Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. I bought my 2017 CLA back in March and I have about 27,000 miles on it. Im starting to approach that 30,000 when service is needed. The prior owner (or leasee) was very diligent about service, Carfax shows service done at 9,000 and 18,000 through the dealership and all recommended services complete. My questions:

I am very capable of doing most of these services, should I?
Is it worth it for re-sale to be maintained through Mercedes?
Does it even matter who did it, as long as its done?

Thanks all, I know there are usually 2 camps, but thinking about when I am going to trade this in for a newer one, I want to lessen the loss as much as possible.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Receipts of consumables
Pictures of work
Reset service indicator

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
a) I am very capable of doing most of these services, should I?
Clearly you are asking for Opinions. Ask yourself, which services are you Not capable of doing. They are still necessary, so who is going to do them? Your MB service advisor will put you in a "free" loaner or give
you coffee* and cookies" if you wait for service. What is your time and convenience worth to you? Is that more than what a dealer or other shop would charge?

b) Is it worth it for re-sale to be maintained through Mercedes?
Did the CarFax show the previous owner did so? Well, then it impressed you enough to buy yours...so yes it is a significant factor with some buyers and it is a selling feature. The transfer of ownership to a new buyer also includes the remaining warranties and can include an introduction of the potential buyer to your Service Advisor, for a records update. He can be an awfully good reference

c) Does it even matter who did it, as long as its done?
For warranty purposes you need to be able to prove what has been done - note @JMC's comment above. The Dealer's records are CarFax records, so you don't need additional proof for MB or any potential buyers.

* Refers to one member's recent observation, on another thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a) I am very capable of doing most of these services, should I?
Clearly you are asking for Opinions. Ask yourself, which services are you Not capable of doing. They are still necessary, so who is going to do them? Your MB service advisor will put you in a "free" loaner or give
you coffee* and cookies" if you wait for service. What is your time and convenience worth to you? Is that more than what a dealer or other shop would charge?

b) Is it worth it for re-sale to be maintained through Mercedes?
Did the CarFax show the previous owner did so? Well, then it impressed you enough to buy yours...so yes it is a significant factor with some buyers and it is a selling feature. The transfer of ownership to a new buyer also includes the remaining warranties and can include an introduction of the potential buyer to your Service Advisor, for a records update. He can be an awfully good reference

c) Does it even matter who did it, as long as its done?
For warranty purposes you need to be able to prove what has been done - note @JMC's comment above. The Dealer's records are CarFax records, so you don't need additional proof for MB or any potential buyers.

* Refers to one member's recent observation, on another thread.
Thanks for the input. This is why I like asking, because as something as simple as "Did the CarFax show the previous owner did so? Well, then it impressed you enough to buy yours...so yes it is a significant factor with some buyers and it is a selling feature" escapes my thought process when my cheapness shows its ugly face.

I will likely use dealership services for at least the life of the warranty, then reassess.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Steve, You will find the word "stealership" used frequently on this Forum...
Over the years I have found that the word applies across all makes and models, not just MB.
Some of our members have the knowledge, experience and equipment to handle much of the regular maintenance and enjoy great savings. For them, it is not "cheapness" but rather utilizing their skills to save waste.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
... and prevent unnecessary damage, scratches, bumper car issues, etc
but then some dealers are reeeeeeally good at what they do and i dont have to break my fingernails so ...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Imo dealer maintenance is hideously overpriced. It may be well worth it to folks who value convenience over savings, but I have never been one of those. I refuse to pay $200 for an oil change when I can do it myself for $35. I usually have a logbook, for each car where I note the maintenance performed. I make copies of the consumables receipts and keep it in the book. From what I heard, if a dealer wants to deny warranty coverage on the basis that you did not service the car by them, they woudl have to prove that something you did ( or neglected) led to the failure. I had a lot of warranty repairs on the CLA and the dealer never asked me about "who did the maintenance". jmc, why do you think photos of the work done are necessary? How would the photos even mean anything, unless you video tape yourself doing the work :) ?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hello Coder, I think @jmc is just describing what precautions he takes based on His experiences and is playing it safe.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am just not understanding how photos taken can substantiate that we did some maintenance, or what exactly was done, and when. For example: photos of the open and closed oil filler cap. Before and after the oil change. Hmmm. Look exactly the same. Photo of owner pouring M1 0w40 oil into the engine. Could have been a top-off. How do we know the picture is of the specific car in question? How do we prove the date? Photo date stamps can be easily manipulated. The point I am trying to make, it would be fairly difficult to come up with pictures that would actually prove anything. Maybe witnessed pictures, by someone unrelated?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In the legal world, they become talking points.

