Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would purchase the CLA for longterm usage so I was wondering if it was worth waiting an additional year for them to get the majority of the kinks worked out. I'm sure any issues would be taken care of through recalls and service bulletins but it would be better to not always have to take the vehicle in for service. Also would a second year CLA would be assembled better since the workers would be more familiar with the vehicle and the procedures. I have no knowledge on current automobile manufacturing procedures so I'm not sure if worker experience even comes into question when assembling a vehicle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
with any other car manufacturer, I would say to possibly wait a year....but were not talking about any old car builder. i have no hesitation about buying a first year production from a reputable manufacturer such as mercedes....Best of luck

·
Registered
730 Posts
Int'l market...

The USDM '14 CLA would've presumably been in other markets already as a CLA, and definitely as an A-Class. Assuming those offerings didn't gave any noted shortcomings, we all should be in a relatively good situation as early adopters. At times, a new model doesn't have such real-world time prior to being offered here.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree with Osiris ... the US CLA is a US market version of the A-Class that has been produced for the European markets for several years. The only difference is really the body and maybe a few other parts. The primary operating systems have been mated and been working together in other models in markets outside the US. But I would not have an issue with a first production year model like the CLA.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would purchase the CLA for longterm usage so I was wondering if it was worth waiting an additional year for them to get the majority of the kinks worked out. I'm sure any issues would be taken care of through recalls and service bulletins but it would be better to not always have to take the vehicle in for service. Also would a second year CLA would be assembled better since the workers would be more familiar with the vehicle and the procedures. I have no knowledge on current automobile manufacturing procedures so I'm not sure if worker experience even comes into question when assembling a vehicle.
Any new car that debuts from any manufacturer will always have quite a few issues with the vehicle. This will be my first vehicle that I have owned where I have bought it the first year it debuts, but I believe that the warranty should cover any unforeseen issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mvpfictin,
I bought the first sub-$30,000 Mercedes when it came out in 2002, the C230 Kompressor, hatchback. My wife reminded me of all the times I was at the dealer for annoying things unique to this car. I needed several sets of gas tank sensors that showed a half tank and we'd still run out of gas. At least one time was on the Taconic, so the walk was a pretty one.They told me they were the wrong ones, "it's a new model after all." The radiator failed and leaked into the transmission. That repair was caused by a defective radiator so they also fixed the transmission which was waterlogged. Two TCM's and two other modules under the front floorboards. Because it was a new model, no one especially me thought the front tires would kick up enough sand to sand blast the paint off the rear fenders in front of the rear wheels. They painted all four fenders after me having to essentially prove it. I of course had to pay for the sand protectors which are still there today as is the paint.
As much as I love the pics of this car and will be at the dealer to sit in it on the day it arrives, I wouldn't pay $30,000 again for fear of the glitches that most assuredly will appear. Customer service is great but I'd rather buy a car and not be on a first name basis with everyone that works there. They do provide free donuts and coffee though.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
They've bin producing the A class for more than a year, and the CLA since january. I believe they will have any problems ironed out by the time they start producing my CLA for delivery in January...
Yeah, but they have limited experience with the trunk. I predict serious problems with the CLA's trunk during the first year up until the Jan 2014 deliveries. ;)

-Eric

·
Registered
39 Posts
how many issues could they possibly have with the trunk? open/close? surely they could borrow off the processes for the c class etc

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I am almost certain the second year will be a more reliable batch of cars. This is not only a new model but also a new manufacturing facility in Hungary. But half the fun is owning a new model the first year. By next year, the CLA would have lost some of the appeal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am almost certain the second year will be a more reliable batch of cars. This is not only a new model but also a new manufacturing facility in Hungary. But half the fun is owning a new model the first year. By next year, the CLA would have lost some of the appeal.
i have a suspicion that KEYLESS-GO is gonna show up for the 2015 model year, that is if the A class gets it as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts