Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have order a CLA250 in Cirrus White but am very tempted to change it to Polar Silver. It seems to look very unique and cool from different video on YouTube. I would like to know what you think.

- Does anyone actually see the color?
- Is it a good color?
- Is it matte? If yes, is it easy to clean and maintain?

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
From a post of mine earlier last month:

Magno is like a flat or 'matte' finish. 2000$ option, can't wax or buff it and a bitch to maintain and fix in case of crash or dent/scratch. By bitch I mean expensive and your color will never be right

·
Registered
381 Posts
Note, there's "polar silver" and then there's "polar silver magno". The magno one is the matte version.

I considered the silver (and actually still am) but I'm afraid it's maybe too plain. I think it looks terrific when the car is by itself. It highlights the car's curves. But it doesn't have any "snap" when other cars are next to it, whether on a highway or in a parking lot. I may still get it, but am looking more now at white or red. I wish I could get one different color for each day of the week.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. You totally answered my question. I wasn't aware that it's a $2000 option. Now, I am going to stick with white and will not regret it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Polar Silver Magno paint finish seems to give a prism-like effect in certain lights. Very interesting, admittedly. Though, at a notable premium.

The Polar Silver Metallic finish is a glossy, clean finish that seems to be very "German" if not very MB. Kinda has that aviation-look to it if you will. Likely easy to maintain & detail, almost a wash+wax most of the time, unlike the other dark(er) colours.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Purezx, I believe you misunderstood. Polar Silver is NOT a $2000 option. It costs the same as any other metallic paint color.

The matte version of it that costs $2000. But you didn't inquire about that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Purezx, I believe you misunderstood. Polar Silver is NOT a $2000 option. It costs the same as any other metallic paint color.

The matte version of it that costs $2000. But you didn't inquire about that.
There was mention of Matte in thé original post...but Joey is right there are 2 versions, the Designo Matte one is a pain in the ass...the regular one is just a normal metallic paint.

·
Registered
95 Posts
(Note, there's "polar silver" and then there's "polar silver magno". The magno one is the matte version.)

Nailed it, "Polar Silver ...shine" "Polar Silver Magon... matte ". As said the Matte paints are not easy to maintain. Not good for a every day car, for a garage "QUEEN"

Well, the Polar Silver I liked....and I say this seeing the car first hand in that color. I liked it but, to each is there own.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(Note, there's "polar silver" and then there's "polar silver magno". The magno one is the matte version.)

Nailed it, "Polar Silver ...shine" "Polar Silver Magon... matte ". As said the Matte paints are not easy to maintain. Not good for a every day car, for a garage "QUEEN"

Well, the Polar Silver I liked....and I say this seeing the car first hand in that color. I liked it but, to each is there own.
I meant "polar silver magno". The matte one. Although it seems to be a cool color when the car is brand new, it seems like it is not a good choice for the long run.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can live with the "no polishing" rule and even I'd be willing to hand-wash the car for its entire life. But the thing that scares me is the "washing off the bird droppings or tar" rule. I mean, I can't watch my car 8 hours while I'm at work. Sometimes that stuff will stay on for a long time. Plus, that just tells me how sensitive the matte finish truly is. I'm a meticulous detailing car nut, but the matte finish might be even too much for me to handle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Silver looks great on any car. It is easy to clean and has a great contrast with the lighting... especially the tail lights. I have had many silver cars in the past. It's a rich shade!

I have order a CLA250 in Cirrus White but am very tempted to change it to Polar Silver. It seems to look very unique and cool from different video on YouTube. I would like to know what you think.

- Does anyone actually see the color?
- Is it a good color?
- Is it matte? If yes, is it easy to clean and maintain?

Thanks!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I prefer white, so many silver cars on the road.
Interesting that you say that, the previous most popular colour was silver & the like (for the past so many years) & it's now trending towards white as being the most popular colour.

Generally speaking, white is the most popular colour Internationally (and in-particular, Asia) as well as w/ rental & fleet vehicles.

Even more interesting (well, not really but...) is that my father has bought a handful of new vehicles over the years (he keeps them for awhile, to say the least) & almost half of them have been white. And I've bought a handful of new vehicles over the years (I also keep them for awhile) & almost half of them have been green! :p

·
Registered
515 Posts
he he he... i once owned a Green Mercury Cougar with Green Interior... i do have to say the inside was Beautiful... my friends at the time nick named this car, The Money Car... lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
I read that article also explaining the trends of silver and white. I agree with it to some degree, but I disagree about what they said about the color silver. They said silver was popular in the 90's and early 2000's because that was the color of high tech electronics equipment. Well yes and no, because silver was popular way before that. Think about nice German cars from the 1950's. Think about a Mercedes SL Gullwing. Think about a Porsche 550? I bet the color in your head right now is SILVER. I can't imagine a Gullwing not being silver (although I know I've seen them). Think about the old Auto Union races from the late 1930's. They were all silver. Silver just gives the impression of no paint. It's the look of raw metal. A real man's color. It will never ever go entirely out of popularity. But sometimes it does look ugly on some cars. Case in point; the 1970's. Most silver cars from the 1970's just looks bad in my opinion. There were better looking colors during that decade, IMO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am belgian, my first car was an Opel Astra Coupe Bertone (Europa Blue), the next one was an Open Speedster (Silver), then I had a VW Scirocco (White) and finally my CLA (White). A month ago someone crashed in the rear of my CLA which is dead (got confirmation from the insurance company last week). The car was 7 months old. I order the new one and was in the process of buy it white again. And then I said, three white cars in a row, it might be to much. I had in mind to got for mountain grey but I can see a lot of mountain grey in Belgium. At MB dealer there were several Polar Grey and they look awesome so I went for Polar Silver. I keep looking for picture of it on the net and I think I did a good choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am running a polar silver CLA with the black amg rims and it looks spectacular... I can send you some pics later today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have matte polar silver and I love it. I think it looks amazing and everyone who talks to me about my 45 mentions the finish. I disagree with the posts above about it being tough to maintain. I hand wash every three to four weeks but I never have to wax it. I used Dr. Beasleys sealant (took 15 mins to apply). Water still beading 6 months later. No issues. And less maintainence. I've had bird poop and tar and using Beasleys stuff made it no big deal.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I have matte polar silver and I love it. I think it looks amazing and everyone who talks to me about my 45 mentions the finish. I disagree with the posts above about it being tough to maintain. I hand wash every three to four weeks but I never have to wax it. I used Dr. Beasleys sealant (took 15 mins to apply). Water still beading 6 months later. No issues. And less maintainence. I've had bird poop and tar and using Beasleys stuff made it no big deal.
I think there's a lot to be said about the ease of maintaining a matte finish in one climate vs. another. It's a lot easier to maintain a clean finish on a car in a dry, arid climate vs. a climate where temperatures routinely drop below freezing for 4+ months every year and your car is bombarded with snow, ice, sand, salt, brine, chemicals and other debris during those months.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 23 Posts