·
Registered
139 Posts
personally upto 6 years old dealer service, after that i use my local mechanic and do the bits i can by myself

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
@coder
you know ... you have a good point ... and i did think about that many moons ago

if anything goes wrong it would most probably end up in a civil case where preponderance of evidence holds
so i would present my current $1057.49 spent on maintenance as of 07/18/20 with the projected $652.96 per pending work as parts/materials/supplies are already in house (i like things down to the penny, and partial pennies if necessary when a resource is shared or dispensed over time, like gumout, gasoline enzyme treatments, techron treatments, etc)
if they question that i have all the receipts down to the penny, the credit card statements to back them up, and an 87,049,216B (83M) excel file with every single event related to the car noted (and currently prints out to a 128 page pdf in fine font)

if they want to go forensic .....
my current information data bank for this car is at 36,397,442,268B (33.8G / 37,760 files) organized into 670 folder segments
included is 2,561,620,129B (2.38G) of 3004 pictures (typically 1920x1080 frames) in 151 folder segments corresponding to all maintenance, repair, upgrades which also documents date codes of materials (e.g. oil) with corresponding purchase documents, including the product delivery path codes if necessary so it is known which carrier, delivery path, and delivery terminal the items were dispatched from and to
every event has its associated process notes and observations
i have all the used oil filters sealed and stored (but the oil is recycled) though there is enough remnants in the filter media for time based uoa if needed to trace the wear pattern of the contact surfaces per each of the time periods
the coolant details are down to the mL so i can track the antifreeze content % change over time and correlate it to any overall coolant temperature trend changes with each obd2 data log from every trip (short or long)
the tire tread monitoring is down to 100um and tracked at a static location on each tire
cold tire pressures are set with date mileage temperature humidity references, same gps location (garage) and same car position using fixed location tire blocks
tire pressure run data is documented for each trip with pressure differentials plotted over tire lifetime, and correlated to any nonuniformity in tread face surface roughness (which ties into the overall thrust vectors and suspension alignment - which are still stock from 03/31/14 delivery) ... i shared one of those tire tread plots once and member oz called me an academic that upside down so and so :p
the ride height (relative to gas tank level and constant cabin/trunk content) is documented at each corner periodically to the mm, to look for any shock stiction and spring sag issues over time. full drop suspension travel is observed to the mm as well, and can be used to observe any bushing tolerance changes and wear differentials. shock tower and suspension check point measurements help temper the data
benz has a database of mm level chassis measurement points which help observe the chassis integrity with age, e.g. cross beam laser reference points are used to check for chassis creep and panel drift, especially after any heavy hits from potholes or poor road surface joints. the laser beam size is diffraction limited to minimize reading errors
the black box data in the car is observed periodically to note any discrepancies in odometer readings vs computer stored readings, and i have noticed a small 0.58% variance between computer / odometer / obd log data ... overall the gauge odometer reads a little less than what the ecu computer logs
gps coordinates (lat long elevation direction) are stored for each trip as well, pulled from the obd data host (e.g. android phone), and is one of 50 obd pids logged per trip, and the data is married to the car via the obd device handshake identification (a unique vin / hwid / ecu cal code correlation)
then of course theres the gasoline and mpg log ... which still shows the gauge is +1mpg happier in 6 years!
all this goes on and on ... what can i say, i like data

and just for fun there is a quarterly update on the depreciation / value of the car since delivery ... interesting trends

bottom line is my supporting evidence would hopefully convince some legal eagle my data and claims are not fabricated, and the sheer volume of data would be tough to dream up in typical pretrial prep time frames
i suppose i could get a newspaper every time i do something but geeewhiz i am not executing a ransom :)

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
...and just in case you aren't quite as meticulous as jmc, you could make the point that you didn't buy the oil, filter et al just to decorate your house - if you weren't going to perform the service, you wouldn't have wasted money on the specifics necessary to do it.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
@steveb76

dont mind us nuts we always take left turns on these forum threads

seems the spirit of your query is quite logical though if you are concerned with resale then the total ownership cost over time should be considered as well yes?

so if you manage to save say $2k overall by changing the oil and running through the service checkpoints etc yourself then oh gee why not ... though there is time effort facilities etc and thus opportunity cost

flip a coin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts