Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to comment here for a sec, so forgive me for venting a bit. First, I do think MB has a hit with the CLA. With that said, I don't understand why Americans put up with the lack of options for our market. Very limited compared to other markets. Just check it out and share your thoughts. My only vote is with my purchase, so I will be waiting until they expand product options. If enough of us speak out, changes would be made.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm following, there's tons of individual options for this car. Most are grouped into packages.

Specific options like Keyless go isn't currently available anywhere. However one particular feature omitted in the US, the intelligent lighting system, really bothers me. Seems like we're second world over here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Joe,

The reason we do not package cars as we do in other (European markets) is to simplify the ordering process. Most Americans expect to walk on a lot and drive off with thier new car, in europe everyone orders their car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yea, I agree with Blownaway. It's hard for Americans to imagine, but Europeans have more of a sophisticated car culture than Americans. And like most good auto enthusiasts, they order exactly what they want. Their whole car buying network is set up around individual ordering. Placing an order and waiting a couple months is a hard concept for many Americans to imagine. Although, it's what I've down with my last three cars. But I'm an exception and not the rule in America.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Yea, I agree with Blownaway. It's hard for Americans to imagine, but Europeans have more of a sophisticated car culture than Americans. And like most good auto enthusiasts, they order exactly what they want. Their whole car buying network is set up around individual ordering. Placing an order and waiting a couple months is a hard concept for many Americans to imagine. Although, it's what I've down with my last three cars. But I'm an exception and not the rule in America.
How many posters on this forum can drive a stick shift ?
How many posters on this forum want to drive a CLA with stick shift ?
Well, many European do.
How many posters on the forum want power seats with memory ?
How many posters on the forum want leather seats ?
How many poster on the forum wants GPS or dual zone climate control ?
Well, most European don't want to pay for it as the cars are a lot more expensive due to taxes.
We drive big SUVs, they drive 2CVs. Gas here is $3.80 a gallon. Gas is $3.80 a liter in Europe ( I may be off a little but the point is the same.)
Completely different car culture.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm pretty much ok with the way they optioned this car. My main gripe is the lack of a back up camera. At this price point it should be standard especially since every CLA comes with that iPad like screen in the middle of the dash. I was told today that Navigation is a $800 U.S. dealer option but it did not include nor was available with a back up camera! So close, yet so far away, lol.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm pretty much ok with the way they optioned this car. My main gripe is the lack of a back up camera. At this price point it should be standard especially since every CLA comes with that iPad like screen in the middle of the dash. I was told today that Navigation is a $800 U.S. dealer option but it did not include nor was available with a back up camera! So close, yet so far away, lol.
The GPS for $800 is a lower tech Becker unit instead of the hard drive 3D GPS system that comes with the MM package.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, agreed...maybe making too big of an issue here. Only thing I ask you to do is check out Canada's options. Unless there is a bridge I don't know about, we are pretty dang close to 'em. And think we should at least have same "packages" available in US market.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Text Font Document Paper Parallel Text Font Line Parallel
Heres a options list from Canada if you want to compare. We also have Integrated Garage Door Opener
 PARKTRONIC w/Active Parking Assist
Carbon Fibre interior
Carbon Fibre exterior as stand alone options. Only reason they don't show up on the picture lists is because I decided not to get that stuff in the order. So feel free to compare the US and Canadian options I guess

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks superjak95,
did notice that Canada has option for power retractable outside mirrors...do not see for US. Would be sweet to have this choice.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thanks superjak95,
did notice that Canada has option for power retractable outside mirrors...do not see for US. Would be sweet to have this choice.
They come with the premium package, but ya its going to be really useful especially when parking in tight spaces

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
agreed...especially with a tight garage door opening that I have. wonder if this is option that just won't come our way or would show up in future model year.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
agreed...especially with a tight garage door opening that I have. wonder if this is option that just won't come our way or would show up in future model year.
It would be interesting to see. That option did not show up in the US C-class. I have a new C250 Coupe with premium package but NO folding mirrors.
My 2001 278,000 miles S430 does, however.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we will never know for sure why, but wouldn't it be fun to get to talk to those who make these types of decisions? I know for this consumer who is a party of 1, I think a badge car should be standard with this option and keyless go. Come on now.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
It would be interesting to see. That option did not show up in the US C-class. I have a new C250 Coupe with premium package but NO folding mirrors.
My 2001 278,000 miles S430 does, however.
They come standard on the C350s and are options for the C300 and C250 here in Canada.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts