs of the P1/Multimedia combo. It is a shame though, that MB forces one to get the P1 Premium Pkg. just to get the garage door opener, auto-dimming mirrors, and the H/K sound system. Oh well ... c'est la vie!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone figured this out? I ordered my CLA yesterday and opted not to do the Prem Package however I would get that changed if it is necessary to play an ipod through the steering wheel controls and use the cover flow or view the full features on the screen. I'm looking to avoid using the device itself to control selections. The dealer told me that the media interface was not necessary but I'm starting to think that is not true.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I believe media interface is like letting you to control your ipod through the screen& control, probably show songs name and track on the screen, too. For me, I am getting the premium because of the dual zone climate control, not the media interface. Even if there is no media interface, you could at least connect the ipod through bluetooth and play music that way, then all you need is a holder for the ipod/smartphones at the vent and you are good to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe media interface is like letting you to control your ipod through the screen& control, probably show songs name and track on the screen, too. For me, I am getting the premium because of the dual zone climate control, not the media interface. Even if there is no media interface, you could at least connect the ipod through bluetooth and play music that way, then all you need is a holder for the ipod/smartphones at the vent and you are good to go.

I think you're right. At least I hope you're right :) I was still able to make the change and upgrade to Prem. The whole package seems worth it but I really would like to be able to control the ipod from the steering wheel and have the cover art display all working together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts