Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Confused... Have read here and was told by the MB sales rep that it's being made in Germany, yet have seen a number of articles stating otherwise. Anyhow, pulled some strings and put a deposit down and got one of two CLAs that a rep had at a large Philly area dealer. Polar silver, black MB tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia, Sport Pkg, and Pano roof. More than I wanted, but did not want to wait. The rep says it should be arriving at the Baltimore Port in August or Sept.

·
Registered
495 Posts
CEB, Philly is where it's at.

Born and raised in Philly. What dealership are you going thru to get the car?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
All A & B class as well as CLA and future GLA and SLA roadster are all assembled in Kecskemet, Hungary just outside Budapest.
It is a brand new factory going into production this year. Hope they don't have the quality issues US factorieshad with the M-class
15 years ago. Same with the CLA45.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not exactly. My dealer told me that car cpmade in Germany, but I've heard so many times Hungary so I asked my dealer to make a screenshot of my Edition 1 which was produced just a week ago and it clearly says "Germany" under the plant column. Before getting this screenshot I was also pretty sure all CLAs are produced in Hungary, gut now when I have a screenshot of my own order I can assure that at least some of them are made in Germany.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wow I was under the impression it was made in Stuttgart GERMANY. Read bELOW:

n his speech, Dr. Zetsche explained the background of the product decision: "The CLA is based on the Concept Style Coupe, which we introduced last year. The most frequent comment by far was 'Please put this car into series production.' That's precisely what we are doing now." With respect to the excellent performance of the Kecskemét plant's team, Zetsche said: "More than 40.000 B-Class vehicles built here prove that you know how to build great cars. You are doing a first-class job here at the plant." Zetsche also expressed the company's special thanks to all Hungarian partners in the political, administrative and social areas for the continuous, constructive partnership: "We're on a good way to reach our common goal – Kecskemét is developing as a center of the Hungarian automotive industry."
Plant manager Frank Klein added: "The plant's entire team can't wait to get the CLA to our customers as perfectly as the B-Class cars we build in Kecskemét. We aim to follow up seamlessly on what we achieved in our first, very successful production year of 2012." Last year, the Kecskemét plant had reached the first goal to produce more than 40.000 vehicles as planned, thus making an important contribution to the B-Class' best-ever annual sales (worldwide sales of 145,649 units, more than 11 percent over the previous sales record in 2006).
About the Mercedes-Benz Kecskemét plant
The Kecskemét plant and the Rastatt plant together form the production network for the new generation of Mercedes-Benz compact cars. That network significantly contributes to the overall economies of compact car production and allows the flexible and optimum management of both plant's capacity utilization. The Kecskemét plant was opened in March 2012, less than four years after the initial decision for the location, and has since produced the B-Class, which is also built in Rastatt. State-of-the-art, environmentally sound technology is used at the plant. In the meantime, the number of staff has grown from about 2,500 to more than 3,000, in line with the further development of the plant and the preparations for production of the CLA. The plant is the most attractive employer in the region, not least to due to the high attention given to the qualification of its employees. The pioneering efforts of the plant and its Hungarian partners to establish dual vocational and university education based on the German model further contribute to this. Daimler AG and the Hungarian Government in 2012 also signed a joint partnership agreement to establish and reinforce the region of Kecskemét as a center of the Hungarian automobile industry on a long-term basis.
About the Mercedes-Benz CLA
The CLA is set to establish a new segment, with world-leading aerodynamics (Cd = 0.22), avant-garde coupé design and 4MATIC all‑wheel drive (optional). As a new four-door coupé it follows the idea of the Mercedes-Benz CLS, whose design concept has spawned more than its fair share of imitators since its debut in 2003. With its frameless doors, the coupé adopts the design of the Concept Style Coupé into series production. The newcomer features a radar-based braking system (COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST) as standard which is able to warn the driver of an obstacle from a speed of 7 km/h and to initiate precision braking when the driver steps on the brake pedal. The new CLA is available for ordering with immediate effect and will be delivered to dealerships beginning in April (Fuel consumption, combined cycle: 6.2 – 4.2 l/100km, CO2 emissions, combined: 144 - 109 g/km, energy efficiency class: C-A+)*.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My dealer reluctantly acknowledged the CLA will come from Hungary. Using many German components but assembled in Hungary.
If the car is well built, I really don't care that much where it was assembled.
I know some feel an Armani Suit should not say "Made in Jordan." But that's our world today - like the Japanese have mostly given up manufacturing cameras in Japan.
How else do you think you can buy a brand new Mercedes for $30k ?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Some of the best BMWs have come out of South Carolina. Toyota, Honda, Mercedes and other brands have plants in the US, too. The location of the plant is the least of my concerns as long as the cars stand up to Mercedes' manufacturing standards. People deride China for the quality of its products but every iPhone comes out of China and nobody complains about the quality of Apple's product.

-Eric

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not concerned with the car being assembled in Hungary. Audi has new plants in both China and India. As discussed, many companies have a global manufacturing footprint. Just hope there are no supply chain issues.

·
Registered
278 Posts
you shouldnt be concenred the hungary plant already produced 40k B Class. It doesnt really matter where the car is made. Mercedes had to expand its plants because of the high demand in the states.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Engine is definitely built in Germany.
Have to research where the CLA45 is actually assembled.
In North America, for example, the standard Golf are assembled in Mexico but the GTi are built in Germany.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You guys make it sound like the people at the Hungary plant have free reign to do anything they damn well please. Guys, wait until you work in a big global organization some day. You'll find that it doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Engine is definitely built in Germany.
Have to research where the CLA45 is actually assembled.
In North America, for example, the standard Golf are assembled in Mexico but the GTi are built in Germany.
Well they opened up a whole new factory for the Cla 45 AMG. Its in a place called Kolleda I believe or something like that (I remember reading this somewhere just cant remember where.). Don't know if they're building only engines there or the whole cars. Although my best guess is that they're building the whole car there or shipping the engine to Affalterbach to be assembled there. I'll get my auntie in Germany to give the AMG factory in Affalterbach a call to see where they'll be assembled since either way she needs to call to see if I can visit the factory during my visit to Poland.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Kolleda is the engine factory. No one seems to mention anything about where the CLA45 will be put together. I am guessing Hungary.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Kolleda is the engine factory. No one seems to mention anything about where the CLA45 will be put together. I am guessing Hungary.
Well I'll find out for sure from my auntie when she contacts the AMG headquarters in Affalterbach. Will post the answer on here when I get it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts